Handicap/Disability Categories

If we cannot get a Handicap/Disability category for us who ride out of category.
Maybe it would attract even more users.
I do not mind to ride as the last always.
Or as one of the last 4.
I’m a hand bike rider. And miss an avatar.
And disability categorization.
Disability category:
G1 = 4.1 w / kg and above
G2 = 3.5-4.0 w / kg
G3 = 2.9-3.4 w / kg
G4 = 2.8-2.1 w / kg
G5 = 2.0 w / kg and below
Handicap/Disability category could be great.
It would give Parasport new opportunities in Zwift, and give us Handicap e-Cyclists a place to run against each other. If we can both see and compare ourselves with each other.
Comparing us to ordinary cyclists can be a bit of an exercise. Since my cadence is much lower. And I use the arms and the others use the legs. I can’t stand the pedals and give it a little extra.
On a good day and a short ride I can push myself to 1.3 w/kg but on long trips I am at 1.0-1.1 W/kg on average.
Think about it.
I love to ride Zwift and hope to attract Parasport e-Cycling and make it a real e-Sport worldwide.
!Ride On…

Brilliant! I hope Zwift agree and can act quickly on this!

3 Likes

Brilliant idea! That’s an absolute “No brainer”! Go for it Zwift!

2 Likes

I fully agree with Michael. Their are many handcyclist in this ecosystem that would like to see this accomplished. I my self am a quadriplegic and ride at an average of .03w/kg - .07w/kg.

4 Likes

As. Recumbent Trike rider on Zwift I totally agree would be great to compare my abilities to those riding similar equipment vs a traditional DF bike!!! It’s much harder to climb and make big power for long durations on three wheels

2 Likes

I’ve been riding The Alpe Dash by Herd Racing on Alpe Du Zwift the ride took 3 hours and 20 minutes.
And never have I had so much pain in my arms because of cycling.
But also a great feeling to reach the goal. <3
And with 110 watts on average. Is it a really long trip. When cycling with the arms.

2 Likes

Agreed, I’ve voted towards this. I’m not a hand cyclist but I have one arm and class myself as a paracyclist. I also requested we can custom our avatars to reflect the above, and have hand cycle options, if we can custom our hair style then why the heck not!

Ride on!

1 Like

This has been requested numerous times and as a Handcyclist myself been tryign since 2016. Best thing to do is have a search before creating a new feature request as what needs to happen is the ones that are there alerady need to be up voted.

I think the most popular one is this one, get up voting.
https://forums.zwift.com/t/paracyling-added-to-zwift-handcycles-and-recumbant-bikes/44075

1 Like

Agree. I have a spinal cord injury, can still ride a two wheeled bike, but my FTP/KG is likely around 1.25, need to test. I’ve only had two 30 min Zwift rides, averaged 75 watts. It would be cool to have a division or multiple levels for hand cyclists and/or all physically challenges riders.

Hi, I’ve just been looking at old posts as I’m interested in raising a ream for people with any mental or physical disability and at present there doesn’t seem to be one, or please correct me if I’m wrong. Is anyone interested in getting Involved as I think this would help make Zwift look at separate categories for us? If anyone is interested please let me know.

I am a 75 year old avid/compitive cyclist who has been a BK amputee for over 46 years. I ride with an artificial leg. I have raced USAC (not very successfully), and for some years now, seniors. At my age and the limitation of my artificial leg, my FTP is currently 2.4 watts/kg. I am sad to say, I have never ridden with, let alone raced against, another lower limb amputee. I am new to Zwift, but, as I slowly figure it out, love it for indoor training. I regret there is no way to ID myself or my capabilities and limitations there of, other than watts/kg. Having categories or custom avatars that help those of us with unusual circumstances to identify each other would be very helpful, and make the Zwift experience even better.