Rides aren't reliably staying on routes

I did a workout on the Neokyo All-Nighter route last night and I didn’t get credit in the game for completing the route until the 38 km mark! It’s listed in the selector as a 24.3 km route. I noticed that it took me around the harbour twice at the beginning; did it miss a turn?

After my workout ended, it showed a progress bar for the route – but the progress bar was full and it read “0 m” remaining. I was determined to get credit so I pressed on – it finally started counting down meters with about 1500 m to go.

Here’s a link to the activity: The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App.
And my Zwift log: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/tdsmith/8933e89a964d6aa43d616f8b0a1638de/raw/0aa1c5395f4299df0bf6574ebed5d606f5c23b8a/Log.txt

Some environment details:
Zwift 1.19.0
macOS 12.0.1
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) (10-core M1 Pro)
Training with a 4iiii Fliiiight connected by Bluetooth

You can post links now.

1 Like

That’s odd. I got the route badge at the advertised distance.

@Tim_Smith_YVR - I just did the All-Nighter and got the badge 24.3k’s in. I note you didnt follow the same path as per Zwiftinsider map or me! In fact you even started off in a different direction so something is a bit off . Did you do any manual turns at anytime?

You can compare activities - mine is 952545421928972304
Just compared our logs - your ride starts at line 12700’ish by the looks but not all of it is there so cant see whether any manual turns are recorded or other strange things.

:man_shrugging:

Thanks, updated the original post with links. The log should be untruncated now.

I’m riding with the Zwift Companion app on Android and it’s possible I fat-fingered something but as far as I know I just selected the route, selected the workout, and started pedaling – I didn’t intentionally touch the turn (or u-turn!) buttons.

Looks like your All-nighter route started 18min:13secs into your ride, so the first part was just a ride. That is because you were facing the wrong way at the start and therefore didn’t trip the route markers till you rode back to the start and then you were facing the right way.

No record of you hitting the u-turn button either throughout the entire Zwift session. And cant blame the workout for causing anything as that started after the ride started.

Strange how whatever ride it took you on in those first 18mnutes (it dosn’t appear to be a Neokyo route) that it then followed the route you selected.

So a glitch at the beginning of your ride (facing wrong way) had some consequences. Will be interesting to see if we get reports of any others having similar issues or if this is a one-off.

1 Like

I had a similar problem this morning with Temples and Towers on AppleTV. Supposed to be a 32.6km route with .8km lead-in, but I did not finish until 42.7 km!! Activity # 952975082194501632 .
It took me on an additional loop west out to the harbor that isn’t shown on the “official” route map. What was odd was that it had me do an immediate U-turn out of the spawn area, and I am pretty sure I did not command that myself by accident (I don’t think I even had the Companion app open yet).

Yep, sounds the same Mark - you took off the same way Tim did though he spent extra time by the harbour before he got back and crossed the start position in the right direction. You can search your log for “manual” in your log.txt to check for manual turn but I suspect something else is causing some people to start a couple of the routes the wrong.

@shooj something to pass to the team I suspect.

Unfortunately I’m using AppleTV 4K, so pretty sure there is no ride log available for me to look at. But it definitely looks like U-turn out of the box is what started it. This then sent me ALL the way to the other end of the city, sent me on the big loop by the harbor, then brought me back across town on back the same road across town before finally crossing the “official” start line for the route. Everything was good after that.

1 Like

I experienced the same issue that Mark did with Temples and Towers last night on Apple TV 4K. I experienced an immediate U-turn out of the spawn area even though I did not command that myself. I didn’t get my badge because I gave up early - thinking that regardless of how far I rode, I wouldn’t get the badge. As you can see with the photo that I’ve uploaded, it says that I have 0 ft to go to complete the Temples and Towers route. It said that once I had completed the 20.3 miles plus 0.5 miles lead in. It should never say 0 feet to go because at that point, it should say “Completed”, correct? Anyway, I now know from Mark that I just need to keep riding 6.2 more miles (or whatever) to eventually get the badge.

