Pack Dynamics 3.0 Update [November 2021]

I was in a meetup last night and kept getting violently flung out to side.

I would steer back into blob and be flung instantly and fast.

Tried just holding the steer into the pack a few times and get an uncomfortable bouncing effect.

So I was either distracted trying to steer and get into the pack or off the side in the wind pulling high watts like i was on the front.

Great for training but wouldn’t want it in a race.

2 Likes

I noticed other riders without steering having that today on Watopia.

Another side effect is the oncoming groups crashing into each other on Crit City every lap or so. :wink:

Less funny is if you fall back from a group just a small amount you are gone. Especially a light rider against larger riders.

In certain areas, like the volcano and in London, when I steer all the way to one side of the road, my avatar appears to ride sideways a little bit. To explain it better, imagine what it would look like if you were moving forward in a straight line, but your bike was facing 45 degrees to the left or right. It would look like you’re floating sideways. But it’s not so dramatic, it’s just a very slight angle.

Hi,

I just completed a Pace Partner ride with C. Cadence on Tempus Fugit. For the most of the ride my avatar kept being moved to the side of the pack. When there it kept making jerky movements and riding sideways.I am wondering if this is due to the new pack dynamics.
I have screendumps and a short video of it.
I am riding a Kickr Bike.

Best regards,

Marcel Moesgaard

@Marcel_Moesgaard_DZR … This has been noted within the main Pack Dynamics thread, and has been acknowledged by Zwift:

https://forums.zwift.com/t/pack-dynamics-3-0-update-october-2021/560239/150?u=jon_wakefield

I’m hoping this doesn’t slow down the rollout of PD 3.0, as this is a minor issue (in my opinion) as it only impacts those with steering, when in free ride mode.

Hey everyone - I split off the posts talking about the sideways avatar from last month’s Pack Dynamics 3.0 Update thread.

Game version 1.19.2 released today and addresses the sideway slide for those using a steering-enabled device. Please update your game client and let us know if this is looking better for you now?

Good timing @shooj!
Was getting off the bike when I saw the update and then your message. Got back on, updated to 1.19.2 and switched on the Sterzo Smart that has been a dumb steerer block for far too long.

(Zwift on iPadOS 15.1 / Wahoo KICKR 2018 / Companion on iOS 15.1 / All connections BLE)

After a 10-minute test with the C. Cadence bunch, I’d say it’s a definite improvement on the steering front.

• No more oddly sliding avatar.
    It behaves like non-steerer avatars, but obeys steering impetus (within the constraints of whether there are other avatars directly to its left and right).
  • Was able to easily hold in the middle of the bunch and not be pushed to the outside.
  • No particularly jerky reactions from my avatar when forcibly steering into others when at the extreme right or left of the roadway.

Can’t think of anything else. Very happy that the Zwift team turned this around pretty rapidly.

2 Likes

Thanks @shooj. Will test it tonight on my ride and let you know if I’m still seeing weird behavior or if it’s all good now.

1 Like

Does the update have any intended impact on avatars generally, i.e. including those without steering?

@Dave_ZPCMR
v.1.19.2 patches a few issues, including the manual steering input issues that Roule noted are much improved.

The scope of work on that specific bug does not impact avatar movements more broadly.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Game Update - November 18th, 2021

Rode 2 rides tonight, Neoyko Badge Hunters Stage 1 with 200+ riders and a meetup with about 40 riders. Steering turned off on Stage 1 but steering enabled on the meetup.

Didn’t notice and angled riding from my avatar during the meetup. Still get pushed to the outside of the group more often than if steering isn’t enabled but at least always riding straight ahead.

I only use steering when doing a freeride. In a group ride I find it affects drafting too much because you are constantly being pushed to the outside of the group and it is very difficult to steer your way back. When riding with C Cadence this isn’t too much of a problem but with B Brevet you have to work really hard to keep up

2 Likes

@Eric_Brandhorst_Team
Do you find the same ‘pushing to the outside’ effect following yesterday’s game update?
I only tested it for ten minutes, but found that things have improved compared to when PD 3.0 were first launched.

Just got the update today. Did a workout without steering on. Will try it shortly and let you know how it went

Confirmed no changes for non-steering avatars btw. Hope it can be improved.

Not sure if you would prefer a new topic for this. But will add it here for now. In the last 2 weeks I have noticed I appear to be way out of the pack draft on rides. I lead group rides and that seems to be OK. I am in the middle for most of the time. Pack of 150+. But a few times I have been out to the side of a group by a few bike widths. Once in a TTT and tonight on Neo. Tonight seemed to be exponentially worse. There were times I was almost 2 full bike lanes away from the riders on the same route. Adding a photo. Not best quality. Most of the time I was only 2-4 bikes to the right. The only time I would ever get behind a rider was at an intersection. If you want to move this to its own topic thats fine. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this yet.

You have a steering icon on - can you not steer back?