Stuck with mountain bike & Zwift won’t let me switch

It will take a little longer to get a patch out to iOS and TVOS devices due to Apple’s app store review system.

1 Like

It pays to test before releasing into an app ecosystem with a slow review process. It also pays to make apps pull time-dependent info like event data independent from app updates.

That stupid Scott POS mountain bike sucks - big time

In order to change the bike you’re using, your avatar must be completely stopped. Then you can go into the garage and choose the bike you want to use.

Zwift, please do NOT automatically select a bike for me. It was extremely annoying to have to stop my warmup once I realized that my handlebars were different and that I was suddenly using the mountain bike. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to change my bike without stopping my ride, which cost me my ride position.

The good news is now you know how to change your bike. :+1:

2 Likes

on the positive side, you qualified for the mountain bike, which is not easy to do… but seriously, its just a bug…gotta hang tough and realize these things happen… just roll with it, and work a bit harder until they fix it.

i’m on Apple TV and waiting 2 days so far…so be happy about your 5 minutes of inconvenience… clearly a first-world problem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The fix was released 14 hours ago for Mac, Win 10 and android. I’m sure you know that ATV and iOS take longer due to Apple’s process.

Gotta say, I’m actually a little bit impressed how quickly they fixed it. I know it affected everyone, but it wasn’t a complete showstopper. People could still swap to other bikes, just they had to a) notice and b) do it every time.

Plenty of Zwift bugs go unfixed for weeks or months, so to turn it around in less than 24 hours is noteworthy.

1 Like

It’s a pref file bug, that takes about 5 seconds to fix (numerous people have fixed it themselves).

This said, the more impressive part is that they released a version with that bug in it. Regression testing looks minimalist at best.

2 Likes

I know that, I posted exactly that information near the start of this thread.

But it still potentially takes a code update rather than simply shipping out a new prefs.xml. If the intended behaviour is to default to “on” for people in the mission, but “off” for everyone else, it couldn’t be done simply with the prefs file.

Regression implies something that was working before no longer working; but I don’t think they’ve tried to do things this way before.

I agree it does seem the sort of thing that should have been picked up in UAT though (if not as part of behavioural testing during development). But hey ho, stuff happens. And the thing about testing is that people can only test for things they expect, know or think to test for. Not everyone is good at trying things not on the happy path, so these things can get missed.

1 Like

Regression is wider than that - it verifies that an update does not do unintended changes. And changes that intend to introduce a default bike selection… should definitely be tested not to cause unintended bike selection.

1 Like

True enough, but if this is new functionality, there’s no previously correctly performing version to compare to. I suppose the test might be “is the user on the same bike they were on when they ended their previous session” though.

I’m not sure Zwift have testing in the sense of test suites that can be re-run against updated code. Maybe they do, but previously fixed bugs have come back at times, so I dunno.

1 Like

Lucky you. I noticed a couple minutes before a race, but was handicapped trying to navigate the garage with Apple TV remote. Sort of like trying to eat Chinese food with only one chopstick. Needless to say the remote wasn’t responsive enough to for me to do anything…was lucky to exit in time to start the race. Painful doing a Crit on a mtn bike !!!

Nice… great idea. Extra sweat a bonus too!

Other bug that might be related is ride ons… got a bunch but none showed up in jersey pockets

Seems like it started with the update

I think the issue with the ‘Ride Ons’ is an old bug. It always happens when you are not closing the app after a ride (I am using iOS). Happened a couple of times to me when exiting a ride and starting another ride straight away. Force closing the app after every ride, becomes a (annoying) routine for every zwifter.

Good news… mtn bike fix is in for ATV!!! We’ll done zwift. Now everyone has to ride the single track and actually EARN the mountain bike… get ready for the complainers who now want to keep the assigned mountain bike :slight_smile:

Actually, I think the basic Zwift Mountain Bike is available in everyone’s garage now, even if they haven’t tried the steering course.

Correct you are, Daren.
The community spoke, and we replied by giving it to everyone, with optional purchasables in the Drop Shop!

1 Like