3 Likes

I had a Neokyo routing “error” happen to me a 2nd time today- this time when trying to collect the “Railways and Rooftops” badge. see activity id: 954514653436723216. I started at the Arcade as expected for the 2.2km lead in. However instead of turning up the ramp onto the Neokyo Railroad, I got sent out west for two loops of the harbor before being routed back into town and through the Arcade,
then out to the tunnel leaving Neokyo for the countryside. At that point I finally decided to pull the plug and quit the ride.

Previous routing anomaly was with Apple TV client. Today, was the 3rd ride on a newly built Windows 10 client. I have not yet had a chance to dig through the ride log yet, but am SURE I did not command any manual turns off the intended route!!

I went and did 3 routes yesterday to see if I could replicate the issues you guys are having. Clean as a whistle. Try various restarts and selecting all the different routes etc and made sure I was facing the right way (I did that about 20 times).

I was beginning to think that it maybe a platform thing (I’m win10) but you’ve blown that theory. Do you mind sending your ride log file to me or host it somewhere? zwiftposts at gmail.com and drop a note here if/when you do - I’m keen to have a good look for anything that might be at odds with my own log files…

I have emailed the log to the zwiftposts email address as you requested. Will be interested in what you see.

1 Like

@Mark_Ganzer What I could see was that initially Rooftop Rendezvous was the default route (if you didnt select anything, that’s the route you should have started on / pre-selected by the looks) then about 15 seconds later, you selected Railways and Rooftops. You didn’t appear to follow any route despite not instigating manual or u turn.

So I couldn’t see anything wrong as such, which is a positive insomuch as it validates that you chose your route and Zwift sent you off the wrong way so its a bug with that map. The fact the you guys have been sent off on routes that dont exist is interesting as I didnt think that was possible.

If you want to click off badges going forward, compare your starting position/direction with say Zwiftinsider maps to make sure you are facing the right way. And if you have more instances, post back here.

Sounds like these logs need to go to Zwift support.

1 Like

I had another very silly ride attempting the Figure 8 Reverse ride in Watopia today. I was routed up the Hilly KOM three times – no figure eights about it.

The activity

The log

I was aware I was off-route but after my workout the route distance countdown bar showed there was only a few kilometers left, which matched the published distance of the route. I decided to keep going to see what would happen, and it counted down to 0.5 km and then reset to about 2200 m and then started counting up. You might be able to see that in the screenshots on the activity. Oh well.

I’ve had trouble with this route before; my white whale!

Not quite a Figure 8!

I flagged this thread to Zwift (@shooj) earlier but he is a busy person and may have missed so follow Steve’s advice from above, get through to Zwift support and send your logs through to them and point them to this thread. Since the problem is wider than Neokyo based routes, I’m sure they will want to nip this in the bud - the last time people had route issues that caused badges to be missed, there were just about riots around here :rofl: Pretty sure this wont be widespread though as not much noise around.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a reinstall?

Found this in your log file:
[17:37:23] Loading routes…
[17:37:23] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes11.xml
[17:37:23] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes11.xml
… etc.

Could this be the reason, or is it normal?
Have no opportunity to take a look at my log files now…

1 Like

I get those too so had dismissed but the suggestion for a reinstall is aligned insomuch maybe whatever file they load that dictates where to turn is corrupt (or something). But maybe I get the error due to same reason (not often it seems) and my errors are in parts of the data that arent relevant?!?!? He also had that error in his earlier log file too. Be good to know whether you have the file that is referenced and whether you have the same entry also Milan.

Hi Dean,
opened my last log file; there are some entries, too:
[18:07:54] Loading routes…
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes11.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes11.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes12.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes12.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes16.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes16.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes24.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes24.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes33.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes33.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadincheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes36.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - Cannot find leadinhighrescheckpoint in data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes36.xml
[18:07:54] WARN : Load Route Warning - failed to open “data/Worlds/world1/routes/routes60.xml”
[18:07:54] Route manager info: 60 routes

So seems to be common (perhaps anybody in forum knows which routes are affected)…
But I never had this issue.

Sorry, no idea.

1 Like