How to Identify zPower Supported Non-Smart Trainer to Zwift

The Zwift Support hub indicates zPower support for a limited number of classic (i.e. non-smart) trainers, but I couldn’t find instructions for identifying which of these classic trainers I am using. I finally figured it out this morning. Hope this helps others in the Zwift Community.

After logging in, Zwift presents the “Paired Devices” dialog showing Power, Speed, Cadence, and Heart Rate sensor pairings. After pairing your Speed sensor, press “Change” within the box for the Speed sensor. Zwift then presents the “Searching” dialog box. Select your Speed sensor (it is already selected if only one Speed sensor is found) and then press “OK”. Zwift then presents the “Select Trainer” dialog. From this dialog, you can select either the “CycleOps Fluid 2”, “Kurt Kinetic”, or “Travel Trac Comp Fluid” zPower supported trainers, or “Not Listed” if you’re using a trainer that is not supported with zPower. Others may be supported at a later date, but these are the options as of Feb 2, 2015. Select the desired trainer and then press “OK”. Your selected trainer will then be displayed on the “Paired Devices” dialog within the box for the Speed sensor.

It appears that you will only have to do this once (i.e. you will not have to repeat the process each time you log in).

One further note: I was only doing this in order to figure out how to identify my CycleOps Fluid2 trainer to Zwift in advance of my trip next week when I will be using the Fluid2 instead of the Wahoo KICKR that I normally use at home. My normal setup consists of the KICKR (a Smart Trainer w/Power) and a combination Speed/Cadence sensor. The Zwift software pairs with both the KICKR for Power AND the Speed/Cadence sensor. If you have a Power meter paired, you won’t get the “Select Trainer” dialog as I described above (and normally this is what you want). To get the “Select Trainer” dialog, you must unpair the Power meter first, and then pair the Speed sensor.

This is not something you will normally have to do. As I said, I was only doing this in order to figure out how to identify my CycleOps Fluid2 trainer to Zwift in advance of my trip next week when I will be using the Fluid2 instead of the KICKR that I normally use at home.