Mont Ventoux, Col du Galibier, Col du Tourmalet

I must confess: I love the Alpe. I think it’s one of Zwift’s most spectacular updates, well, well done! Now I have a dream: having Mont Ventoux, Col du Galibier and Col du Tourmalet also on Watopia (okay, for the names I have no solution right now…). Maybe somehow not too far away from the Alpe therefore there can be a route: “The Four Holy Mountains”. I thought I’ve read about that these four climbs are so named. And then a jersey unlock “Conqueror of the Four Holy Mountains”. Or so. I know, Zwifters prefer in general flats; but the Alpe is popular and another (or three other) famous climbs would be marvelous.

There are thousands of great climbs around the world. I think it would be a shame to limit Zwift climbs to France. There are other posts on this topic as well.
https://forums.zwift.com/t/future-courses-islands/

2 Likes

Please add the Mont Ventoux.

2 Likes

Won’t happen. Too long and dare I day fairly boring. If you want to ride it virtually then do it using Rouvy.

2 Likes

There are thousands of better climbs to add before this one.

Hi, for your next world, could you model it around Mont Ventoux and add the three routes up the mountain and therefore be able to have a virtual Cingles du Mont Ventoux challenge? Plenty of other flatter route options could also be modeled around the base of the mountain.
Or add the mountain and challenge to Watopia?
Wishful thinking maybe but it would be great to see.
Cheers!

3 Likes

I would be happy if there was a way to go “to the other side” of the Alpe. It’s a big flaw in the current route lineup … it would open a lot of possibilities in terms of new (and more challenging) courses.

1 Like

Obviously Zwift invests a lot of work in defining climbs, so a comprehensive sampling of the Alpes would come at the expense of offering a broader variety of routes for people who prefer more varied terrain.

If you want a lot of climbs, I’d point you to FulGaz which uses video rather than computer animation so can “roll out” climbs quickly, as an occasional alternative (but obviously not replacement) for Zwift.

My idea for a Zwift expansion is there’s an intriguing coastline extended around L’Alpe. It seems like perfect spot for the final kilometers of Milan-San Remo, with a coast road, with inland short climbs, and optionally with an epic climb up to the summit from the backside, for example Zoncolan in Italy for people who can’t get enough of super-steep stuff.

4 Likes

If you want go to fulgaz.

Why not ask for iconic climbs? A grand coastal road is definitely doable, but why not go for iconic climbs? The Stelvio would be an awesome addition, perhaps Sa Colabra.

There is a current watopia request hidden somewhere with some excellent expanded watopia routes, with the perimeter road, extra desert, and behind the Epic KOM, jungle, and the Alpe.

So long as we dont see many more radio tower esque climbs I am happy.

I was coming at this question from a perspective of triage : that there exists only the human bandwidth to design so many roads, so decisions need to be made. The Zwift approach has been to design high-quality routes, with plenty of specific scenery, in contrast for example to the “magic roads” of RGT (which I’ve not tried). So if the focus is put on doing a bunch of 1500 meter monsters, that other potential routes won’t be implemented.

1 Like

I personally would like to see more real life climb options in Zwift…gets my vote.

3 Likes

It’s epic for sure. Stelvio is my vote.
The Koppenburg and a few other Belgium climbs are in the works.

Oh, I forgot probably Mt. Fuji. We just don’t know if the Olympic course will be released this summer or not. If it is done, give it to us. Don’t make us wait because the Olympics are postponed until 2021.

Nah they are further ahead to push other new roads and keep the Tokyo course fresh. The issue with all the UCI courses is they get incredibly stale due to lack of future development. Richmond is laughable, the refresh has bumped it but the routes are still dull, so that’s that. Innsbruck is either a long steady climb, a climb of low gradient with punchy bits, or a flat loop with a little kicker or the reverse, Yorkshire already needs an expansion.

I love Richmond. It was better without people. I agree Tokyo will be pushed out only near Olympic times. But there’s still plenty of roads in near future. I just can’t talk about it just yet. Big news soon .

I am aware new roads are on the way, rumourmill is going strong, just the details of which are the question!

Event only like Bologna. It doesn’t matter, they’ve ruined a great opportunity.

Totally agree. Nobody is requesting ‘event only’ as a riding option.
France will be open. It’s just the Paris Champs course as event only, so I’m told.
Don’t think such a huge world would be made just for event only.
You’ll just have to wait a little bit more. Promise.

2 Likes

I kind of fear that they will keep making “event only” non-sense out of these mythical climbs.

There are 9 new route badges in todays update. One of them called Ven-Top. Maybe Mt. Ventoux is coming.