Make use of the M1 processor on iPad Pros

I had heard the same! Ah well.

Any news on this?

2 Likes

Let‘s hope the new Apple TV will be an incentive to finally address all the iOS/MacOS/TvOS graphic issues.
That Zwift is not running native on M1/M2 Macs is ridiculous.

4 Likes

The new Apple TV uses this SoC:

Unless they change things, it will be exactly the same as the other Apple TV 4K models.

1 Like

I know, the A15 cores however are the same found on the M1. The M1 has more CPU and GPU cores.
It looks like Zwift on iOS is limited to 30 fps, but the potential of this SoC is visible when you take a closer look at the minimum fps compared to other devices.

Add another voice for Apple TV 4K to increase the graphics profile used!

4 Likes

DCR had a comment in his latest Apple TV post when someone asked about M1 Macs:

Yeah, I think I’ll have some news to share there very shortly.

(Trust me, I’m in the same boat of c’mon….)

Keeping expectations low of course.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s been talking to JM.

1 Like

M1 supported will release with the Mount Fuji KOM :wink:

3 Likes

More reddit insight:

Yes and no - we’re switching Zwift to use a lower level API so we can have more graphics capabilities available in a reliable way. This change should be invisible to Zwifters at first but will pave the way for those future capability increases.

Thus far iOS and AppleTV devices have all been switched, as well as almost all macbooks - except the m1/m2! Seems like Apples drivers were slightly different on M1/M2. So yes, changes are coming (probably within 30 days!) for M1/M2s to start running on hte Metal API (vs OpenGL), but No, visual changes wont be apparent until next year sometime.

In the meantime we’ve been conservative with using up extra processing power on higher end devices so we have power in reserve to spend for the updated graphics.

1 Like

Yeah I posted that in the other thread yesterday. :+1:

2 Likes

Are they switching to lower-level API only on Apple devices, or will it come to PC version too (Vulcan)?

1+ for the option to get better graphics on iPad Pro m1 + m2.

I’ve asked that before, predictably no response. I would doubt it to be honest. Last time I got any sort of feedback on the prospect of switching to Vulkan (years ago), the thought was that it wouldn’t improve much/anything anyway. Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of people are using integrated graphics, so high performance improvements don’t matter to them.

The change off OpenGL has been forced on Apple, the same doesn’t apply on Windows.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought so, and it makes me sad. I think Vulkan would make huge difference on Yumezi. Also performance bump on AMD cards, including iGPUs, would be immense. Maybe this would be good reason to consider Vulkan.

@Jon says

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Yep, that’s me asking the question. There is hope for us after all.

2 Likes

We’re now well past 2 years, and now there’s only one remaining Intel-based Mac in their lineup… yet we still don’t have proper support from Zwift.

3 Likes

Has there been any update or change on this issue yet?

When I stream my screen it seems to only be 720p. This seems super low for an M1 ipad. Even a basic Android device (Lenovo P11 Pro) was able to do 1080p Streams and resolution.