Long Hair Options for Avatars

Interesting. I just had a look on mine and couldn’t see the difference, but that was on a tiny screen with my bad eyesight.

Regardless of what they seem to decide constitutes a masculine/ feminine hairstyle I think the fact most females choose the same hairstyle says a lot.

I’m actually tempted to go for the mohawk just to be different. :haircut_woman:

1 Like

The mohawk is the best! I just wish they offered more colors, and that it was longer and spikier!

1 Like

My mullet is sad :confused:

I am in the same boat. I have long dark hair and don’t understand why there aren’t longer hair options for avatars. It looks like this has been a topic in the forum for a number of years so it would be great to get some good news.

Please see below from a different thread.

3 Likes

Someone else explained to me that jerseys are rendered separately from heads and they can’t overlap – that’s why we can’t have long hair. I immediately thought this explanation should be more widely known since this is such a wished-for feature. Put it in the avatar design section of the game so we don’t have to go looking for it!

I hope you add more hair styles and facial features. Long single braid would be nice and a couple pony tail and pig tail options would be greatly appreciated! Other than the hairstyles I think Zwift is doing a great job. I have not been on the app long enough to make other suggestion. :slight_smile:

I would be sincerely glad to see long hair in Zwift too :slight_smile: I understood it’s not technically feasible for the moment but if you guys find a solution, that would be awesome !

So there is some technical issues with getting long hair supported . But there is technical issues getting a lot of things supported , but they get done . What is the difference here , not that this is any more unsurmountable a technical issue , its that there is less importance being applied to addressing it .

Perhaps spending the time used to build fantasy character avatars for short term publicity events could instead be channeled into looking at this . As someone above has suggested , maybe even as a “FutureWorks” … try out offering .

Would there be the same response if we were complaining about no long beards ?

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation - this makes sense! What about a messy bun/ponytail option …that is what my long hair looks like most of the time :slight_smile:

As I understand it, the ‘technical issue’ is that the hair/head and the jersey are different elements in the programing. So, to support the long hair option Zwift would have to curate, and the program would then have to load, separate jersey options for long vs short hair. Perhaps not insurmountable, but certainly an additional use of memory, which already seems to be overloaded.

Why not just draw with a marker on the screen of where your avatar is? :smirk: I mean you could make the hair whatever color you wanted and whatever style :rofl:

This seems long overdue. :expressionless:

1 Like

As I said , the fact this hasnt been done is a active choice made by Zwift to not support something and that choice appears a little bit suspect from a diversity perspective. As you said they quite happily load memory with plenty (far to many) other things.

This doesn’t affect me personally but seems like a no brainer for inclusivity.

But the main reason I’m commenting on seeing this is that I love the fact that Zwift’s excuse is that it would look bad. Like have they seen the rest of their game / programming? :joy:

Like parts of the roads hover above the grass. And they’re concerned about a little bit of clipping with long hair?

2 Likes

Same! Let the braid get glitchy and cut off by certain jerseys or helmets. Optimize it as you go on. I just want the option!

2 Likes

While we’re talking avatar customization, I’d like “stubble” as a facial hair option, which seems an easy one to model. (I am neither bare-faced, nor bearded)

1 Like

You should open a new feature request as this is for voting for Long hair.

Yes, get this long hair option implemented asap. Really miss the good old times. Remember Mullet / Vokuhila? :sweat_smile:

Just kidding, but long hair option would still be nice to have.

1 Like

As I understand Team Zwift isn‘t able to realize it without clipping and graphical problems.

Like the trees in the wind in some mountain routes when the tribe is shaking through the floor.

Maybe it‘s time for a new graphic engine…I mean with a look to seceral MMO Games (in which it is also needed to realtime render where other players are because you need to aim them…) the characters have a wide variety of looks.

Look at fortnite. Thousands of Characters & Customisations, 360 degree gameplay (3rd person shooter) and still runing in 4k at 120fps on many systems.

Oh and its free to play by the way…

You really want to tell me that for the 15,- Euro a month Zwift membership it is impossible to get hairstyles. Really???