Ride Alone & Enjoy the Scenery

Hi, I’ve enjoyed the ride and scenery in various swift locations. I think the scenery can be enjoyed more if less there are less riders on the road, and would be ideal for that ‘escape’ type of ride. Would be great if there is a button to trigger a ‘Ride Alone’ mode. Looking forward for update on this. Thank you.

Hi @Rizaldi_Baharuddin

Been super busy, but I happened to see this, and while we don’t have a ‘ride alone’ feature, you can simulate the same thing by disconnecting from the internet AFTER spawning into the world of your choice. This will make other riders disappear and you will be riding alone, able to enjoy the scenery. Just make sure to reconnect to the internet and give it a couple extra seconds to make sure the connection is complete and stable before clicking ‘exit and save’ to make sure your ride saves and uploads correctly.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

You can also use the newly introduced Meetup functionality to do this by creating a Meetup and selecting the ‘Meetup-Only View’. You will have to invite at least one other rider, but that rider doesn’t actually have to attend.

3 Likes

Create a meetup with a partner who won’t attend, and select meetup-only view.

Hi @Seth_Steen,

Tx for the reply. OK, I’ll try this. Of course even though it’s a solo ride, I’d like to have it recorded. Still would be great to have a button/option for this ‘Ride Alone’ feature. Tx.

1 Like

Tx for the solution by using the Meet Up feature.

I’ll add to this request, given the bugs with non-event/non-meetup chat content leaking into rides. I’ve got group chat disabled, but when riding in a Meetup-Only View route I still see chats from riders not in the meet up.

Obviously the social component is a popular and valuable part of Zwift, but there are some days I’d like to ride alone. If that’s an easy “toggle” setting, please consider allowing true solo rides in a forthcoming update. There are many folks who - believe it or not - ride to get away from social media stimuli, and would like to see wattage/cadence/distance and hear the road noise and sound effects without seeing texts and the like. I’ll happily donate all my Ride Ons to anyone who cares about them in exchange for the option to have some peace and quiet.

4 Likes

Is there somewhere I can vote for this to be a new feature?

At the top, the word that says “vote” next to the number of votes (currently 2).

Hi Ben,
I’ not sure, but I don’t think you can vote for your own topic. :confused:

True, Noted. Cheers.

That is a truly genius idea. I love to ride with friends, but sometimes I, too, just want to ride alone. I was searching tonight for an easy way to pre load a route so that I don’t have to think when I get up in the morning to ride (just get on the bike and go), but meetups for one person are not an option at this time (which is why I added my vote).

1 Like

Any chance that in 2022 there will be a ride-alone option? I just created a Zwift account but am still on my free trial. I don’t think I will pay for Zwift if there is no solo ride option. I ride to get away from social media and other people. I have read about work-arounds like turning off the internet if using iOS, but why must people who want to ride solo have to use workarounds? Why doesn’t Zwift just add a solo feature? I hope this happens!

I think the overwhelming majority wants to use Zwift because of the social and competitive aspect. If they accidentally hit the “ride alone” option this forum will be flooded with complaints.

Sometimes I want to ride alone (about twice a year). Then I simply unplug the lan cable or switch off wifi on the PC and that´s it. This workaround works for all options, not only iOS. If you want to give it a try: You need to log in normally with open internet connection and cut the connection when you are in the desired “world”. When you finish your ride you need to reconnect in order to save it.

Have you tried other software like FulGaz? Maybe it is a better option for you.

I just create a meetup, make sure “meetup-only view” is checked so other riders won’t show and invite one other rider who I know won’t show. When I do it I’m also a fan of turning the HUD off as well while riding.

1 Like

Zwift have been pretty open about the social aspects of it being one of their primary drivers and differentiators from the competition. They have purposely built this to be a social platform, and are working on features to expand that (clubs starting to slowly roll out, for example). They get huge participation in the large group events (Tour de Zwift, Tour of Watopia, etc), and are building out racing more. They intend it to be a social experience.

I don’t see them purposely adding a feature that explicitly removes the social aspects, and would never expect them to add a feature like that. Maybe not never, but certainly not ahead of other features on their roadmap that do support their social mission.

I understand the desire to ride alone. I’d settle for being able to turn off chat (unless there’s already a way to do that, that I don’t know). A few times, I’ve wanted to ride certain routes in worlds not on the rotation (badge hunting, or wanting to do repeats on a particular climb). As suggested above, I created a meet up, added one person who I knew wouldn’t join, and I had the place pretty much to myself.

So sure, add this request to the feature roadmap. Me personally, I’d even put it slightly ahead of a velodrome, though I suspect the majority of the community would disagree. But I’d put it well behind better garage access / management, multiple route badges on a single ride, better race categorization, more missions, level 50+, more tarmac, pave over all the gravel (okay, that may just be my own gripe), and a host of other features that would benefit the experience.

You can turn off group chat in the settings menu.

2 Likes

Grazie mille; I probably should (or maybe already did, and just forgot) have known that.