New settings for Elite Novo Force

Hi @Zhong_Lin,
actually I’m using the misuro b with the Elite Novo Force 8. Unfortunately, the only reference I have for comparison is the mobile app by Elite MyETraining. I compared the output power values of the MyETraining app (setting the misuro b on 1 blink) with the output of Zwift (setting the misuro b on 7 blinks, 94mm, and adding the sensor as power sensor). I did this comparison for different resistance levels of the trainer and the one for which the values of MyETraining and Zwift are the most similar seems to me the resistance level 3. If I set the resistance level 4, Zwift gives me about 50-70 W less than the app by Elite…

2 Likes

Hi @Andrea_Matera,
That’s super helpful, especially as I have no reference and not using the Misuro! Thanks for sharing your “study”!! :+1:
So maybe I’m simply 50-70W stronger than I think I am :grin:

Hi @Zhong_Lin,
Well it is also quite likely that the MyETraining app is giving too high values… actually I have no idea since, as I said, that app has been my only power reference for the last 3 years :frowning: . Do you also have that app? ‘cos in that case you could try to do the same test just to cross-check…

Anyway, I’ve been regularly riding mountain bike for the last 3 years (approx 50 km/week, yearly average). I don’t have much time so my training are usually short but intense. I did the FTP test yesterday (I almost died) and I got 240W… honestly I’ve no idea if that’s a reasonable number

1 Like

Haha my hopes of being stronger than I thought just vanished then😅.

Unfortunately I don’t have the Misuro, so cannot do the same test… Last year I went to trainings at the gym with bikes with power meters (oh, lovely era before Corona), and I estimated my FTP at 220, which is what I have now on Zwift with the trainer at 4/8. For now I’ll keep it as a reference and work from there, the importance is the relative improvement although the true numbers might not be exact without investing in a “proper” trainer :+1: Thanks again for sharing Andrea! Ride on everyone

1 Like

ahhh sorry, I misread your previous mail! I thought you had Misuro. Anyway, see you on Zwift, bye!!!

1 Like

Hi Guys,
based on some plots available in internet, I’ve compared speed/watts plot for 8 and 5 level Elite trainers. If your suspicions are correct, we should use 5/8 resistance using an 8-level elite trainer.
Below graph with all 8 level curves for 8 level elite trainer and yellow “X”'s for 3/5 resistance. It looks like correct resistance is somewhere between 5/6 but in 150 - 400 watts range it’s quite well fit for 5/8 curve

Below table with comparison of watts per each 8 levels and 3/5 level just to show how much using zwift recommendation 3/8 could be distorted.

6 Likes

@Bambo_W, this is some proper benchmarking, thank you for putting this together! This Zwift community amazes me.

I’ll use 5/8 from now, although I think I just lost 30w of FTP. At least it keeps me honest and I prefer having a good surprise once on the real roads :wink:

Ride on everyone!

1 Like

Hi to all, same here, have Elite Novo Force with speed and cadence sensor and after a couple of weeks in Zwift my FTP is 362w with 5 w/kg. Definitively too high. I’ll try with 5/8. Thanks

2 Likes

Hey guys, has anyone investigated this a little bit further? I’ve been playing as well with different settings on the Elite Novo Force.

I did a test by programming the power curve at 3/8 into my Suunto watch in order to generate the wattage, and by running it in parallel with Zwift the given wattage was exactly the same as the one from Zwift. Therefore, I’m pretty sure that Zwift is using the power curve 3/8.

Then, maybe the power curve given by Elite is too optimistic, but it is what it is. I did again an FTP test this morning with the 5/8 setting and it was pretty brutal. I only averaged 2.2 W/K on a 20 min test. I’m not an extremely well trained guy, but I’d say I’m quite fit, so maybe my perception of wattage is completely off. Based on feeling, the most “real” setting to me is 4/8.

Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hi Jordi, i agree with you, after few days i am pretty sure that 5/8 is not the correct settings, i have compared zwift data with my strava real routes.

With 3/8 my FTP is 360 (20 mins), now with 4/8 setting is 280. I’im waiting for my new kickr core (it will arrive in the first days of May) so i can provide you more information comparing these results with the kickr power meter.

I think that the correct setting is something between 3 and 4, let me say “3.5”.

1 Like

Hi Guido, yeah, I kinda agree with you. I redid an FTP test (ugghhh) with the 4/8 setting and it went up to 200 W, which is around 2.77 W/kg. No idea if this is realistic or not, but the actual speed in Zwift felt more real, as well as the effort.

I’m curious to know your feedback once you perform the test with the kickr core. Keep me posted please!

Grazie!

Jordi

1 Like

My friend,

Where did you get this figures from? I found only two graphs, and they are a little bit different from your findings:

For setting 3:

For setting 6:

1 Like

Hi All,

Today I’ve got my new Direto X. A week ago I performed FTP Test on Novo Force 8 at resistance setting 3 and it was 313. Today, using Direto X it is 245 and I felt much more effort than last week.

Best regards,
JF

4 Likes

Using setting 3 on Novo force 8 is definetly wrong. The question is: what setup is right?

1 Like

Hi!!! I am 54 yo, and well trained. After some tests in my Elite Novo Force, and comparing to some friends (watts, heart rate, cadence), definitely, at least 5/8 is adequate to me…

1 Like

Hi Rodrigo, use setting 4/8. I think that @Jacek_Flis answer is the most indicative on the setting to use.

313 - 245 = 68 watt (difference between setting 3/8 and real measurement with Direto X)

Actually i’ve lost about 60-70watt passing from 3 to 4/8 setting.

1 Like

Hi, i m using the novo force 8 and pair it by the speed sensor. Like said before seems there are two novo forces, one with 5 and one with 8 resistances, it is likely that the zwift algorithm is for 3/5 and not 3/8. I compared the data from zwift with my cycle computer ones for virtual power / wheel speed (on golden cheetah, curve below comparing with powercurvesensor.com). The curve seems to overestimate compared to the reference curve of the Novo force with resistance 3/8, so this roller does not seem correctly configured but zwift overestimate. I m trying to look for different setting from different trainer input configuration with same 8 magnetic levels from elite(mag force 8?).
I`ve try to use 4/8 level but heartrate are 20-25 bpm higher at same power, and watts seems to underestimate, probabibly the best should be like said before to have something like 3,5/8.
Anyone trying to compare with power meter if the zwift data is wrong and how much?

3 Likes

Hi. I using setting 3/8 and my power on zwift is too hight (i have 8 speed trainer). Maybe seting 3/5 is ok for 5 speed trainers. Look at compare power resistance betwen P5 and P8 elite nowo force trainers.
P5 - 3/5 set - 30km/h - about 300W
P8 - 3/8 set - 30km/h - about 220W

1 Like

Based on the data I found on this table from zwift forum topics, I set up my elite novo force 3/8 connection as an elite power mag 3/8, It is more realistic, in term of watts and hearthrate, for me this is the best setting.

2 Likes

Hi to all! Finally my new setup is complete :grinning:

image|375x500

Now, after few days and some tests my FTP is about 290 watt so it’s pretty close to my previous FTP done with the 4/8 settings of the Novo Force (280watt)!!

Now i’m waiting to race some time trial events, probably i will increase the FTP up to 300 watts. But as i’ve said before this prove that the 4/8 settings is the right one to use.

2 Likes