Tacx neo problems

FYI - I’ve used a Tacx Neo since September 26th, running Zwift on Apple TV 4K and using the Companion App on iPad. Zero issues with dropping the road feel. All Bluetooth connections, no ANT+ anywhere.

It seems that after updating the Ipad all the problems started.
I have the same problems in the last two days after updating the iPad.
I rode yesterday and today on Watopia course ( the three sisters ) and I felt the same problems that everyone talking about.
This is a big problem.
I’m also using the tacx neo.
Please help.

(Tacx neo rider)
I’ve been riding the past week and had the same issues as everyone else no resistance climbing and 0 road feel. It starts off fine with resistance and road feel but after 20 minutes that is no longer the case. Been riding in watopia mountain route, when i reach the cobble road in the castle thats where I dont feel the road and since it slows down everything it ruins the entire experience. Mine is connected on a mac directly via bluetooth , just hope they can come up with a solution since it ruins the entire experience zwifiting.

Same issue with me. I’m using Tacx Neo with my iphone via bluetooth and I am having exactly same issues like you said. No road feel most of time (I would say 80% no road feel like you said) However, when I use Tacx Neo Utility app, there is no problem with road feel ability. So, I would like to say that there should be some issue with zwift app.

2 Likes

When I connect Tacx Neo via bluetooth using iPad Pro (newest firmware), I don’t see any options available inside zwift app to allow me to adjust settings for ‘roadfeel’. Am I to assume that roadfeel is turned ‘on’ by default in zwift and it’s sending that communication back to my Tacx Neo when connected by bluetooth?? i’m so confused… smart trainer, dumb user in need of help!!!
-chris

The “Road Feel” setting should be the very bottom/last one in the Zwift app “Settings”.

You will need to have your Neo paired as the “Controllable Trainer” in Zwift. Otherwise, you will not get the “road feel” effect.

If you are in “Workout” mode, “road feel” is disabled.

1 Like

hey all, i found out where the settings were hidden in the menu options.
basically, when you “starting your ride” in zwift, then hit the menu options, and scroll down to make sure that the Tacx Neo roadfeel is turned on/off…

Same here. Tried the simulation mode in the Utility app and everything is fine. Not working in Zwift :frowning:

Same problem here… hope that Zwift can find a solution soon…

1 Like

I just got an Apple TV 4K, downloaded the Zwift App and was excited to try the better graphics. Prior to this I had streamed my iPad or MacBook Pro screen to a 3rd Gen Apple TV with lagged and sometimes buffered graphics the result. My setup is a Tacx Neo with CooSpo HR, both connected via Bluetooth. The trainer was working with the Mac/iPad setup but the Apple TV 4K sends no info to the trainer, although it receives the power and cadence info (and HR info). The companion app also didn’t link with the Apple TV or however it knows you are in Zwift. Looking forwards to a solution/update.

I have been using the Neo w/an Apple TV 4K for about a year. It has been great!

What do you mean when you say, “Apple TV 4K sends no info to the trainer”?

• Make sure your Apple TV OS is updated.
  • On the pairing screen, select the Neo for power, cadence, and controllable trainer.
  • Double check that your Companion app is updated. Also, the Companion app needs to be on the same network as your Apple TV.

Thanks, will try when home; away for a few days. As above in the forums, I can pair the Neo with the Apple TV but there is no change in resistance for different gradients. The companion app was working but with a huge lag (was in NYC), and then I closed the app and reopened it but then it didn’t pick up that I was riding in Zwift. The TV and companion app are all the latest versions. I’ll double-check the network, etc, when back at home. But it sounds like others are having the same trouble too. Good that yours is working, gives me hope the upgrade wasn’t a waste and that it will work eventually.

Ah, was a simple problem of being in Erg Mode, which I expect is set as a default in the Zwift tvOS App. If you pause the ride to get the screen where there are settings, etc, within a ride, the top right icon has ‘Workouts’. By de-selecting ‘Use ERG mode’, the system seemed to all start working fine. Although the 18 October post by Michael Sambrano has me a little worried it won’t stay like this. But hopefully resolved now.

I believe ERG mode is enabled by default when you are using Zwift workouts. Maybe I’m wrong, but I would expect that the majority of people w/smart trainers probably prefer ERG mode when doing workouts.

