Tour of Watopia 2021 FAQ

Any suggestion about which bike frame is better for Stage 4 long ride?
I will try to change the bike for the fist time. It seems clear that a Mountain Bike will be better during the jungle and a Tron or fast bike it will be better during the rest of the stage.

Many thanks in advance.

yup, practice a quick bike change if you haven’t done it before and are concerned about losing time. It can be done in about 10 - 15 seconds and you will easily make that up through the jungle circuit and then switch back to tron on the way out. I’ve done it many times in events like this and it always works out in my favor.

1 Like

Many thanks Mike for your answer.

I will try it.
I want also to try to change between Tron and a more climber bike before the KOM but I think it will not make any difference and it will be a easy way to lose the group and time.

Thanks again !

That wont be very advantageous, the tron is only a few seconds slower so you won’t make that up on the climb. www.Zwiftinsider.com has a video on doing the quick bike change and all the speed tests for climbing for your reference.

1 Like

Bear in mind that it won’t let you change frames unless you’re stationary. Speed up the slowing/stopping time by going into the Pairing screen, which will immediately bring you to a halt, then exit that screen and into the Garage to change frames.

1 Like

keyboard shortcuts are great for this, if you are on a PC. the A key gets you to the pairing screen and puts on the breaks.

1 Like
  1. A
  2. Esc
  3. T
  4. [select bike, start pedalling again]
  5. Esc

Easy peasy, takes seconds. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Can anyone verify this? I completed a longer ride and wanted to do a shorter ride but couldn’t join when the event is about to start. It tries to load when i click join event and it brings me back to where I was.

Not sure if it’s a hardware issue.

I don’t know the particulars of your circumstance, but I’ve been riding one Tour event after the other. The method below works for A to A or A-B. Because Stage 3 (A) is longer than one hour, this results in joining the subsequent event late. The method I’ve been using is as follows:

Reserve back-to-back events on the Companion App;
Ignore the annoying “JOIN EVENT” notices until they go away (event starts);
End first ride and go to start (drop-in) screen;
Select Watopia (stupidly - the world selection changes to a different world between rides!);
Choose “RIDE”;
I will be placed on the last route I rode in Watopia, but the “Join Event” notification will reappear;
Select Join Event;
Zwift will transport you to near the front of the peloton in the already-started next event with a “finding other group riders” message, and then you’re off!

This must be accomplished within the first 30 minutes of the subsequent ride, which I believe is the limit of the late join function

Luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I will use your method if I were to do a back to back ride.

My situation was I did Stage 3 longer ride first and the next day joined a shorter ride but couldnt get in. :frowning:

I’m doing back to back rides too and use the same routine as Wes, but, if I use my Android phone, my InRide 3 sensor unpairs.
The pairing screen shows paired but no watts.
If I close Zwift and reopen, it works just fine.
Just an extra step for Android.

Strange. I’m on Win10/Android too, and don’t have similar problems (related to this technique). I use an Android Tablet for my Companion App (ZCA), and Win10 controls the game and display functions
 connected to a large-screen via HDMI. They work flawlessly together. So, the issue may be unique to your particular configuration

A post was merged into an existing topic: TOW Stage 4 not completed

No probs with running the game on PC , except for how long it takes to load.
The issue described above is only when running the game on the Android phone.
I can go from sleeping to Zwifting in 10-13 min with my phone!

If you’re confused about the recent references to making one or more frame/bike changes in the middle of a ride, keep in mind most of those comments refer to those readers’ takes on how to best run the “A” category distance route which has vastly different terrain, road surfaces and overall distance. If you’re spinning the shorter, B category route, selecting a mountain bike frame from the outset, and without changing frames mid-ride, is generally considered to provide your best outcome. In the Tour de Zwift earlier this year, those people who stopped on a short course to change frames between tarmac and gravel and then back again were quickly left “in the dust”. Anyhow, it sounds like you’re picking things up quite fast! Say hello to the sloth! Enjoy. Ride on.

1 Like

How to record a stage when stage done, recorded & validated by Companion, but the TOW page state didn’t? Is this a known bug? If yes, how to solve this? Thanks for support feedback

Bug is encountered by many of us. And a dedicated topic has been created. So far no solution

Same here.
Submitted a support request and it was confirmed that I completed the stage. Still no tick in the companion app or in game though.

1 Like

Took hours before it happened in my case. I got the email an hour or so after completing the stage (it took more than a day after Stage 3, go figure), and the tickmark in the app wasn’t there half a day later. It made it in during the night somehow.

Thanks @Mike_Rowe1 and @Dave_ZPCMR y changed the bike on stage 4 Long ride and it was quite easy and fast enough !

Another point, I do not know if any change was made or it was only in our ride, but, for the first time in TOW the position was not shown during the stage.
Anyone know if this was only on this ride or will be the same for other stages?
Although I know is a social ride, not a race, it’s always ‘interesting’ to know it which position are you riding, it adds a plus of motivation, it’s more easy to ‘find’ team/friends, etc.
I finished 117/1200 ! I was really happy when I was able to see it in zwiftpower, but it was after the stage.
(I know that this ‘live results’ is another story but the current position was there before).

To finalise, I am really enjoying this tour, congratulations!
I hope to have more and more tours as TOZ, Haute Route, France