Only part of the ride is uploading to training peaks

Tonight, I did a 1:15 ride, saved it and when I go to training peaks, it shows as a 20 min ride. my.zwift.com shows it as a 1:15 ride. When I look at the folder on my local maching that has the .fit files, I have 2 fit files for today, 2019-04-01-18-20-38.fit and inProgressActivity.fit.

Since my.zwift.com shows the full ride, I downloaded the .fit file from my.zwift.com and garmin will not upload the file. Training peaks uploads it as a 20 min ride. In the past 6 or 7 months this used to happen ever now and then but it is getting worse. Out of the last 5 rides, 4 had this problem.

I tired fit file tool and it did not work. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I am on a window 10 laptop and using ANT+.

thanks

Hi Chong,

If Zwift failed to upload the proper file to TrainingPeaks, and you’ve got multiple fit files that were generated for the same ride activity, we have a Zwift Support article entitled “My Ride Didn’t Upload: Partial Save, Malformed Fit Files” which addresses this issue. The article provides some helpful tips on how to prevent these partial activities.

As to why you can’t manually upload/import your Zwift .fit files to Garmin, this has been an issue for some time. An eventual solution will most likely need to be the result of efforts from both Zwift and Garmin. For now, the best workaround I’ve found is as follows:

1. First, I recommend combining the multiple .fit files into a single .fit file using File Combiner tool here on FitFileTools.com.
  2. Next, upload your .fit file to Strava.
  3. Now locate the recently added activity in Strava and export the GPX file.
  4. You can now upload the GPX file to Garmin without issue.

It’s a bit of a roundabout workaround, but it gets the job done.

Furthermore, if you’re having persistent problems where your ride activities fail to upload to third-party connected sites like TrainingPeaks, I strongly encourage you to please submit a support request, and a Zwift team member will be happy to take a closer look at this matter.

I have been in contact with support. They told me that the fit file can get corrupt if there are issues when the local machine syncs with the zwift servers, which occurs ever 10 mins. A failed upload should not corrupt a file on the local machine. I can see data not getting uploaded when the internet connection drops or packets get lost - that happens all the time … but to corrupt a local file is weird. The upload should be read only on the local file and thus should not interrupt the writing of the fit file during the data sync. This seems like a design flaw or a bug.