This is not a question or a request for support. Actually this is a how to.
I’ve had previously a discussion with Zwift support and also on other forums, but didn’t received any clear answers.
So, it might be that this could be helpful for other people with Garmin watches that would like to use it for heart rate data on Zwift instead of purchasing chest strap.
Steps on how to broadcast heart rate data to Zwift from Garmin watch (in my case Forerunner 645).
- Win 10
- Garmin Forerunner 645
- USB Ant +/Bluetooth adapter (took the cheapest one: ANT+ USB Stick Adapter (Amazon Canada link) *
* this specific usb adapter comming without official support, but you could take drivers and installation manual from trainerroad page (link to manual and download)
- Once usb adapter is attached and drivers are installed, go to Garmin Forerunner 645 watch:
Settings --> Wrist Heart Rate --> Broadcast Heart Rate
In this case the watch will start broadcasting the Heart Rate and now you can go back to Zwift and press on Search under Heart Rate devices. It should find it easily.
In this configuration you will not be able to use the Forerunner 645 watch since the screen will be “locked” on the broadcasting data of the heart rate.
Settings --> Wrist Heart Rate --> Broadcast During Activity (make it ON)
In this case when starting a new activity (example: indoor cycling) the watch will start broadcasting the heart rate, so just go to Zwift, press Search under Heart Rate devices.
1. Choice 2 – if someone could confirm to me if he could use the watch during the activity when it broadcasting the heart rate. Fore example : changing between screens, apps etc…
2. It could be a good idea to create a proper How to and add it to Zwift support page. Let me know if you’ll need any help with it )
well, that’s all for the moment )