Official Strava Segments with Markers

Can we please get some official Zwift created Strava segments that also have in-game markers? It would be nice to have some segments to use as goals that are actually accurate and marked on course.

I’m not keen on Zwift integrating too much with Strava. Zwift is an independent product and should remain so. They don’t have the “Strava Premium” tie up any more either. Uploading to third party products is one thing, but building features around them? No thanks.

TBH I’d much rather see Zwift building these sorts of things into their own platform. They already have it to an extent. For example, the KOM and “sprints”. They’re marked and timed. All they really need to do (besides add more of them) is to create more durable league tables that can be accessed online or through the game. They have the tables already, but they’re ephemeral.

Zwift does not have enough existing “official” segments and depending on who creates the Strava segment to match it they usually miss the start or end by a bit, sometimes intentionally. Zwift has partnered with plenty of companies, this seems like a pretty basic ask.

If you stick to the “ZwiftInsider verified” segments you won’t got far wrong. No reason to pull Strava-specific stuff into Zwift.

2 Likes

Zwift has NO official Strava segments, there are however Zwiftinsider Verified Strava segments within Zwift.

1 Like

The ZwiftInsider segments are lacking. There are lots of sections I use to do intervals, it be nice to have accurate segments for those AND on course marking of them.

1 Like

You don’t get markings in the real world for Strava segments, so I don’t see why you need them in Zwift.

If you don’t like the Strava segments other people have created, go ahead and create your own. Mark them as private and they won’t pollute the general space.

Plenty of the local IRL segments around me are either marked (someone actually put up signs) or clearly de-lineated. Zwift is a game, gamify it!

1 Like

I absolutely agree with gamifying Zwift. What I disagree with is pulling Strava-specific stuff into it.

Aren’t the KOM’s already marked in Zwift? The sprints have a green marker on the right side of the road with a green strip on the road, red for climbs, etc…

The only problem with the ZwiftInsider Verified segments is that they often don’t match up with the actual in-game segments. At least, my Strava-reported times for ZwiftInsider Verified segments often don’t match up with my in-game times for the same segments.

As for dumping Strava and putting all of this information in a Zwift product…I’m all for that! When can I see things like “analyze segment” and rankings for my age group, weight class, followers, etc. for Zwift KOMs and sprints in, say, ZCA? Bring it!

I’m thinking of this today, because I’d really like to see a history of all of my Bambino Fondos. Alas, I can’t find an appropriate segment on Strava (I don’t know where the finish line is, so I can’t make my own), and the Zwift replacement for Strava analytics is still vaporware.

I just said there are only ZwiftInsider segments and no official Zwift segments. I am not saying they are accurate or anything else.

combining zwift routes with strava maps/gps/OSM xyz was the biggest marketing nonsense. my browser keeps beeing slower and slower. the segments spam just doesnt come to an end… sorry but its is really annoying. and in the end for what? who has the biggest stem?:scream:

Along with Paul’s comment, the other aspect of this is the way Strava segment creation works. You simply can’t make segments start and end at precise points. For example, these are the two choices I have for starting a segment at the base of a particular climb in New York:

OK, maybe it’s not huge, but the limitation is there.

I’m sure Eric S. has got the segments as precise as possible within the limitations of GPS “tracking” in Zwift and Strava segment creation.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree! In fact, I’ve said pretty much the same thing myself.

I don’t give a stuff about Strava segments within Zwift, I’d far prefer Zwift to maintain their own in-game leaderboards. (And a load of other stuff that Strava does, particularly stuff it only does if you’re a paying “Summit” member.)

1 Like

Segments should be quite accurate–like, within a second of whatever time Zwift gives. That’s about Strava’s margin for error. I go to pretty big lengths to make sure the segments match what the course shows!

If you’ve got a specific example of a segment not matching, let me know. I’d love to take a closer look…

2 Likes

Strava, no.
the ability to create my own in-game segment that I can then do intervals on, YES PLEASE!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!

We appreciate all your work Eric, thanks for creating a great website too!

1 Like

There are too many Strava segments. I like the Zwift segments. I like to do the orange jersey segments/laps because they are timed like sprint segments. The newest sprint segment on the desert course is long because Strava won’t accept shorter segments. This, to me, shows that Strava is not very supportive of Zwift community who have made specific requests.

Workout intervals can have the average power shown now (although it is time for Zwift to make it simpler) But my favorite is called FIVE WORLD Challenge. You race a lap of Innsbruckring, a lap of Classique, a lap of Richmond flat (no timer but ZwiftInsider segment from banner), a lap of the Volcano, and finish with a lap of LaGuardia. They are all the shortest ‘laps’ of each world. With no more than ten minutes in between stop and start, it is hard. give it a try.