Setting the Running Pace

I’ve set my profile with the time per mile that I would like to run. I had assumed that this info would populate the 5K, etc fields, but it doesn’t, so I estimate what that would be (it’s probably not very accurate).
At any rate, I then select a route and begin running, following the prompts; however the indicated pace is much slower than what I have put in my profile.
I’m not sure how to make the pace correlate with what I’ve put in my profile, so when I run, I manually adjust the pace, but I doubt that this is how it should work
Thanks,
marc

Your times on your profile will be automatically detected as far as I can remember. Once you’ve run, it will populate your fastest mile/5k and I think it then deducts the rest.

How fast you want to run, you set on your treadmill… or am I misunderstanding something?

Your running pace that you’ve set in your profile is only relevant if you are doing a workout, it will use your 10k time to base the speed on.

If you are just running then yes the speed is set by you needed on how fast you want to run.

If the treadmill speed isn’t correlating to the Zwift speed then the device you are using to record speed will need calibrating.

How are you recording your pace?

Hi Christo,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I went back into my profile, and deleted all of the times. I then set the first box, pace per mile, to 9:00:00. Zwift then automatically suggests the remaining boxes (5k, half marathon, etc.). What’s confusing is that the marathon time is coming up as 298:25:05, which roughly translates into a 5 hour marathon time. If a 9 min mile pace is kept up, the finishing marathon time should be just under 4 hours.
That said, once I have entered the mile pace in my profile, I then select a course with a suitable distance for where I am with training. If I choose a 4 mile course, Zwift will start me off at a 15 min per mile pace. When this happens, as you point out, I no longer use the Zwift instructions that show up on the screen, but instead, set my own pace.
I didn’t think that it would work like this.
If you’re saying that Zwift uses my historical data for my fastest mile then sets the screen prompts than that would yield the slow marathon pace, as the first time I used Zwift, I followed the prompts and when as fast or as slow as the program recommended, which was very slow.
I’ll try to delete everything and start again.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply and your understanding.
Marc

Marc,

I think you are misunderstanding the difference between a free run and a workout. A free run will not suggest any pace, you run at what you want. A workout will suggest the pace.

Your 1 mile time will be different to your marathon time as it uses your fastest time. If you don’t have a fastest time for that distance it’ll estimate it.

It’s working out that if your fastest possible mile is 9 min then your marathon pace will be slower as you can’t possibly run 26 miles at your fastest mile pace.

If you run faster than 9 min miles it’ll with adjust your estimated times.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand the difference between a free run and a workout. The issue that I have with a workout is that I usually can’t find the distance that I would like to run, and the training programs are not too much help as they either increase the mileage too quickly or they require more days of the week thnt I put into my training.

As far as my pace. It is slower than 9 min miles now; although, 30 years ago, that was good. That being said, I really do run a marathon at a consistent pace. The first few miles are slow, as you would expect for a middle of the pack runner, but after that my times don’t vary too much.
That’s how I train. I never worry about a personal best, but that’s a different topic.
Thanks,
Marc

There aren’t the massive range of workouts that you get with cycling but then you have to remember that running is in beta testing and probably will be forever.
That’s why it’s free.

Most of the workouts are time based and because of people’s varying running paces the distance covered will vary greatly.

You sound like a diesel engine Hugh. Gets up to speed and then just carries on.
It’s like me too.
As for your speed if its any comfort I’ve had an 8 year break from running but somehow have returned and am running quicker than ever. There’s sometimes life in an old dog.
For me i have no targets or goals, i just enjoy running no matter how quick or slow i might be.

Run On!

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the note. I ran my first marathon when I was 40. It was the NYC Marathon and back then, entry was based on postmarked time. We found a box that was collected just after midnight. Those were also the years when your time was the gun time as there were no chips in 1988.

After that my marathons were spaced every 4 to 8 years :slight_smile:

I recently started doing half marathons, which I don’t like as there isn’t much of a challenge. The reason for doing this was the novelty of a particular race. It’s called the “End of the Road” Half Marathon, near Breezewood PA. It’s run on an abandoned section of the PA Turnpike and goes through two, unlit tunnels. You have to carry some sort of lighting. It’s an out and back so you’re in the tunnels for about 4 miles. It’s fun.

This year, my wife has never seen a boardwalk, so I signed up for the WIldwood Crest Half Marathon. My challenge this time is to train entirely on a treadmill. I figure, I’ve done the distance, I know how long it will take, I’m still reluctant to run with a group, so try a treadmill which I normally avoid.

While there are some things that I don’t like about Zwift running, I do like having a blond mohawk and a beard :slight_smile:

Marc