Please add android tv support

Hi everybody and Zwift,

Most users of Zwift prefer to use this application on a big screen, it’s more fun, easier to see and more immersive.
For this reason Zwift should really be targeting the Android TV platform for compatibility.

I just got a new Sony Bravia Android TV only to learn that I can’t even install Zwift.
Mirroring your phone screen is a very poor way to run any app and it comes with a whole bunch of issues.

Please everybody who wants to see Zwift compatible with Android TV platforms, including Sony, LG, and all set top boxes - please bump this thread and drop your thoughts.

Thank you

I doubt that android TV has enough processing power to do a decent job to utilize the big screen. If you want 4K ultra graphics then you will need to invest in a PC with a good GPU.

Your response makes little to no sense. Zwift runs on Android phones and iPhones, Runs on some Android set top boxes with workarounds.
Android TV firstly is the modified OS (not the hardware), the hardware is the driver. Many high resource demand games work perfectly fine on various Android TV devices and Android phones.
I also never indicated that native 4k should be a mandate, it can easily be upscaled like many Android apps on Android TV, if there was a GPU limitation, most games allow variable graphics and that’s exactly why many Android devices of all different specs can still accommodate the same games.

Again this app is perfectly capable of running on Android TV the issue is that the APK isn’t signed for this variant of Android. Yet…

2 Likes

I have not looked at all the Android TV specs but those that I looked at had a slow CPU and not a lot of ram.

I am just thinking if you have a 4k tv why would you run low resolution graphics. But that is just my opinion.

I am sure if Zwift could make it on work on Android TV then they would, that will bring more users to the platform, and that is the goal

I’d imagine the Nvidia Shield Android TV is more than capable of running the Zwift app and that would be great to see it happen.

3 Likes

Yes the Shield can run zwift if you side load it. see this post. Works on nVidia Shield TV - #16 by Eerke_B

1 Like

My point exactly. Nvidia shield can run it. That’s a form of Android TV. Other higher end TVs like the latest Sony Bravia should be able to run it without issue

Yes if the Bravia has the same hardware as the Nvidia shield. But I don’t think Sony will put that powerful hardware in a tv.

I second that request, there are many non branded android boxes available too and plenty of new ones should be able to run zwift ( they run other high graphics games just fine )
for example … this is basic box today:
Amlogic S912 Octa Core with Multi-Core ARM® Mali™-T820 and 3gb ram …

Thank you.
It shouldn’t be restricted to just the Nvidia Shield. Nvidia shield actually runs Android TV platform. It should be at least available to side load for testing. It won’t even let me install sideloaded which means the APK isn’t signed for Android TV so I’m not sure how it’s currently running on Nvidia shield hmm

Andriod TV or even raspberry Pi there are plenty out there with very capable GPU’s Plenty of us would be willing to test if it was made available through google play or an apk download.

1 Like

A raspberry pi doesn’t really have any graphics power.

2 Likes

Gerrie, do you realise the request was aimed at Zwift and you’ve hijacked the thread with a technical discussion that has no bearing on what was asked? Of course high end 4K televisions can run Zwift. If you don’t know this start another thread, but leave this thread for people to focus on getting Zwift to respond and do something positive.

1 Like

I don’t agree the OP asked and I quote.

So I gave the OP my point of view of why Zwift can’t run on Android TV like the one he has.

I don’t know of any high end TV’s that can run zwift. But I may be wrong, which TV’s do run Zwift?

That is the whole point of having conversations like this, the more we talk about it the more attention we draw to the topic. Zwift can respond at any time. And I will be very exited if they post something like “Gerrie you got it all wrong we are working to have Zwift on android TV and it will be available soon”.

2 Likes

Gerrie your perception is completely off.
By saying I can’t install it has absolutely nothing to do with the tv being incapable of running it. You obviously don’t understand “signed APK”.
As mentioned by Mark, you’re hijacking this thread and runing the purpose. This has nothing to do with the tech specs of the tv and everything to do with which platforms swift is currently allowing the signed APK to run on.
Please let Zwift chime in and stop polluting this thread.
Thanks

1 Like

If this is actually a Feature Requests than I can move it there, but as of right now it is not and open to free discussion.

Please let me know if you would like this move or to remain here.

Ride On!

1 Like

Feature request yes. Please implement.
Most Zwift users prefer large screen experience, nobody will debate this.
It can be done and we should start beta testers program asap.

Thanks

3 Likes

I will move it to Feature Requests.

FYI, there is a big difference between what can be done and what will be done. I have no idea what is on Zwift’s Road Map as far as development to additional platforms (AndroidTV or ChromeOS). I am all for more platforms to get more people on Zwift, but it might not be as easy as we think.

Ride On!

3 Likes

Hi Paul,
I’m not sure if you’re involved in relaying any feature requests. But in this case it’s Zwift that has not signed the android APK to be compatible with Android TV. As mentioned previously, I’d be happy to test a signed APK to assist with development.
I’m not suggesting that Zwift makes it publicly available for testing but there needs to be a group of beta testers.
Zwift is perfectly capable of running on newer Sony Android TV’s but the APK will not install at all. I’ve tried it a dozen ways.
Again for those that don’t understand this isn’t a compatibility issue the APK won’t install because it’s not been signed to allow install on Android TV platforms.

1 Like

Is zwift for android tv implemented?