Scotland Map Release [2023]

Something that I can agree with Paul. :+1::joy::sunglasses:

Zwift know that the average Zwifter only ride about 17mile (27km) per session so no need to make routes a lot longer than that.

I would like to see more 50km routes without multiple laps.

3 Likes

I don’t have an issue with short routes I have an issue with worlds with 5 routes. Fleshout the other worlds each world consisting of <5 routes is a joke

1 Like

This is why you go to the Zwifthacks website and select Scotland as the world. So much easier and actually gives you information you need.

Highlights are WTRL has a couple of events in a couple of days then it’s Stage 8 of the TDZ. Next week there’s 3 different Ride Scotland group rides (multiple times, 3 different routes for each ride though) and the Zwift monthly races have stage 1 in Scotland.

You know that. I know that. But the average Zwifter almost certainly doesn’t know that.

2 Likes

Gravel effectively adds 2% to the gradient. Uphill, everywhere.

2 Likes

Go make a few worlds exactly as you would like them to be and report back.

I would guess he meant that, since various road surfaces affect everyone in the same way, they make no net difference to any individual (?)

2 Likes

Would the average go up if there was more choice of longer routes though? Seems like some confirmation bias. But for now I’ll take any new roads.

1 Like

This map was largely built for the UCIs with a triple header event, but also suitable for rides and races in the Community.

2 Likes

Even if the average user’s desired ride remains constant, route development should not involve only creating routes for the average user. There should be some amount of short, medium, long, very long routes being added, even if the majority cater to the average user. Same for climbs. Short and medium distances are pretty well covered. Long, very long, and long climbs are somewhat neglected.

2 Likes

I think People have a set time they can dedicate to training and the average rider travel at a certain speed therefore they cover set amount of distance. I usually just load a map and route and do laps while doing my workout, so it is nice if the route is so that it has different scenery even if I have to do a few laps.

Maps are build for a set purpose and this one was built for the UCI event.

Who cares!
Give us a game that works on pc as it should be, instead of all this.
With every update, the game gets worse …

1 Like

I would not say it get worse. Things break yes then it gets fixed, what I see is things are breaking because Zwift is working on the code and that is a good thing it mean that new things are coming. If nothing broke then we would assume Zwift has reached its potential and no improvements is being made apart from a few cosmetic changes.

Come on Gerrie, this doesn’t make any sense!

Signs of innovation don’t have anything to do with how badly things break in Zwift. That’s a sign of how much of a mess their codebase is in, not a sign of how much new stuff we’re getting.

9 Likes

Genuis!

2 Likes

I did not mean they break stuff to improve Zwift. :roll_eyes:

There should not be things breaking in a perfect world.
What I wanted to get to is at least we get a sense that they are working on various little things and touching code.

It also does not mean the code is a mess, It can be as simple as a test code was included in the final build. Programming with multiple people working on the same cod is not simple.

Shoddy review/release practices. :wink:

But it’s not overly difficult either. It’s a very well known problem. In these days of version control systems like git, unit and behavioural/integration testing and CI/CD pipelines built on Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Azure DevOps or any similar technologies, it can actually be a pretty smooth process.

5 Likes

Terrible cop out excuse lmaoo really? Tell me to make maps? pathetic for zwift doing nothing but making tiny little worlds with 3-5 routes.

They are making worlds every once in awhile they just need to focus on building up existing worlds or releasing worlds with more than a pitiful amount of routes. It’s embarrassing how many worlds now have barely more than 2 routes or 2 routes with 1-2 variations.

France, Bologna, Scotland, Paris, Austria, Yorkshire, Richmond are all tiny little worlds with almost no variation and no more than 5 routes with many overlapping. Pretty much watopia, Makuri Islands, NY and London are not tiny little worlds and Watopia the only big world.

The obsession with creating a world with 3 routes because it has a past or future UCI course is a terrible path to follow.

4 Likes

All true and necessary, but there must be a lot of complexity and manual work around testing with paired hardware. I can see how the ANT+ / ERG mode bug might escape an automated system. Not to excuse it though - that kind of testing is 100% required.

1 Like