Kickr Bike & Trainer resistance is non responsive in free ride [August 2021] [1.16.0]

I’m having this problem and I’m using JetBlack Whisper smart trainer and iPad 2018 (5th gen)

IPad is not working for me. I have no resistance on hills after last update

It worked for me first time. Then I had to quit Zwift app on iPad because Zwift would not detect the Kickr Bike as controllable.

Once I forced quit the app and started it worked.

@shooj have Zwift HQ been able to move forward with this?

Cheers

Hi everyone

Thanks for following up with information on steps you’re taking to reproduce the problem. Those details are helpful to our engineers who are working on stomping this bug.

In the meantime, the workaround that we’ve mentioned upstream does seem to work in most situations. Please see this Support Hub article for the summary of that workaround

3 Likes

There appears to be a similar issue with the Atom & ATV… I would put a ticket in but that will disappear into the ether and get no updates going forward.

If I Perform a workout in erg… End work out and continue in free ride and you are stuck in the gear you are placed in… zwift won’t respond to gear changes.
This has only been in place a few weeks / month or so… so 1.15 or 1.16.
Only way to fix this is to kill zwift and power cycle the atom and basically start again.

Hi - I use a Wahoo Kickr v5 and run Zwift on Apple TV. I have also been having issues since the last update where erg mode isn’t working on structured workouts. I have found that I can get it to work by ending my Zwift session, force closing the Zwift app on Apple TV and then restarting Zwift (I think this is the same procedure as the workaround).

So I am assuming this is the same issue as others have been posting in this thread and will be resolved by a future Zwift version - until I found this thread I thought it was an issue with my trainer! Keen to know status for fix so any update would be appreciated - thanks

1 Like

I have had a similar problem but rather than my kickr bike being completely unresponsive, the trainer difficulty has increased drastically, I always ride on 10% however, since yesterday, my trainer difficulty has made it so that all climbs are an agonizing grind where I have to set to the lowest gear possible and can only put in about 40rpm while still putting out regular watts, then when going downhill the opposite happens as I am forced to set my bike into the highest gear and despite pedalling at a ridiculous 120-130rpm only being able to put out 80-100 despite my ftp being 220

1 Like

Similar issue here, wondered if my watt/cadence issue was because of me running an MTB with a 42t chain ring but the issue only happened in a workout, first one I have taken - the Academy Orientation.

Kickr core 2020 - 1.1.1
iPad Pro - Zwift 1.16.1
Bluetooth - Zwift sees Kickr no problem for power, controllable and cadence

Resistance has worked as advertised on routes and free rides. But today on flats to perform the academy orientation, the second I passed thru the start of the program (then the hoop), resistance was an issue. To hit the warm up watts saw me pedaling like a mad man, and there was no way to get close to needed watts at the desired cadence. I tried changed the trainer resistance, moving it from 50 to 100% which saw resistance kick in massively and I was at 350 watts for a few seconds than I saw a message in the watt/cadence part of the UI that said something like resetting ERG and resistance was gone again and I was spinning like a lunatic trying to get to 125 watts.

Now it could be the 42t chainring - assume that is going to give me a hard time on downhills. But wanted to add to this discussion as Zwift support suggested for me to contact Wahoo and ask of my Kickr is performing within normal parameters and this shouldn’t have happened

Cheers
Andrew

Does the release of 1.16.2 address this issue in any way?

2 Likes

it is very frustrating, I have the same issue, I have been a proud user of Zwift for many years but this Is pushing me towards other platforms

1 Like

Hi there. Does the latest patch rectify this issue.

Pull the plug on Apple TV each time

I used Apple TV yesterday and joined a ride straight away, resistance seemed okay and the climb feature of Kickr Bike did work. I didn’t try any other rides after that and was only in Tempus Fugit so that’s not much of a test.

my resistance seemed to work last night but tried again this morning on a training session and it was not working again - ZWIFT please roll back to pre 19th August , this is not acceptable

Slightly different than what I’m reading in this thread – but I’m finding this issue happening on a MacBook Pro with the Kickr core during workouts. The watt level will not stay the same and the resistance will make it incredibly hard to pedal. Sometimes when starting a ride it will be at full resistance as well during a workout or a free ride.

Did two different rides today and seemed to back to normal with latest update… so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Ok 3 day after my last post…… with the latest update to zwift on Apple TV and wahoo v5 kickr issue still present…… first ride works fine and then start another ride, event, workout or meetup and no resistance and no climb working. Your work around of force quitting zwift seams to be working though. Has anyone else still having issues and zwift please advise.

Hey everyone - not sure if you all have solved your issues yet or if my experience may help. My Kickr Bike with Appletv and also an iPad has been giving almost no resistance up inclines. I tried on Fulgaz and it didn’t work there either so I started interacting with Wahoo. They told me to try doing brief workouts in the three modes on the Wahoo app (level, erg, and sim). It seemed to be working fine in their app. So I disconnected with that and went back to Zwift and it was working again.

This just happened so course I’m not sure if it will work tomorrow or even 5 minutes from now but it did actually make a difference and might be worth a shot if yours still isn’t working.

Good luck!

UPDATE: I’m 3 days out from my post and everything is still working fine.

Looks like this has broken again on Apple TV. No resistance control and just gets stuck