Show me the reviews... Something is fishy here

I bought and received my ZWIFT Hub One today, and I just printed my return label. My overall concern here is that this product on the ZWIFT shop has 3 reviews since October, which I found strange before buying, but now totally understand. As many people know, the Hub’s preinstalled QR axle is barely sticking out of the cog and stripping it even with your own tools is quite easy to do, like I learned. Service acknowledged the known issue and sent the RMA (refund) link without even trying to help. Clearly, it’s that bad? I proceeded to look into this and sure enough there’s MANY people like me, I then went to write a review on the shop, and I gave it an honest review, and it’s not there… So again, 3 reviews in 4 months is extremely suspicious. I intend to bring this to local news media consumer help teams and the BBB, as this is just too weird not to report and make people aware of. Ride on… if you can?

Ed

I can’t imagine a world where my local news would care about the number of reviews of the Zwift Hub on its store page. Maybe your area’s local news focuses on very different things.

I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the hub though.

1 Like

A tech hardware company suppressing reviews to hide a defective product is very newsworthy where I live. You don’t find it suspicious they have 3 reviews within one week then nothing? Even after Christmas?

I love a good honest review. But is Zwift legally obligated to show bad reviews on their website? Asking honestly as I don’t know the answer…but I suspect they aren’t.

If they didn’t post any reviews, just the product, would that be bad? (I.E. are they obligated to post reviews at all?)

If a company, in their marketing material, does not list any negatives (a common practice, isn’t that?) are they doing something wrong? So for example, if they put out a commercial for the Hub, we wouldn’t expect them to have a portion of the video where they read bad reviews, right? Book dust jackets don’t include quotes from people who hated the book :slight_smile:

So is the site where they sell the Hub a place for marketing, or a place where they are obligated to post all reviews? Or if not ‘all’, then ‘balanced’ reviews?

I know these days we’re a little spoiled by being able to find open/unmoderated reviews in many places. But is there an obligation that companies do that? Again, actual question, as different places may have different laws.

Edit: the adaptor issue is ridiculous, and something that should be easily fixable in the factory–just don’t torque the ****ing thing down so tightly. It’s fairly comical that they are still dealing with that issue. (It’s also something that many LBS’s have been sorting out for people, for free. Just takes the right tools and some finesse.)

that might be news, if they were doing that. in reality, nobody leaves product reviews anywhere except youtube, reddit and amazon. although my preferred method of gathering sentiment is “word of mouth”

don’t think so

no obligation, legally or morally

to answer your rhetorical questions that you asked rhetorically, i don’t think the multi million dollar company is blatantly violating any major laws, and my own lawyer advises me not to assert that they are intentionally or unintentionally breaking any minor ones either

I’m not sure either but wouldn’t be surprised if that answer was different between the EU and North America.

I don’t believe anybody is obligated to show any reviews anywhere. Living in the EU.

I would agree that only keeping positive reviews in is misleading. Ed’s negative review should be shown, with any others, or none at all. Don’t know about legal obligations but this could definitely lead to bad press in NL if a consumer association would pick it up and find it worth their effort.

1 Like

See that’s interesting. Here in the States, my impression is that the company’s own page is going to be viewed more like marketing than a place where they’ll post anything anyone says as a review.

Although I should also point out that one of those three reviews for the Hub is a 2 star review that ends with “I would suggest not wasting your time and avoid the hub to begin with.” So, Zwift clearly isn’t blocking negative reviews :slight_smile:

But the general point is still an interesting difference maybe between cultures. And it makes sense that the Dutch would expect “it’s crap” reviews to get posted. There’s a certain ‘directness’ you don’t always find in the US :smiley:

I trusted the OP on all reviews being positive to be honest. Indeed, one of the three is actually a two star rating. Still not seeing his review in there though.

I just reread, OP doesn’t claim they’re all positive, just that there’s only three. But that 1/3rd of the reviews says “don’t buy this product” takes the teeth of of the criticism a little bit, IMO. My perspective from the culture I live in is that I don’t really assume that the reviews on a company’s own page are necessarily all the reviews they’ve gotten. I honestly don’t think about it that much, in large part because I don’t go to the company’s own page for reviews :slight_smile:

I do doubt that an organization like the BBB would do anything in a case like this, though.

Actually, according to the FTC Consumer Review Fairness Act, it’s a protected right…

to that I’d say, you’re right, it’s a capitalist society no? but this is a piece of exercise equipment, and to sell it with a known setup issue, knowing someone could injure themselves removing that (i.e. a cut) is acting in bad faith IMO.

see that’s where it got weirder for me, the setup videos on YouTube are LITTERED with this issue for many months. Which TBH I gave myself some blame for not noticing that. Lesson learned.

So, with the recent discontiuation of the product, and to move to the Kickr variation, I am even more skeptical. Considering they were in active litigation to get this done with Kickr, They’d need to protect their IP even more, remember we still don’t know the terms of the settlement, or am I wrong?

In the US, there is a government agency called the FTC, and they have something called the Consumer Review Fairness Act (CRFA). And I’m allowed to post my reviews in any forum, including theirs.

The CRFA is about non-disparagement clauses. It says essentially that a company can’t force you to not post negative reviews as a requirement of buying their product.

It says nothing AFAIK about a company being forced to post those reviews on their website.

1 Like

you’re picking me apart here! lol. love the engagement thank you. So to this I’d say look closer. Yes, there were 2 good and 1 2 star, not so good. But, how does this product get those 3 balanced reviews in Oct '23, then it goes cold for 3 whole months. As of this writing, I see Zwift Hub now has 5 reviews up, and the 2 new ones are positive as well, and neither are mine.

if they create the forum to allow me to review though, why would they be allowed to suppress my review?

They’re only suppressing your review on their site. They aren’t suppressing your ability to post that review anywhere else.

The CRFA was created because companies were finding negative reviews of their products online, and trying to fine customers money, claiming the TOS of the product prevented the customer from posting negative reviews. CRFA put a stop to that. But it does not require the company themselves to post those negative reviews.

It’s the same differentiation as the right to free speech–your right to free speech is a negative right. It just means that other people in most circumstances aren’t allowed to stop you from expressing your opinion. There is no burden on anyone else to help you express your opinion, give you a platform, etc.

You’re right that they aren’t posting a lot of reviews, absolutely right. My claim is that they don’t seem to be legally required to. So for example going to the BBB isn’t likely to have much of an impact, imo.

1 Like