Having trouble with speed

Mike and company, I have followed up on all the good suggestions. Unfortunately, speed is still way off. Sometimes way to fast but mostly drops off to low single digits with the psych downer of being passed by everyone including runners. I spoke with Garmin who assure me that my neo is transmitting both cadence and speed. And yes, I have disconnected the trainer power several times between rides. I simply do not understand why the program is not using that info or how it is calculating my speed. Posting a typical screen shot. I’m peddling small gear front, middle gear on cassette.
Since my last contact I have:

1. confirmed that height,weight, gender, and imperial are correct.
  2. all categories between Tacx neo and Z on my iPad pro are always paired.
  3. loaded the utilities program on iPhone and confirmed that trainer is up to date
  4. taken FTP ramp test and the result of 130 is correct under my profile.
  5. done several free rides with no ERG.
  6. resumed my 6 week FTP builder program
    I know you need all the info I can provide to help t-shoot this.
    There HAS to be a simple fix that I’m missing.
    Appreciate your patience and continued support.Zwift FG 6.10
    Fred.

Hi @Frederick_Greis, in the screen shot you posted you are on a 4% grade going uphill, with only 94 watts, the speed looks correct. Bike Calculator

Also, as for runners, they are not effected or slowed down by hills in Zwift. I’ve been passed by them too on KOM’s, it’s kind of silly :sob:

4 Likes

Mike.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at several screen shots and yes so far it looks like all the very low speeds are on grades. However, given the gears I’m using and the high cadence even when the neo kicks in the grade resistance, if I were doing the same on the road my speed would be at least low teens. Not 3mph. Next time this happens on a grade I will kick up the cadence and see if the speed picks up. I’ll continue the experiment and will watch to see if these low speeds are showing up on zero grades. Will post a shot if so and we’ll go from there. Learning a lot and hope these exchanges are helping others as well.

Will get back soon. Thanks.

Fred.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect any high speeds going up grades with watts below 100.

Can I ask what your weight, height, and age is.

Are you shifting gears while riding and not just increasing your cadence?

I would figure with a HR of 116 with watts of 94 you should have an FTP around 200 watts. What do you have your FTP set at?

Speed within Zwift is not calculated but cadence, this will help you in how it is calculated: How Does Zwift Determine My Speed?

2 Likes

So you are in a workout and the target is 95w so you can expect that speed on a 4% climb.

If you use ERG mode you can use any gear at any cadence and the trainer will keep you at 95w and your speed will stay the same.

3 Likes

If you are doing a workout in ERG mode, which you are in the screen shot above, the cadence won’t matter, the trainer will keep you at 95 watts (or whatever the target is based on the workout interval) regardless of the cadence you ride at (higher cadence will make it feel easier, lower cadence will make it feel harder). So, this will only matter if you are in a free ride situation where the resistance is based on the road gradient and terrain.

3 Likes

Where is your difficulty slider set? The closer this is to the left (zero) the more your Neo will approximate a ‘dumb’ trainer, and the less ‘real world’ the impact of gear changes will seem. Try putting the difficulty slider all the way to the right (100%) and then see if the gears you are riding more closely approximate what you would expect on an outdoor ride.

I’m reading and responding to all the feedback from you folks.

Gerrie, ERG is always activated in my workouts. Seems that this is a key feature of the neo smart trainer. Is there any reason to turn it off?

Understood Mike.

So can I assume that a lot of these riders passing me have the ERG turned off, and are doing free rides?

Some people like to turn it off and use the gears to adjust power.

I looked at some of my rides and your speed at 95w on a 4% climb look fine to me.

1. 178, 5’-8”, 62 Been a roady for 20 years.
  2. Both shifting and changing cadence. During a workout it asks me to hit a certain power like 95 watts and at the same time wants me to increase cadence to 90-100. To do both, I usually shift the an easier gear.
  3. I have only taken one ramp test and it set at 130. I only made it to the 200 watt ramp. That was three weeks ago and I will take it every two weeks as I expect it to go up of course.
  4. Yes I’ve read that link on speed. Under smart trainers it lists “in game bike frame and wheel set”. Have not seen if/where I am supposed to enter that.

Gerrie, ERG is always activated in my workouts. Seems that this is a key feature of the neo smart trainer. Is there any reason to turn it off?

This is news to me Nigel. I did not know there was one or where to find it on the screen and adjust it? I’ve viewed most of the vids on the Zwift site and missed this. Please educate me on how to do this.

Thank you.

You can see in your screen shot that there is a tiny bar graph on the left side of the Zwifters Nearby list, this indicates you are doing a workout. Many others also have this symbol. I would assume they have ERG mode on as well, but that might not be true. Regardless it doesn’t matter, workouts are individually tailored based on FTP, so if someone was doing the exact same workout as you are doing, but their FTP is 300 they will be going much faster than you.

You can also see everyone’s w/kg in the same list, yours is 1.2, while the person in front of you is not doing a workout (no bar graph symbol) and is putting out 2.2 w/kg. We don’t know their weight, but can assume they are producing more power so they will be moving faster.

1 Like

this refers to the virtual bike you are using, not your real one. You can “buy” faster frames and wheels in the drop shop, or unlock them as you level up or finish challenges (tron bike can only be unlocked by climbing and choosing the everest challenge). Zwiftinsider.com is your source for all the best bikes and at what level they can be unlocked or purchased.

1 Like

The difficulty slider can be found in the setting section in the menu (while you are in-game).

1 Like

Hi
I am new to Zwift. I did a ride last night at average of 200w with about 80rpm but my speed was 8 km/h. That can’t be right. It should have been high 20s to early 30s.
Could anyone tell me what may be the reason?

Hi @shane_elliott

Welcome to the forum.

If you were doing a route with a lot of climbing then it sound about right to be at 8km/h depending on your weight. .

2 Likes

It wasn’t particularly hilly and if I was doing 8 km/h my cadence would be 50.