Resuming a workout after computer crash

My laptop BSOD’d in the middle of a workout. I was surprised to see that when I logged back in that Zwift didn’t prompt me to resume a workout. Moreover, when I log into the Zwift Companion app, it shows my partial workout.

Expected behavior:
When app crashes for whatever reason (OS fault, app fault, dead battery, loss of internets) during a workout, it should ask to resume existing workout if within a certain timeframe.

Actual behavior:
App did not ask to resume existing workout. Rather it prompted to start over.

Workaround: After restarting the same workout, use the tab key to skip blocks to get back to where you want to continue. Depending on how long it takes you to resolve the computer issues, you may want to rethink the rest of the workout session anyway, because of the involuntary extra recovery time you got.

(Not really that commonplace nowadays anyway, unless you have hardware issues. And loss of teh internets shouldn’t stop a workout but rather just remove all the other avatars, right?)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Anna - the workaround is fine for overall workouts, but then I miss the data that is then sent to Strava and the workout data that Zwift sees will be partial (only completed second half). I’m a data kind of guy, so having this missing info bugs me.

Unfortunately, just because something doesn’t occur frequently (perhaps ever in your case) developers need to consider all use-cases. This shouldn’t be that difficult to solve. Zwift leaves stub files in cache and, per my example above, Zwift sees the first half of the workout prior to the crash, the team should be able to piece together that I was in the middle of a workout and ask to resume where I left off (as close as possible).

2 Likes

Sure, in a world with infinite dev resources…

Absolutely right! Hence a feature request. I have no idea where it falls on Zwift’s priority list, if at all. I’m sure their team has telemetry signaling to them how many crashes or network drops are occurring that result in failed ride recordings. And then, I’m sure they also have the data stating that of those crashes that users experience, this % of users were doing a workout.

I know devs and the business have their own priorities. This doesn’t discount a poor user experience, though.

3 Likes

Have you tried uploading the lost activity to strava?

Not in this instance, but i have in the past. Also not ideal as you have to modify the xml and potentially have to splice two files together to make one .fit / .tcx file manually.

Love the work around ideas; this is however a feature request for a better user experience.

You can use FIT File Tools to combine files.

Even if there is no data you still get stronger. :sunglasses:

Adding this feature would definitely help, especially when attempting longer rides. Today, I was part of a group ride going for the Uber Pretzel, and I had a power outage at home about halfway through. I would have liked to have the ability to resume the ride, even with a 5 minute setback.

If Zwift saved a fully valid progress every minute or every kilometer, my wish is to have the option to be put back into the very spot on the course where that progress ends.

The longer the ride (and pride) or goal that gets invalidated by a glitch, the bigger the frustration.

2 Likes

I am just adding to your dev request as I today had a poor experience and my first program crash in the middle of a workout. I bought Zwift 2 weeks a go and it was not a good experience to have done half of a very tough FTP interval plus 15 min warmup and have that data gone. It was not even saved correctly as a backup file. I have a weird file being saved without heart rate, watt and cadence data being saved but also much shorter in time and distance then the one I was in the middle of when the program crashed.

1 Like

This happened to me today where Zwift crashed right near the end of my workout. I found this post while Googling for some way of resurrecting my almost-finished workout.

It is more and more commonplace for software to be able to replicate last state after any sudden catastrophic event. As a power-user and a developer, I expect it. It’s a modern feature that Zwift most definitely should implement.

1 Like

This is such an obvious feature I find it difficult to understand why it wasn’t there from day 1. Fulgaz supports resume after crash. Kinomaps supports resume after crash. There are other indoor trainer apps that support resume after crash. Zwift really should support it too.

1 Like

Came here to make the same request. Ran head long into this when Zwift app froze on me on a 42 mile ride after about 20+ miles in having just finished Volcano.

I opened the app back up expecting a resume feature. Pretty sure this works on the Tacx App, as I’ve had this issue last winter using it with my smart phone.

Please add this as a feature. It’s pretty nonsensical not to have it.

1 Like

just happened to me :frowning:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Activity resume .fit file corrupt

Same here. Workout stalled mid workout. Screen froze. Restarted computer. Restarted zwift. No activity saved. No resume activity. Companion app showed activity still in progress. A resume feature is a basic feature. Please provide it. Most frustrating to lose data.

I’ve just had the same issue. Half way through my workout and it just crashed. I did all the troubleshooting things and then restarted the app, fully expecting to be able to continue my workout. Now it’s going to show that I didn’t do it/partially did it on my training plan as I didn’t have time for completing the entire thing again, just for skipping to where I was.
Would be a good feature