Neokyo in November!

Any rowers want to talk about Eric Min’s definition of “Soon”?

Seriously, I hope it comes out today. But I won’t be holding my breath.

3 Likes

Rowing was in a “matter of weeks” years ago! Also the ability to create 100s km of roads every few weeks! He’s a salesman alright.

Remember that the ability to create 100s of km of roads every few weeks is vastly different than actually doing so! :rofl:

They could create 100 km of roads per week… Just that there would be no scenery to go with it. :confused:

I rather have less scenery than wait 5+ months for 21km of mostly flat roads.

3 Likes

Found on reddit. Lucy Charles Barkley tells us to “login tomorrow & check out the neon lit streets of the Makuri islands”

Lucy Charles-Barclay shared a post on Instagram: "Today I got a sneak peek of the brand new Neokyo All-Nighter on @gozwift 🤩

Make sure to login tomorrow & check out the neon lit streets of the Makuri islands 🌃👀

🎥: @hollycharlesphotography_...

If true:

happy

3 Likes

Yep, here’s a screen grab of Lucy’s instagram reel showing some of the route info…

2 Likes

If these guys could just get the f¥ck off the road already!

13 Likes

Zwift is going to get some complaints about the update interfering with the WTRL TTT’s…

Did a quick post with some more route details. Looks like this route is going to be one of the longer ones in Neokyo, covers all of the roads I think… Feel free to check it out:

3 Likes

…but also, I think they really want to avoid making 100s of kms of new roads every few weeks, because they want the roads to be more crowded (many people feel less lonely, more inspired, that way).

That’s why they also restrict the number of available worlds at any time, right? They restrict it, but at the same time they lets us use the world hack or ZwiftPref to access any world if we are very eager and don’t feel lonely by accessing them :wink:

I used to ride around when there were fewer than 100 people in total and the rest were blue ghost riders!

those were the days! haha

I understand that creating new roads with a high level of detail takes time, but for me the eye candy wears off quickly and what matters more is the length of the courses and the variety of the terrain.

I’m sure Neokyo will be fun for a bit, but flat roads aren’t my thing and the courses are short. To get a long ride in on even the longest course you will have to circle the same roads over and over again, which gets boring.

As far as the roads being filled with cyclists, that’s something I don’t really care so much about. I actually prefer empty roads over crowded roads.

It’s just been a disappointing couple of years for Zwift. Maybe I’m spoiled since I’ve been a Zwift member since Zwift started and am used to more rapid expansion of roads to ride on.

1 Like

I just did the update. It took a long time and had multiple steps (unusual).

Update just dropped

I think the “double update” was the same as one of the larger ones previously.

Love the ramen shop at the start of Neokyo All-Nighter! :ramen:

1 Like

Who the heck decides to go for the ‘shiny road look’ and then deal with the reflections by presenting a single blurry (bitmap?) that just rotates permanently under the rider and clips at the horizon. Neon road while riding through a park.

Lazy and annoying, It’s like watching a weird inverted aurora or some kind of screen burn-in. Terrible, substandard experience.

Also, Neokyo seems devoid of significant visual landmarks so learning routes is just not going to happen for me. The best way to describe the experience is like a weird sweaty neon theme-park ride where you just lurch around corners from one visual assault to another. What’s with the ‘arcade’?

Just go back to Watopia and get that feeling of open space, gentle movement and horizons. Then take a look at Neokyo and to some extent Makuri in total. So disappointing. Watopia is a true alternative to riding on the road, Neokyo will never be that.

Gotta wonder if any actual users are going your UX testing Zwift, because it really doesn’t feel like it at this point.

And at one corner you share the road with moving cars, which is a minor gripe but as far as I’m concerned you can fire that concept straight into the sun in Zwift-world.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I actually count endless neon lit buildings a scenery. The whole thing’s a claustrophobic mess as best.

Neokyo is not my cup of tea either but maybe there is more Zwifters who doesn’t take this Zwift virtual world seriously as i do. Just wondering for those who are suffering occasionally migraine what this Neokyo do for them. I will probably get my badges from Neokyo and after that i will ride other routes in Makuri Island which are less colourful.

2 Likes