Mac OS X and Computrainer

Zwift works fine on my old (2008) 17" MacBook Pro.

4GB Ram, 512 MB Graphics card

FTDI adaptor (which works ok with PC and Ergvideo stuff) , ANT+ for cadence from Powertap Pro, and Garmin ANT+ HR strap.

However, when I try to run the same setup on my newer 15" Retina Macbook Pro, the Computrainer cannot be found/seen in order to connect. The ANT+ devices are all ok.

The different I thought was that the newer machine was USB3.

I found a later version FTDI driver on their web site for OS X 10.9 and above. Installed it and on the first time in Swift the Computrainer was seen on Com0, however it didn’t connect. The computer hung with a BBOD.

Upon restarting there has been nothing on the computrainer side after many different attempts of swopping USB ports, starting up in different sequences, etc. The ANT + stuff are all still ok.

Any  assistance is welcome.

I should note that I did not uninstall the older FTDI drivers before installing the later one (FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_3.dmg) because I do not know how to do so. Perhaps this is the problem?

Thanks

Problem solved.

I found out that the Suunto Moveslink s/w for Movescount was hogging the COM port. 

Once I quit the Moveslink app the Computrainer connected and now everything works well.

The superior graphics on the Retina Macbook Pro made getting this issue sorted out worth the effort. 

Thanks for sharing your solution!