KICKR ‘17 Resistance Issues

I’ve been experiencing an issue since the recent Zwift update that makes riding feel like the brakes are on. Courses that I ride regularly now require much more effort then before and just don’t feel right. I’ve also noticed that the watts displayed seem to be all over the place- 25W then 60W then 180W- even when maintaining a consistent speed and effort on a flat route.

I’m using KICKR ‘17 and AppleTV. All software is using the latest versions available. I was not experiencing this issue before and the only thing that has changed is the Zwift version.

Exactly the same for me, even on 0% difficulty and rising on Tempus Fugit.

It feels a lot tougher in places and Watts fluctuate wildly, while keeping a very steady cadence (80rpm +/-1)

Hi @Edwin_Thaves

Is this happening on all worlds and routes or just certain ones you’ve ridden since the last update?

Is this happening on all SIM mode rides or just Events? Any issues with ERG mode workouts?

Does shutting off the KICKR for several minutes, then powering it back on and pairing it to Zwift again make any difference?

Considering what you and @MRBaldi_T-ZHR said, plus in looking at this other Forums thread, I’ve seen at least 3 examples from KICKR using Zwifters here on the Forums reporting what appears to be the exact same issue.

For me, this constitutes a trend and I’ll flag it up to a higher technical authority on the team. I’ll update you when I know more. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for following up Steven.

“Is this happening on all worlds and routes or just certain ones you’ve ridden since the last update?”

That’s a great question. I tend to ride the same routes fairly often. I’ll try some different worlds and routes and share my experiences.

“Is this happening on all SIM mode rides or just Events? Any issues with ERG mode workouts?”

It seems to be happening with all rides and not just events. I don’t do a lot of workouts in Zwift so don’t really have any issues to report there.

“Does shutting off the KICKR for several minutes, then powering it back on and pairing it to Zwift again make any difference?”

I unplug my KICKR after each Zwift session because I have a naughty little cat that likes to chew cords. Haven’t noticed this having any difference.

1 Like

Hi @MRBaldi_T-ZHR ,

In taking a closer look at your account and setup, it seems you’ve not paired the Wahoo KICKR as “Controllable” on the pairing screen, which might explain why there isn’t any resistance.

Also, it seems that in most cases you’ve used a Stages power meter rather than the Wahoo KICKR to measure your power/watts in-game.

If you’re using a different account that has more examples of you using the KICKR for power and resistance in Zwift, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi @Edwin_Thaves

Thanks for getting back to me with the answers to those questions!

Furthermore, have you tested your KICKR on any other apps (e.g. RGT, or SYSTM, or even the Wahoo Fitness app) to make sure it’s not an issue witih the KICKR itself?

I just want to be sure it’s only happening on Zwift and isn’t an issue specific to your trainer before I sound the alarms and start calling in the developers to begin investigating.

After I experienced the resistance issues last night on Zwift, I force quit the app and launched RGT. I didn’t experience any of the resistance issues using the RGT AppleTV app.

There was a noticeable difference between the apps which leads me to believe it isn’t an issue with KICKR.

Hi @Edwin_Thaves

Understood and thanks for confirming that it’s only an issue with Zwift.

I’ve reached out to my colleagues on the team and am making an effort to pool our resources to see what can be done to identify more examples of this. If I can get a firm and verifiable trend established, it makes a stronger case when presented to the Zwift developers.

I had initially thought we had a clear trend established with 3 example cases, but after taking a closer look at MRBaldi_T-ZHR’s account, I’m left with a bit of uncertainty there. I’ll definitely let you know once I have more information.

I wasn’t complaining there was no resistance, I’m complaining because resistance was despite me setting it as 0%

And I’ve only ridden Zwift actively twice in the past month, both times to lead my own ride, and not since the issue two weeks ago. What you see as linked to Stages is me using Zwift to record data while I’m coaching - I don’t actually use Zwift interactively, it could be any other program that collects data.

If it weren’t for my own weekly ride that I lead, I don’t use Zwift at all. I pay for privilege of leading a ride…

Hi

Was this issue ever resolved?
I use an Elite trainer and have the exact same issue and cannot get help.