Oculus Quest 2 Support

Now that the Oculus Quest 2 is out and widely available, and at a modest price, can we revisit the Virtual Reality idea? I already use the Quest to do some upper body cardio workout; would love to be able to witness Watopia in a fully immersed way.

Please? I can beta test if necessary. =)

JoseQ

Any news on this?

Iā€™ve gone over to VRfit because the experience is far more immersive and motivating, but Zwift with other riders would be even betterā€¦

Not every Zwifter is trying to hit their VO2max continuouslyā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m not a programmer, but my guess is that in order to do this Zwift would have to write an entirely new set of code, while still trying to maintain/improve the current code. So, Iā€™d think it not likely this will happen any time soon.

This has been requested many times but there is always someone who chimes in to reject the idea. DC rainmaker showed of VR zwift video back in 2017 of it in action so the work is done already. But yea there is always those few guys here that just want to make your pandemic life more difficult by not having zwift in VR.

1 Like

I tested this in SF and it was disorienting ā€“ like when I turned I tried to counter-steer because it felt too real. I actually preferred the fixed display.

So best I could come up with is the real VR and garmin bike mods for gta v. Definitely need VR legs for this. But it works with my Tacx neo with road feel and simmed grades. No real people around but a much livelier world because itā€™s gta.

1 Like

I want VR support too.

2 Likes

@Nigel_Tufnel Not at all. A simple stereoscopic filter is all they need. VR customers would use the same exact stream, but instead of one 2D image appearing on their flat TV screen, they get two 2D images on the two screens in their VR headset. With each image projected from a slightly different angle, mimicking the slightly different perspective of each eyeball, your brain automatically combines them together, creating a 3D image in your head. The technology is simple because the brain already does all the work. The cost of porting the app to the Oculus and Steam Stores would be negligible.

2 Likes

+1 for VR support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I can see some people saying it was disorienting. Iā€™m new with Zwfit and I donā€™t know how to enable and try VR if possible. Iā€™m active VR user for 2 last years and cannot normally play 2D games anymore :face_with_hand_over_mouth: What do you think if instead of VR you could add multiple angles view support in order to setup 360 degrees projection like shown on Zwift official promo ad (youtube for ā€œChase: Mathieu van der Poel | Zwiftā€). If 360 is too tricky then 180 will be great start too!

But is this really the case? Maybe that would work for a stereoscopic (3D) view, but VR is so much more than that. I guess when I am thinking ā€˜available in VRā€™ I am thinking of a full 360-degree view, so that when I turn my head I can see what next to, or behind, or above, or below me.

Also, having an Oculus now (Iā€™m becoming a Beat Saber addict), I think there would need to be a significantly lighter headset available, and it would also need to shed sweat much better than the current set up. Integrated fans, maybe???

In the end it should be easy to realize. All you need to do is programming a controllable camera (controlled via headtracking of the VR Glasses) and as mentioned the second angle / camera which is easy in a 3D world.

I would wonder if the big graphic card and or graphic engine companies would not already have an easy to implement brick just to add 3D Support.

But as visible Zwift does not seem to base on one of the big graphic engines. If it would we would see graphical enchancements every few years / months like Raytracing.

Maybe itā€˜s time for Zwift to concider that. Not just because of VRā€¦just to get a fresh look.

Personally I canā€˜t imagine wearing a VR Glass whilst sweating eventhough I really love VR Experiences generally.

2 Likes

VR is definitely not for everyone (yet). But many of us enjoy it daily and could handle the orientation issues. IMO, it just takes some training to get used to it as I had some issues with specific games at first but now Iā€™m in VR for hours every day without any issues at all. I already do cardio workout where I sweat plenty, even more than during Zwift rides actually, so I wouldnā€™t mind just having spare face rests that can be washed/replaced.

1 Like

With Eric Min claiming Zwift was part of the ā€œMetaverseā€ , on a recent Mark Cavendish Event , you can be sure this is on the priority roadmap to be implemented ā€¦ :thinking:

Of couse it should be , but is it ?

Who knows if/when this product will be available, but itā€™s size certainly makes it seem more appealing than the Quest 2:

1 Like