Problems with the gradient graph in London

Yeah, sorry I meant that they way they join real GPS for the city bits to the hilly bits somehow breaks it for all of them.

It is really annoying because i really like London but I use that gradient bit a lot for climbs to know what gear to be in for what is coming up.

It also adds climb in multiples of 7 feet which they all used to do but now only London does. Something is messed up with how they calculate altitude for the London map.

The issue with the gradient previously flagged several times has not been corrected in the latest update.

Is anyone able to confirm that someone is aware of this or it is being looked into?

It is really annoying as I use this to see what gradient changes are coming up which can sometimes be hard to see just by looking at the screen.

As of my last ride in London a few days ago (2021-03-14), the elevation on the map was still way off the screen.
I find this annoying too since I use the upcoming elevation to judge efforts. If I’m standing on a steep part and getting tired so want to site for a break but see that the gradient lightens up shortly (ie, another 30 secs), I’ll push to that then take a break. But with the gradients off the screen, its hard to know where I can break and where I will need to put in extra effort.

Here is an image from a few weeks ago, on Leith Hill (but this happens on Box Hill as well).
London MiniMap Elevation

1 Like

I have the same issue. I’m using win10 desktop with Nvidea graphics card.

This is clearly a bug.

It is a bug Zwift does not seem to care to fix.

When going up box hill the gradient chart in the top right corner of the screen goes right off the top of the screen.

I’m in windows 11 4k display if that makes any difference.

Tale as old as time

1 Like

Why isn’t it fixed then…

Did a quick search couldn’t find any bug reports although admittedly didn’t spend ages searching.

I saw it was like this back in march when I first got zwift but just happened to be riding box hill again tonight so thought I’d create a bug report…

No doubt people will link 10 or more other reports of it below now :confused:

It was moved to known issues and reported as a bug back in Jun 2020

It will never be fixed, if it was fixable they would have fixed it by now.

2 Likes

It’s not a bug it’s a feature :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Shuji,

Do you know if there’s any update on this? This bug is now a year and a half old and is VERY annoying when doing this route, as you can’t prepare for what’s coming next as you can’t see it.

I’m not being funny, but as this directly affects riding ability due to the point above (i.e. it’s not just an aesthetic glitch), this is actually quite a major bug and one that should surely be fixable.

I’m sure the community would appreciate knowing how close to the top of the bug list this is.

Thank you.
Mark.

2 Likes

The unofficial update (my guess!) is that the code is too hard on the London course to unpick and fix so it will remain “known” forever but will not be fixed.

It also really annoys me too - i use the gradient graph a lot to know what gear to be in etc, i used to love the hilly bits of the London course but it is ruined now. I have made my peace with it never being fixed but it is a real shame.

When I first got a smart trainer to get through the winter of 2020, I decided to do the full PRL as one of my first events in Zwift. Someone put me up to it. It was silly. Anyway, I saw the gradient graph and I was pretty confused at first!

Anyway, it’s been a bit over a year. I was just on a different London route, and I saw that the issue hadn’t been fixed. I came back to forum to reminisce about all those times up Box Hill not being able to see the gradient ahead of me. It’s not game breaking at least, and I have full faith that they will fix this Zoon.

1 Like

I admire your optimism

Hi all, I checked with the team, and received assurances that this issue is still being worked on.

I’ve updated this thread with the appropriate tags.

I know it’s been reported quite some time ago, but we haven’t forgotten about it, and thanks for your diligence.

4 Likes

Do we know why it is taking so long? Hard to do? not a priority?

2 years in the queue, I don’t see anything Zwift can say.

These are details I’m sorry to say I don’t have, @Chris_Holton. I can, however, confirm that it’s a known issue and it’s being investigated.

I did flag it up to Zwift’s developers and requested that they resolve the issue as soon as possible.

2 Likes

@Steven_D : As it seems you might be a relative newcomer to Zwift (based solely on your ‘sudden’ omnipresence in various Forum threads), I wanted to be sure you know that, once upon a time, this gradient display actually worked ‘as expected’. It was broken in an update and has never been corrected since. So, one would think it would be easy to revert to whatever was going on back when it worked, but I know that’s not always the case.

The general suspicion seems to be that, because the London map is part ‘real’ and part ‘superimposed’ that the part of the map that is not ‘real’ (the Surrey Hills portion) is using the elevation profile for the actual portion of London on which it is overlaid, as opposed to the ‘fictitious’ elevation profile on which the avatars are riding.

2 Likes

Hi @Nigel_Tufnel , thanks for your observations, and it’s very much appreciated.

To your observations about me specifically, I’m actually a long time tech support agent and subject matter expert with the Tier 2 tech support team; I’ve been with the team for more than 4 years, so I’ve seen a few things in my time. Some of those community members who’ve written in to Zwift support (e.g. chat, email, or phone calls) over the years may have received a reply from me.

However, recently there’s been a shift of my responsibilities, so I’ll be participating in the Forums much more frequently. I’m happy to help as best I can.

To your observations regarding this particular known issue, I again thank you for sharing and clarifying them. As mentioned, I tagged this Forums thread with the appropriate Jira numbers, so that will give comments like yours some added visibility as Zwift’s developers continue to work towards an eventual solution on this issue.

I look forward to communicating with you and others here on the Zwift Forums!

4 Likes