New Home Screen Update [September 2022]

‘FutureWorks Clubs’. Does that mean you’re an insider, and hence you have it sooner than most?

This doesn’t have anything to do with who gets the update first.

1 Like

another option is to actiivate the Apple TV Remote in Control Center on your iPhone. Once active in settings go to Accessibility, scroll down to Apple TV Remote and toggle on Directional Buttons. You now have an Apple TV Remote on your iPhone with directional arrows. I tested today it appears to be working.

3 Likes

can you select power pedals without having to first pair the controleable turbo, thrn reset the pedals ?

In the linked ‘Bluetooth pairing’ thread the issue is marked as ‘Solved’, so are you still recommending not upgrading to tv iOS16? Second point, I’m still on the original ATV home page and the recent updates to the remote navigation have made things worse, specifically when attempting to scroll down and select PP’s (I have the latest ATV and controller). And as an aside my frequently used PP’s always seem to be at the bottom of the list.

I have received the new ui update as well.
There are some nice thoughts innit, but it isn’t really finished.

The time based routes are a laugh. Most of the routes I do in 60% of the proposed time. Zwift has al my data. Why doesn’t it auto adjust?

I always do minimal an 1 hour ride, why are my training suggestions all 30 minutes or less?

1 Like

Hi, my wife and I have two seperate Zwift accounts run through the same Apple TV setup. She has the new UI but I still have the old one, is the update being sent out to individual user accounts or is there some glitch in my setup. Much prefer the new UI on my wife’s setup, a lot easier to use the remote also, good upgrade Zwift, well done. :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes it is per user, not a bug

2 Likes

Hey Zwifters! I just wanted to expand on Shuji’s post and provide some additional information about the Apple TV new home screen rollout. We’ve been really focused on getting the new experience rolled out to Apple TV as soon as possible, while ensuring we’re giving you a stable and performant experience.

Here are a few changes that are currently rolling out to Apple TV users:

• A complete refactor to the Apple TV remote input system - which supports panning and allows for better tuning of the “feel” than the old system. This will be covered in more detail by my teammate Evan in an upcoming post.
  • A new workout browsing experience that doesn’t require navigating the legacy accordion menu, which is not intuitive with an Apple TV remote. We’ll be completely getting rid of the legacy menu once we complete the workout detail modal.
  • Better focus state so that it’s more obvious which element is currently selected while browsing.

Now that we are rapidly increasing the roll outs for Apple TV, we are focusing on executing our plan to reintroduce “Ride With” and, in parallel, fine tuning the experience on small screens so that mobile rollouts can continue.

5 Likes

Thanks Ryan, the improved remote support is certainly a buge step forward and makes it much easier to use now.

I did notice that the latest remote’s directional buttons don’t work for selecting which in-game photos to save or ignore in the save ride screen, though. Is this coming?

Hey @Conrad_Whitson - This was turned on to 100% of Apple TV users today. You should have the new homescreen now :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@shooj I experienced heavy flickering while scrolling through the custom workout tab. Once emerged, the issue is persistent across all screens.

Hi folks! My name is Evan, and I’m a Senior Manager in our Game Engineering team at Zwift.

Along with the new Zwift home screen rolling out for the Apple TV platform, I wanted to share a bit more about some of the improvements we’ve made for Apple TV remotes. We know it’s been difficult and frustrating using Apple TV remotes in Zwift, and with our 1.29 game update, we rolled out our first batch of improvements to this experience, with several more on the way for upcoming releases. These improvements work across all Apple TV remotes, including the Apple Remote (“aluminum”), Siri Remote (1st generation), and Siri Remote (2nd generation).

When you receive the new Zwift home screen update on your Apple TV, you’ll notice major changes to the overall user experience which is now cleaner, simpler, and easier to navigate. This also makes it much easier to navigate with the Apple TV remote, especially when selecting Pacer Group rides or Workouts. Check out my teammate Ryan’s post above for more information about the new home screen update!

AppleTV new home screen experience -premiere

Regardless of whether you’ve received the new home screen update or not, we fixed several additional issues with Apple TV remotes for everyone in the 1.29 game update:

We fixed some issues that made it difficult (or in some cases, impossible) to navigate through and select items in the Garage with Apple TV remotes.

garage

We also rolled out several improvements to how Apple TV remotes work across menus throughout the game. We improved tab navigation and toggle switches, like the Ride/Run selector, your avatar’s head type / hair / facial hair selector in the Garage, and the Workouts/Plans selector. We made navigation behavior consistent regardless of whether you have a remote with a trackpad that supports touch/swipe navigation (like the Siri Remotes), or remotes that have physical navigation buttons (like the Apple Remote and Siri Remotes).

ride-run

We have several additional improvements for Apple TV remotes actively in development and being tested, and we’ll be rolling those out as soon as possible in our upcoming game updates. If you encounter issues with Apple TV remotes, please let us know in the comments below along with which remote and Apple TV version you are using.

Ride on.

Evan

9 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the info. I wish we had this kind of detail about other behind the scenes work going into the game.

2 Likes

Howdy Steve! Yep, we have this one on our list. As a temporary workaround, if you have an Apple TV remote with the touchpad (like the “Siri Remote 1st gen” or “Siri Remote 2nd gen”), you can use the “swipe” left/right gesture to navigate across your in-game photos in the meantime.

1 Like

So far really impressed havent had a ride yet but toggling through the different screens is so easy quick access to pairing ,garage ,badges is nice .Was dreading after reading all the reviews but i like it .One thing do I update to tvos 16 or hold fire .Atv for me is the way to go update long time in coming but worth the wait
Cheers Zwift

2 Likes

When i read your info e-mail, i had already had the pleasure of getting acquainted with the new home screen and i was not sure if this statement in the e-mail was meant as a joke - quote:

Navigating through Zwift is easier than ever.

I have never seen a more confusing and poorly designed user interface than this new home screen. There is no question of intuitive user guidance, what was already not optimally solved before, became a glorious example of completely failed GUI design with this update.
Forgive the harsh words, but even as a hobby programmer i wonder if the responsible programmer has been trained in gui design and user guidance.

Please dear Zwift team finally listen to the voices from the community and include them in your decisions. The quality management of the Zwift software (ATV) has been lacking for years.

4 Likes

I think it’s time to stop changing the UI.

Please fix the Apple TV+ remote behavior.

I have no trouble with other Apple TV+ apps, just Zwift.

The scrolling behavior is unusable!

P. S. The new interface kinda sucks. Looks like it was designed by committee.

1 Like

Totally agree !

Losing patience with the Zwift UI developers.

Change for change sake is never a good idea

1 Like

Hey @Damned_Yankee - could you please share more about the scrolling issues you’re experiencing with Apple TV remotes? We rolled out a first batch of fixes in the 1.29 game update (more on this in my post above), and we have more on the way.