Recent HR Tracking Loss - Zwift Running

Hi Zwift Community,

Previously I have used Zwift to run and cycle and it has worked seamlessly but recently (24th of January) I have noticed that Zwift on ios has stopped tracking my heart rate correctly during my activities? I haven’t changed any equipment, pairing process or bluetooth connections but I have updated my app’s along the way as they were released.

When starting up the application I pair my Zwift RunPod to the app for speed and cadence, then used my Garmin Fenix 6 Pro as my source of heart rate

(HR Strap > Fenix 6pro > Ios App)

Recently I have noticed that my heart rate on the zwift IOS phone app has failed to detect and track my heart rate. It is correct and matches my Garmin Fenix 6 Pro watch HR when I first connect my devices to the app but as soon as I exit the pairing screen, the in-app heart rate reading remains the same.

Going back into the history of my runs it was working fine up to January 21st but the following run (January 24th) is where the issue first arose.

Is there any bugs or known issues with this that occurred through updates or is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Mitch.

@Mitchell_Healey_TDC - Hi, it looks like this is your first post on the Zwift Forums, so welcome!

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble getting HR readings from the Garmin Fenix 6 in Zwift.

I did a little bit of digging around, but I personally couldn’t really find any trending issues related to using the Garmin Fenix 6 for heart rate specifically in Zwift.

As for it being a bug or known issue, I’m not sure that would be the case since as I understand it, the Garmin Fenix 6 (like a number of other Garmin watches) relies on the Virtual Run to work with Zwift. I think the Virtual Run is supported through Garmin, not Zwift.

That said, you might take a look at this article from Garmin and make sure you’re following all those steps to set up your watch to work through Virtual Run.

Hope that helps!

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply.

I’ve always just used the Fenix while doing an outdoor run and used it to ‘Broadcast HR’ while doing the activity.

My issue arises with the fact that it’s worked perfectly for the first 550km running but only stopped working within the last fortnight. Was wondering if it was an update but could also have been a Garmin update that affected it too.

Thanks mate and hopefully it’s not an issue for others.

Hi Mitchell, you bring up good points, and I’ll admit I’ve not much experience using or troubleshooting the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro for Zwift. I’ve reached out to my colleagues on the tech support team, and I’m hoping I can get some suggestions for you.

I’d also encourage you to open a support request with our tech support team, and let me know when you’ve done so. I’ll make sure we’re coordinating our efforts. You can submit a support request here.

Hi @Mitchell_Healey_TDC

I heard back from the team, and was informed that officially the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro is compatible to pair directly to Zwift using ANT+ pairing only, and not necessarily BLE.

While I don’t know exactly how the Virtual Run works, I can only assume it’s bridging an ANT+ signal to BLE so that the watch can be connected to apps and devices that accept BLE connections.

So, basically if it used to work in Zwift but suddenly no longer works, it’s most likely an issue on the Garmin side. That said, if you’d consider reaching out to Garmin Support, they might have some other ideas and suggestions for you.