Scotland Map is coming

I like the crowds cheering. “Haha, they’re cheering for ME!”

Worlds pre-load a whole load of assets, different locations, different assets.

Not to mention that even in worlds like makuri it seems they have different “sea-levels” depending on which bit you are in, which has in the past caused visual and kickr climb issues.

Then they all have real world lat and lon coordinates for uploading to strava, so to add them together you would have problems there too.

Could all these things be worked around? I’m sure they could, but then you are taking time away from developing other things too.

1 Like

Route details spotted on the Tour de Zwift Stage 8 (Scotland) info page

World: Scotland / Glasgow

Route: Rolling Highlands

Laps: 1

Distance: 14.1 km // 8.7 mi

Elevation: 100 m // 328 ft

*NEW ROUTE BADGE

2 Likes

If there isn’t a race series on the Rolling Highlands called “There Can Be Only One”, something is wrong with the world.

10 Likes

Looking fwd to those, especially as I don’t particularly like makuri

1 Like

I’ll take Watopia over Makuri any day… not sure why but it just has a nicer ride feel to me. I’m looking forward to more Watopia expansions myself.

2 Likes

I quite like Makuri. The ability to ride from town to the country, I like the fake-Japan vibe, I love the sooooo many sprint segmentyness of it. It’s currently lacking a big KOM, but hopefully that’s coming. And hopefully they’ll make Makuri an always accessible world soon. It’s big enough on its own now to keep it from being boring.

Hopefully Scotland will be the same. Although I do wish they’d branch out to even more areas of the world. I wouldn’t mind seeing some riding locations in any part of Africa, or the Outback.

1 Like

Pretty sure Scotland will be the same as the other worlds courses… limited to just a few routes and never expanded.
A few months ago when they were releasing Makuri they had said it would be at least as big as Watopia and an evolving world… As with everything else, there will be many different opinions…
I still think a Europa map would be the next best expandable map… Zwiftify the most iconic hills and roads from cycling’s history… then over time work outwards from there.

3 Likes

For me it comes down to two things.

1. Lighting effects. The lighting in Makuri and France is different than Watopia therefore I prefer Watopia and the other older maps.

2. Roads in Makuri are all over the place intersecting and criss cross so that you never know where you are or how to get from A to B. Watopia is nice and open with only a few intersections.

9 Likes

I can bet my Zwift account that Scotland won’t ever be expanded, and nor should it IMO.

I’d like to see France become the 3rd big world, and that’s probably enough - work on those 3, and add-in the odd event based world.

5 Likes

*screenshots above post

9 Likes

@James_Zwift collecting receipts, watch out @gloscherrybomb

3 Likes

That plan would be great!

Frankly, I wouldn’t mind seeing diversification. Would it be cool to ride the Koppenberg or the Muur? Sure. But most of Watopia already looks like Europe and North America. I’ve played enough Geoguessr over the years to know there are plenty of excellent places in the world that are not Europe and North America that I’d like to ride in.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they added a 5 metres detour and called it in

For a route with Highlands in the name, seems like a pretty low relative elevation gain.

1 Like

you must start high… lol

1 Like

This is probably just as a result of you riding it less.osnt it?

I think it is also a failing of the map on the companion app, no road names, place names or descriptions on the turns telling you where they’re going, so you can’t really plan a few turns ahead unless you know the map well

That can be , although we ride it a lot. I also have a huge map on my third screen.

then my second point comes in to play

1 Like