Long Hair Options for Avatars

Yes please! No options for long haired riders! A simple braid would do it. I suspect the people that want it in general won’t be on the forums, so demand will be greater than on here. Thanks developers! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes! Absolutely agree! Why so many awful short hair options?! The gals I know won’t be on the forums either.

1 Like

Also, and this should be easy, a bun option – a big bun = long hair without all the flopping around to model. +1 to the requests for more grey options – salt-and-pepper, too.

1 Like

:joy: So true! I personally think that long braids wouldn’t look good either :joy::crazy_face: But people have opinions too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I vote for long hair options! I just signed up for Zwift and was really disappointed to see that all the hairstyles for me as a female rider / avatar are basically just the male hairstyles. It’s 2020 and women cycle too! For a sport that is known for being pretty alienating for women to get into and predominately filled with men, Zwift is actively making it so that women can’t even be visually represented. This is really sexist IMO and isn’t at all impossible to do, as one person wrote above how they’ve been doing long hair in video games for quite some time. I’m honestly really shocked that Zwift doesn’t give women with hair longer than chin-length the ability to feel represented via their avatar. Two thumbs down for Zwift in this arena.

6 Likes

I totally support long hair! And braids!!

3 Likes

And has anyone noticed that when the “white” hair colour is chosen for the “female” hair it shows up as blonde, yet for the short “male” hairstyles, white shoes up as chosen? What’s up with that?

Yes, long hair please.
How many votes do they need to add the long hair option?

3 Likes

Yes. We need long hair options. And not just for the women. My male partner has hair down to his waist and none of the male avatars come close to his look either.

2 Likes

Hey folks!

Noticed some recent activity on this thread and I wanted to pop in and provide some clarification to make sure ya’ll know we’re listening!

The reason Zwift has yet to add longer hairstyle options for avatars is simply due to graphical limitations. Notice that all hairstyles are above the shoulders? This is because certain hairstyles become impossible to render without visual issue. Since hairstyles don’t allow a lot of wiggle room for animation (think a helmet made of hair), any styles below the shoulders would just clip through the avatars and appear severely broken. Rather than having a bunch of rogue braids and ponytails attached to torsos, we opted to keep hairstyles to a certain length for now.

While I understand this may not be the answer many of ya’ll were searching for, I hope this clarifies the limitation with the current hairstyles in game, and let’s ya’ll know your requests are being heard and discussed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Julie – thank you for reading and responding. I hope this limitation will be overcome some day. But it’s good that the feature request has gotten a respectful answer from inside Zwift.

2 Likes

Thanks. That explanation helps. Even a ponytail for the longest hair option that you can do would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been wondering what I’m doing wrong with my avatar that I don’t find the long hair option. Would love to have it.

1 Like

Why not do some testing with a few options to see what the female riders prefer! I’d rather have a static blonde ponytail or braid(s) down my back attached to my jersey than no long hair option at all! :pray:t2::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yaaaaaas!!! :heart:

So what about “helmet” looks that imply long hair? Princess Leia braid-buns?

It’s great to see they have added a more diverse selection of hair styles. Well done Zwift!

But what about the women? There are so few hairstyles (and even the most feminine pony looks more like a man-bun), with such a small selection of colour options, that we all look the same. Please can some women’s hairstyles be included in the next update?

This was posted yesterday by someone from Zwift, and should answer your question:

1 Like

Thanks. That’s helpful, and appreciate it’s technically difficult, but they don’t necessarily need to be long. There are a lot of feminine hairstyles above shoulder length. I didn’t actually specify long hair in my original post.

It does make you wonder how many women are in the room when they decide to blanket rule out women’s hairstyles on the assumption female = long hair, and long hair is technically difficult. :thinking:

What is interesting to me on this topic, and that I never actually noticed before specifically looking this morning, is that of the 22 different hairstyles available, Zwift seems to consider 10 of them “men’s” and 12 of them “women’s”. Why do I say this? Well, at least as I see it on my Apple TV, the first 10 faces appear to be men. Starting with the 11th ‘do’, (middle option in the fourth row), the avatar face changes from a more masculine look to a more feminine look. Specifically, the lips change. Now, whether each individual feels that the subsequent 12 hairstyles are feminine, or whether the initial 10 are masculine, is debatable, but it would appear to me that Zwift thinks they are.

1 Like