Mac Monterey 12.6.3 Zwift App Crashes on Launch

First off, I’m new here at this forum. So if I’m doing anything wrong, kindly let me know.

I’m currently having a crash issue with an iMac I’m trying to use to run Zwift. As soon as I click “Let’s Go”… it’ll crash and shut down within 3 seconds. Every single time. Yes I’ve uninstall, reinstall. Re-downloaded installer. Checked Privacy settings. No luck.

But here’s the strangest part. I have multiple Mac’s here (don’t ask…) and the Zwift app seems to run fine on the other machines. They are… 2011 MacBook Pro on Catalina. 2015 MacBook Air on Monterey 12.6.3, and 2021 Mac M1 Mini on Monterey 12.6.3. So yes, Zwift runs fine on 12.6.3.

Yes of course I can just use either of the laptops and that will be that. But I really do want to utilize the 27" iMac for a much better experience.

Anyone with some insight as to what I might do to get this resolved is much appreciated.

Joe

The same situation as you.After I updated Zwift this morning it’ll crash and shut down within 3 seconds as you said.And I couldn’t find any logs of Zwift in Crash Reports of the system.Hope someone could help us.

Same situation here. 13-inch, M1, 2020 MacBook Pro, OS is Ventura 13.1.

Same here. 13-inch, Intel, 2020 MacBook Pro, iOS Ventura 13.2.1.

Same here. 14 LENOVO But in windows 10.

Same here. PC windows 10

By any chance have you selected Chinese language in the game? It seems to be broken in the latest release and crashes after login. Someone mentioned that creating a new account allowed selection of a different language.

https://forums.zwift.com/t/1-33-4-108256-software-automatic-shutdown/603253

At first I thought it was a compatibility issue with certain versions of Mac OS. Apparently that’s not the case. Coz as I stated in my original post, it runs fine on my Air with Monterey. The Zwift app just somehow doesn’t want to play nice with my iMac with Monterey. And now it’s confirmed that this shutting down/crashing issue happens in the Win 10 environment as well.
Think I’ll just go back to the iPad or Apple TV route instead. Both seem to be very stable with no crashing issues. Wasted too much time already trying to figure this out… especially when there’s zero response from Zwift here… =(

Same here, running on a 2015 MBP 13". Doesn’t look like there’s any help coming so I guess I need to go get my work machine.

UPDATE found a weird hacky workaround. if you choose to “just watch” instead of entering the game to ride you can get in. the game loads. and then you can choose the “back to me” option. the downside is that you can’t choose which world to ride in.

This sounds like the new issue in the latest release, probably not the same as the original post in this thread

I all but gave up on trying to get this to run on my iMac… then I got lucky and found this article that provided a workaround. Unfortunately… this forum doesn’t allow me to include the URL here. So do a search for “[macOS and Apple Metal [February 2023]” and read that post.

It never dawned on me that it was a Zwift/ Apple Metal support issue. Or simply put, the Zwift app will no longer support system running on Non-Metal systems. As I am running a 2010 iMac, patched to run Monterey, the hardware, non metal graphics, is technically not supported.

Strangely, or at least to me since I have limited software knowledge, there is a workaround. Rather than trying to explain it, which I actually do not fully understand, read that post above. Following the method laid out, I am able to run Zwift now… mostly… The terminal will be running in the background while Zwift is running… no big deal… and I have to login everytime I start the app… minor annoyance but again not a big deal. Only thing… it does seem to take quite a bit longer to load things… Once loaded though, say a ride or a workout, things seem to be running ok.

Hope this helps anyone running on a patched Mac OS.

Same issue here on Windows 10 Pro. The app remains active in the System Tray though. Reinstalling doesn’t fix the issue. Any way to upvote this issue?

Seems more topics related to similar issues. If I were Zwift I would get back to previous patch and properly use DTAP.