My smart trainer is now dumb!

All, this is driving me nuts. My Kinetic by Kurt Rock And Roll Control Bike Trainer has decided to “get dumb” and act like a plain ole flywheel trainer. I run my setup (BP monitor, trainer & cadence) via Bluetooth through the companion app to an Apple TV. Has worked for years and now it has puked. I’ve updated the companion app software on the iPhone, Zwift on the Apple TV and power cycled and re-calibrated the trainer. No luck. Maybe others are having this issue due to a recent update maybe? When I pair devices it sees the trainer so it at least recognizes there is a smart trainer there.

So frustrating to hit a hill and the virtual speed decreases even though my cadence hasn’t dropped…with no increase in resistance.

So frustrating I almost can’t ride it like this. Might as well go out in the 100F+ heat instead.

Can you try just pairing the trainer directly to the Apple TV and not use the companion app (don’t pair the HRM or cadence either), just to see if it works that way… process of elimination…

Also check that you pair as Power AND Controllable.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Anyone aware of a route that starts out quickly in relatively steep hills. I’d prefer my testing to be fairly short each time. : )

Harrogate, Road To Sky, Mountain Route, Lutscher, Temples and Towers

Road to sky then u-turn immediately and turn right. You have the reverse epic KOM immediately.

1 Like

So frustrating to hit a hill and the virtual speed decreases even though my cadence hasn’t dropped…with no increase in resistance.

This is the correct behaviour though - if you hit a hill IRL and you ride at the exact same power as you were on the flat, you would be going a lot slower…!

If your trainer is connected as a controllable, open up menu/settings and check you haven’t dragged the “trainer difficulty” slider all the way to the left as this will disable the resistance also…! If it’s not that then I’m out of ideas :3

1 Like