Scotland Map is coming

Yeah. The problem is that the Real Life locations like London, Paris and New York use Real Life GPS coordinates (in part at least) so if you suddenly teleported from one to the other then Garmin, Strava etc would be a bit messed up.

What happens now if you for example, ride with a PP in Makuri, then hit Join Event for a race in New York, then Join Event for another ride that you might have signed up for in Paris etc?

@Wannie AFAIK, this results in two events in your Zwift log - it terminates and saves the first one, and starts a new one.

1 Like

Yes, they could, but judging by a previous conversation with one of their reps, they have no intention of doing so ā€¦ which is why Zwiftā€™s new maps are all placed on isolated Pacific Islands where there are no roads to follow (and the volcano is in the ocean).

There is a Zwiftmap for Strava add-on in Chrome that overlays Zwift maps on Zwift activities. Itā€™s only a visual fix though.

And only you will see this visual fix on your PC.

1 Like

Correct (well, I see it for anyoneā€™s Zwift rides on Strava so if we all installed itā€¦) :wink:

I find it impossible to get my bearings in Neokyo and can never fathom which way Iā€™m going or whatā€™s up coming around the next corner.

Yep, they really did a great job replicating the feeling you get trying to find your way around a Japanese metropolis. Maybe not the smoothest indoor training experience (I donā€™t even try to manually navigate in Neokyo), but itā€™s very realistic.

Makuri, where the streets have no name.

More realism. Most streets in Japan donā€™t have names or numbers :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say Friday the 13th as Zwift updates are always a nightmare.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. In another thread, we were talking about it: if Stravaā€™s series of points in the gpx file have one at x and another at y, but there is distance between them, Strava draws a straight line between them. I assume this is the same for any two gpx points, which are recorded relatively close to each other- itā€™s just a collection of itty-bitty straight lines, but when we zoom out enough (which would be most map views) it looks like a continuous, analog path. However, I think distance is added to your total only if you were actually moving. If your bike computer didnā€™t record moving, but you actually did move, Strava still records a straight line between the stop and far-away start points. This happens to me with MTB/IRL rides when I stop and my Garmin takes a second to realize Iā€™m moving again, only recording a point when it realizes 1-2 seconds after I start moving.

For Zwift, you could have a turnoff that teleports you to a different world. A straight line could be drawn between your point 1 (say somewhere in downtown Watopia) and point 2 (say at the bottom of the rolling part in Crit City). If I am thinking right, Strava wouldnā€™t have to do anything. Zwift could just implement tunnels that you would ride through and suddenly appear in the next world.
Then only problem would be actually having each part of the map visible without seeing half the world at once.

I donā€™t know the technicalities for sure, just what I have surmised so far. Iā€™m not sure what to think about those Strava activities when you forget to hit stop, drive home (or even dozens of miles away) and have a huge straight line that includes the distance of the car rideā€¦ though there are a lot of exceptionsā€¦
#Ithink :laughing:

Yep - those are what Iā€™m thinking of too.

The straight lines you mention connecting the different worlds ridden would be included in the distance calculation. That would be quite a bike ride.

1 Like

If Zwift wanted to do this They would just move all the world next to each other and reset all Strava records, that will solve the straight line issue.

The problem is loading the big map. There could be tunnels where you canā€™t make a u-turn and Zwift can load the next map while you ride in the tunnel, some people will ride more time than others while they load the map, so no group rides, races or meetups will be using multiple maps.

Looking at the Zwift stats for 2022 they calculated the average Zwifter ride 17.7 miles, with the size of the maps most wonā€™t make it to the edge of the map to enter a tunnel.

2 Likes

I can see a point to merging worlds together (the fictional ones), but you could get around the need for that with more than 3 worlds available each week.

The only problem is that some worlds might be less crowded.

I had the feeling it was that way, I couldnā€™t remember exactly.

Yes! Although weā€™d lose all our segment timesā€¦ :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Makuri, where the postman never rings.

1 Like

9 Likes

Cool! The question is, where will Strava put the GPS data? Surely within Scotland somewhereā€¦