With ERG mode, all you need to do is keep the pedals turning. Zwift will take care of the power (i.e., adjusting trainer resistance). If you increase RPM, the resistance will go down in order to maintain the prescribed interval power. Likewise, if you decrease RPM, the resistance will go up in order to maintain the prescribed interval power. However, as you noticed when in ERG mode, the resistance does not match the in game terrain (i.e.,uphill, downhill, flat).

i just had same issue on the Etape - my resistance was like in erg mode, which started about 1 hour into the event. i literally went from not turning the pedals to spinning at 150 rpm - it just went back and forth, back and forth. i had to drop out of the event, because it isn’t like i can now restart after rebooting. this is the FORTH time this has occurred, and clearly it is now a known issue. i appreciate this is a first world issue, but i had looked forward to completing this event and now it is impossible to - and i won’t get the jersey either.

1 Like

Hi
I got a Tacx Neo 2 and had a lot of issues with it. First it was watts fluctuating a lot when in Erg mode and I got a lot of help from Zwift support but nothing helped. Then cadence started dropping to zero sometimes and my last ride it got overheated after 45 min easy ride. Tacx first recommend me to fix it myself! But now they say it’s caput. I’ll return it and hoppfullt get my money back.

Morning all. To Bump this post and keep it alive. Im new on Zwift having on Friday taken ownership of a new Tacx Neo 1. I’ve noticed the same issues as others here as listed in the above posts, havent tried a workout yet only freeride. My first ride Mountain 8 while hard at first into the mountains, didnt feel as hard as expected after a while, cant say how long though, and i had at no time road feel despite it being set to on. All connections ANT +. Power from my STAGEs PM. I am confused however to which Tacx Neo i should connect to for Power, Cadence, Speed etc, the BT ones or the ANT+ ones? As said i went with the ANT+ ones, i try other settings today.
I then tried Road Grand Tours (Cap Formentor route from Pollencia). The first climb worked fine with resistance feedback (No road feel as its on Asphalt). After a while, perhaps also 20min, i noticed no resistance changes so on the return i quit the session. I then tried a Tacx Koppenberg route last night and it all worked fine, also road feel, the resistance felt very realistic and the cobbles and slippage very good indeed. I conclude the trainer Hardware i would say is fine and the issues lie either Software and or Connections therefore this is what i will try somewhere in New York today (Only option until Tuesday). As a start i have removed Zwift from my Windows 10 Gaming PC (High Spec) and reinstalled.
Seems this is well known already, its a real disappointment this happens on what can only be described as the best Premium Smart Trainer on the market? This should not happen, i have 5 free trail days to sort this otherwise makes no sense to subscribe to Zwift i guess.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but the resistance issues are primarily ERG (workout mode) related. I have lost resistance only once with my NEO. Next, resistance and road feel are two separate issues. If you’re riding around and suddenly you’re spinning your 54/11 and going nowhere fast, that is a resistance issue. If you’re not feeling changes when you hit the cobbles, wood planks, etc., that is a road feel issue.

You can pair either your Stages or the Neo as the ‘power’ but to get resistance (gradient changes) and road feel (surface changes) the ‘controllable trainer’ must be paired to the NEO. Also for road feel, ‘road feel’ has to be turned on in the Zwift settings. Might want to double check that the next time you Zwift.

I primarily use BLE but that is because I primarily use an Apple TV for Zwift. With a PC, you could use either BLE or ANT+. I would recommend using ANT+ w/a USB extension which is typically a bulletproof configuration. With my MacBook, I go the ANT+ route.

I recently bought an Apple TV 4K and Neo especially to use with Zwift. All has been perfect until yesterday when the trainer appeared to drop into ERG mode during TDZ stage 2. The resistance stopped changing, but the power reading could be made to go up/down by changing gear and cadence.

If you could make the power go up/down by changing gear and cadence, then that isn’t ERG mode. ERG mode maintains a constant power regardless of your gearing or cadence.

Resistance loss would feel like the gear you were in suddenly got easy. For example you’re doing 275W at 90rpm and boom! Same gear, same cadence and your power drops substantially to something like 200W or whatever. Thankfully, I have had only had this happen once. A complete shutdown and restart of everything including the NEO returned things to normal.