I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... Joining an Event

Hi all, I’m pretty new to Zwift!

I saw the new Neokyo Badge Hunting series and related unlockable kit, shoes, and helmet and thought it was time to give myself a fun challenge. I did 3/4 of the routes solo before I realized that I have to join the group events in order to unlock the gear (although the instructions definitely make it sound like solo still unlocks the gear). I signed up for two of the Neokyo badge hunting events today and got excited again! “I’ve never done an event so it’ll be fun!” I thought.

A few minutes before the event began today at 12:00pm PST I got ready and got on my bike. On the game screen where you choose your route it showed me “going” to the Neokyo event in the top right with a green check mark, but nothing was happening. I tried clicking this event on that screen but it did nothing. With about a minute left to go before the event I manually selected the same route as the event - “Sleepless City” - and loaded into the game, thinking maybe I have to be in the game first?

Upon the game loading, I immediately saw a popup on the bottom of my screen to join an event and I clicked “Join now” instead of waiting for the auto-count-down to finish. Happy I figured it out, I waited for my screen to load again. I was then taken to what appeared like a different event? It was some Watopia 3w/kg ride that I never added to my profile or joined through the ZC app. I wanted to complete the Sleepless City one and was definitely “going” to it. I rode for a few minutes before realizing this isn’t what I wanted to do and I couldn’t keep up with these guys. Dejected, I turned off my bike and decided to go back to work lol.

I’ve googled “how to join a zwift” event and it looks like I did everything right, so I have no idea what I’m missing. I’m trying this again in a few hours but I also don’t want to repeat the same mistake - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Yes, you need to spawn into a world, on any route, it doesn’t matter which one, to join an event.

You may have just encountered a glitch since you were so close to the start time of the event. Try again later and make sure to give yourself at least 5 minutes to get into the correct event.

Welcome to Zwift, have fun!!!

1 Like

Ah thank you. Hopefully that was it then. I’ll definitely spawn in at least 5 minutes before from now on! Thanks again :slight_smile:

My best guess is that in your clicking around before hitting the ride button you entered some additional event by accident and then joined that one instead of the one you wanted to. Not exactly the best of user interface design and supposedly something that is going to be addressed in the near future (a.k.a. zoon).

2 Likes

Sure @Anna_Ronkainen, blame the user! :wink:

1 Like