Tour of Watopia Cycling 2020 FAQ

I’m relatively new to Zwift and want to join my first group ride, but I want to do the shorter route (The Magnificent 8) to get my feet wet. I have a couple questions.

1. What are the start times? I don’t see this information on the companion app.

2. What does the 04:01 mean next the group ride information?

3. I see someone previously mentioned using a MTB. Do I have to use a MTB for the short ride or can I use a road bike?

Thanks…

If we finish a stage but continue riding past the finish point, will we continue to get double XP for the extra miles we ride?

I don’t think so, I assume it is only during the event.

Hi A Con.

1. The tour start 9 March. If you scroll to 9 March you will find the events and times

2. I don’t know where you see the 04:01 but it can be the start time?

3. you can use any bike. TT bike can’t draft so not a good option. The MTB will be fastest in the jungle.

Why are all 5 races so short?
Stamina is not a very useful strenght this way. :slightly_frowning_face:

@Gerrie_Delport. Thanks for the response. For whatever reason, I don’t see times on the companion app…perhaps I have to click on the “+” sign to go into the event to see them However, I see them online when I click into the event when I go to register for the event, so I am good with that. As far as the 04:01 goes (for the short B ride), if you look above the laps for each event on the link you provided you will see it on all of the events (although each event has a slightly different number 04:00, 04:05, 04:10 etc.) I was just curious what those numbers represent.

Those numbers are the start time. 04:05am.

Check if you have filters on in the companion app.

Will do. Thanks

1 Like

I checked my history, and I mentioned this exact same thing for the 2019 tour.
As an EST time zone rider, who rides in the early mornings, why are all the EST start times 4:00am and 6:00am, on every single day!
Why can’t day 1 (of each stage) be 4:00am and 6:00am, day 2 be 5:00am and 7:00am , etc etc?
More variety will help riders fit these big tours into their lives better. Merci!

5 Likes

Yes please, we are still stuck in winter so it will be nice to have some options. Currently I will only be able to do the races because they are short (less than 1 hour) so that I can be off the bike by 7am.

2 Likes

This is my first post, hopefully I get it right. My work schedule needs a starting time of 5 am (too hard getting up at 315 slight_smile: ) If I were to sign up for 4 am, could I still jump in at 5 or 445 to start at the beginning? That would let me finish in time to get kids up and get ready for work…as long as am off by 6. Thank you kindly

1 Like

Hi @c_jones

Welcome to the forum.

The group rides has a 30 minute late start so you could start 4:30 but that is probably to early. I have heard that some people would sign up for an early event and log on the night before and have the avetar just sit there then when the event start the avetar goes in to the event and you can ride when you wake up.
I would not do it but it is up to you.

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Looks like I’m going to get my rear end out of bed then.
Cheers, Chris j

1 Like

Are the extra XP’s awarded at each mile/km, or do you get them all in one lump sum at the end of the ride? I did the long route this morning, and got the usual 20 XP/km, so I was expecting to get the bonus at the end, but I didn’t. I’m on the latest version (1.0.14903) and Apple TV.

4 Likes

This is where I went wrong. I had a filter for C and D races and that meant I didn’t have any group rides listed given that they are A and B rides.

2 Likes

I did this last night for the 7pm race. Logged into the starting pens, then put kids to bed and finally got on the bike at about 8:10.Still finished before the 9pm race started but obviously rode by myself.

Michael, you should have gotten the double XP’s at each mile/km during the ride. I took a look of your ride in the Companion app. On the screenshot of your ride all riders are wearing the wrong jersey (orange) and not the official Tour of Watopia jersey. Also it is strange that at the start of the ride you got the Alpe du Zwift jersey awarded. You climbed the AdZ on the previous ride. In general it is recommended to force close the app on Apple TV after every ride. I am not sure if this problem is related to this, but it is reported that not closing the app after a ride can cause a lot of problems on the next ride (e.g. not receiving ride ons, not able to message etc.). It seems you missed out on 1000 XP’s. Maybe worth to open a support ticket with Zwift?

Where can I find finishing position for group rides in ToW?

hi i want to register me for the third event but it doesn’t work. Not on the companion app an not on zwift on the pc. He shoes me going a but nothing happens.

It does not appear that they turned that on for the group rides? At least mine did not have it. Usually it will popup after you finish the ride, and if you find your activity in the companion app there is a section for results.