IPAD losing my trainer mid ride

Recently I have had my IPAD lose the connection to my trainer (Tacx Vortex) mid ride, bringing me to a stop. happened this morning in a race which meant I couldn’t finish the race. Had the trainer and Ipad for about 18 Months now and never had any problems before

I exit, go and select the trainer again and it works fine again. Anyone else had this problem recently?

Sorry to hear that! We do have a troubleshooting guide for dropouts in case you want to avoid this in the future: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/my-bluetooth-signal-is-dropping-running--BJkESEzU7

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your reply. this use to work fine, the only thing that has changed was a recent update to zwift on my IPAD. None of the recommendations on the link seem to apply.

I am mostly curious to see if other people are experiencing similar problems.

Thanks

Just to add to this, its not like a drop out. the app seems to forget the trainer and then I have to go into the selection screen where I have to select my power source again. When I do that it works again.

If it was just a drop out I would expect it to reacquire the trainer when the signal comes back and wouldn’t need me to re-select the trainer

1 Like

iPad user here. Yes!!! Same issue. All connections are a go and then I will suddenly loose resistance. I look down at trainer and I have a solid blue light. Normally it flashes. Have to exit program completely and close app, reopen. Troubleshooting guide no help either.

1 Like

Hey @KiwiGuy were you connecting your Tacx to another app before starting Zwift? Were you able to try disconnecting your trainer from all other devices completely, then starting Zwift?

@Bug_Riggs this sounds like a slightly different issue where your trainer is still paired but loses resistance. This is an issue we’re tracking with iOS devices currently. Can you send in a support conversation if you haven’t already and include your log files for those rides?

Here’s how to send your log files: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/how-do-i-find-my-log-files-running--HkFCtXX8m

The log files do not go back far enough to issues … but did hit the conversation link and sent more info.

Thanks @Bug_Riggs! We also have a Known Issues post on the existing resistance issues mainly with iOS: FIXED: Trainer Resistance Issues (Mainly on iOS Devices) - #3 by Vincent_Williams1

I only use zwift with my trainer no other apps. When I use the tacx Utility I have full 5 bars signal so not any problems with signal strength.

Thanks
PJ

Hey Pieter just looking for an update. Are you still experiencing this problem? If so I’d recommend sending in a support conversation and send in your log files for the rides where your trainer disconnects.

Hello, I am suffering from the same issue here.
3 times today it happened.
While riding I could see my rider just stopping on the side of the road and that’s because there is no connection anymore between my ipad and my wahoo kickr2018. So I have to either go to the menu and look for new connection and reselect the trainer.
But sometimes the trainer doesn’t appear so I have to kill the app and relaunch it.
So you could say that a connection issue but since my garmin watch is still receiving the signal and so does the ipad on the wahoo fitness app I would tend to say that the issue is not here.
Any idea of what could solve this ?
Thanks

Regis-A: Do you use ZCA (Zwift Companion App) on your iPad?

The same happened to me yesterday (Kickr 18, ZCA on iPad, Apple TV) … just several meters before the top of NY climb all I lost the resistance (afaik there is slope about 15%), my data (watts, HR, cadence) went to 0, and my avatar stopped. There was “No connection” message in pairing screen

I had to close ZCA (double tap Home button in iPad and swipe ZCA out). Then restarted it again and all connections were back and could continue my ride as usual.

I just guess there was a Wifi connection problem/drop between my AppleTV and iPad and I had to restart ZCA to restore it (I use ZCA to transmit all signals to AppleTV) …

1 Like

@Godmother_Fox thanks you for your feedback but I was not using ZCA. I will try to connect with an ANT+ UBS2 to my laptop since I suspect that the bluetooth connection might be a root cause.

I would like to know if there is a kind of ‘auto-connect’ option in the zwift app which might be of some use here in case of signal lost.

I’ve started to get this too. iPad Air 2, Tacx Bushido - The Zwift app just loses the connection and everything comes to a halt. I have ZCA on my iPhone, but to prevent conflict I didnt try it and turned off BT on the phone and it still happened. Apps are all up to date (Tacx firmware is also up to date).