Garmin HRM no signal [SOLVED]

It is not a zwift problem because it is happening on other platforms too…I think it is more a Garmin HRM + BT problem.
What kind of device are you using: iPhone, Android, PC, Mac?

Same issue, Just bought new Garmin HRM dual, but i worked first day (Wahoo Fitness & Zwift), next day it get connected but not HR signal is received or showed in Iphone X (IOS 14.1) however I tried to pair in my wife’s Iphone SE and it work well… So HRM dual is working by itself but something in IOS is maiking it to crash.
I’m very frustrated and my wife happy with a new HR sensor!

1 Like

As I wrote before it must be a problem with a certain type of BT that is in some iPhones. Don’t think is the iOS because my iPhone XS worked fine in the beginning with iOS 13.x and after a month stopped working. It still does not work with iOS 14.x while my older iPhone 6S works great since ever.

I am facing the same issue since yesterday, my HRM dual shows NO SIGNAL…
I tried on my PC with Windows 10 and also with Android… It fails on both, either using the bluetooth of my PC or via Zwift Companion
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

I am having the same problem connecting my Garmin HRM Dual to my PC through Bluetooth on the Android companion app. It worked fine for a few weeks, now it will show, but showing NO SIGNAL or occasionally an erroneous BPM (240!).

I have tried…

• Restarting phone
  • Restarting companion app.
  • Clearing App cache on Android companion app.
  • Forgetting the Bluetooth HRM device and then re-pairing.
  • Double checking that the HRM device works fine via Ant+ to watch
  • Unpair and search again on Zwift PC
  • Making sure the phone/companion app is very close to HRM strap.

This is clearly a Zwift problem as the HRM strap is working fine in all other situations.

3 Likes

Looking in the logs is a lot of

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A04"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A04"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2AA6"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2AA6"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A05"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A05"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "6A4ECD28-667B-11E3-949A-0800200C9A66"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "6A4ECD28-667B-11E3-949A-0800200C9A66"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "6A4E4C80-667B-11E3-949A-0800200C9A66"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "6A4E4C80-667B-11E3-949A-0800200C9A66"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A29"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A29"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A24"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A24"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A27"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A27"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A26"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A26"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A28"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A28"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A19"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A19"

[14:32:17] "HRM-Dual:053105 121" adding component type: 4 (BLE)

[14:32:17] CommonPair() default: 42

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A38"

[14:32:17] Unhandled characteristic HRM-Dual:053105 for "2A38"

It is not a Zwift problem. Did you try with any other app?

I’ll add my voice to the chorus. I have my Garmin HR Dual connected to an AppleTV via the android companion app, all with BT. Three days ago everything connected as usual and my HRM was showing 75 bpm, which I didn’t think was all that odd, except that when I started riding, it stayed the same - through the whole workout. When I went to ride the next day, the HRM connected as usual with the little blinky blue button, but there was no HR reading. At that point, I figured it was a battery issue and changed the battery. Unfortunately that didn’t help and I was just getting the blue button with the message “no signal” superimposed on it. No amount of restarting apps and phone, forgetting devices and repairing helped. So I rode without the HRM.

When I went to do my final ride in the FTP builder training program yesterday I had the same problem. I tried (believe it or not) for 40 minutes to get things connected properly and then rode without the HRM. I have been riding for weeks with this setup and never had a problem before. It’s not a new HRM and everything else has remained the same too.

I’m taking a rest day today and then a slow day tomorrow and hope to take the FTP test Wednesday. My plan at this point is to connect my HRM to my Garmin bike computer and just be able to monitor my heart rate separately - not as handy as having it up on the screen, but at this point I don’t have much faith that there is another solution. I’ll test the connection during the slow ride tomorrow. Does anyone have a better idea? If not, maybe this will be a work around for some of the rest of you.

Having issues as well. Both Garmin cadence and heart rate no longer work. Was working fine until the end of October.
Android companion app and windows 10. The devices work with no problem on my 520. But they will not connect via bridging with the companion app or directly to windows.
I have followed all troubleshooting steps, changed batteries and reset Bluetooth on all devices.
Please don’t tell me this isn’t a Zwift problem and/or to try it on other platforms. That’s just confirming I should cancel Zwift and switch to another platform.

Why should we not tell you it is not a Zwift problem? I have two Polar (BLE) and a Quadlock (BLE, ANT+) HR devices, had NEVER problems to connect with Zwift. Zwifting since December 2018.

Seriously?! I have to explain that to you?

Seriously - what do you want to explain?

HR (and any other device I am using) is transmitting signal ANT+ or BLE. No matter which HR - Polar, Garmin, Wahoo or which device (I have also a p2m powermeter, transmitting BLE and ANT+).
Zwift (or another device) is receiving. Simple.

I had a dumb trainer, got a “new” (used) Tacx Neo 4 weeks ago.
I tested every possible combination, fyi:

• Zwift Win 10 PC, BLE dongle (no native BLE on my PC)
  • Zwift Win 10 PC, ANT+ dongle
  • Zwift Win 10 PC Zwift with Companion (HTC U11, Android 9)
  • Zwift Win 10 PC Zwift with Companion (HTC One Android 5 - Companion showing no map)
  • Zwift HTC U11, Android 9, ANT+
  • Jepster app for Android, BLE and ANT+ (to compare Watts from Tacx Neo with powermeter)
  • other Android apps for HR (there is no possibility in Polar apps to check battery status on Polar H7)

Tested

• both Polar H7 (BLE) - Zwift and Jepster; checked also with Polar M460 and M430
  • Quadloc HR BLE and ANT+ - Zwift, Jepster, Polar M460
  • Tacx Neo controllable, power, cadence BLE and ANT+ - Zwift, Jepster, Polar M460
  • p2m NG Eco powermeter power, cadence, left/right balance (not showing in Zwift)

And I say once more - I had never any problems.
I know, that does not help to solve your problem, sorry. But read the post from [Marko_Prekic], he also thinks it is not a Zwift problem.
It is interesting, that the most problems here seem to have Garmin devices users (often reported also with speed and cadence), mostly in combination with Apple. Perhaps it is an issue of iOS and Garmin or something like that? Never tested in Apple environment.

Ride on!

3 Likes

As Milan said I don’t think it is a Zwift problem just because in the beginning everything worked fine with both my devices and different virtual bike training platforms. After a while it didn’t work anymore with iPhone XS but I can’t remember if it stopped right after an iOS update (13.x) or not. I did the following tests (first with older iOS 13.x and with recent iOS 14.x):

• iPhone XS + Zwift + Garmin HRM dual: connects with hrm but does not display actual heartbeat (always shows 0)
  • iPhone XS + Rouvy+ Garmin HRM dual: connects with hrm but does not display actual heartbeat (always shows 0)
  • iPhone XS + FulGaz + Garmin HRM dual: connects with hrm but does not display actual heartbeat (always shows 0)
  • iPhone XS + Kinomap + Garmin HRM dual: connects with hrm but does not display actual heartbeat (always shows 0).

But if I use my older iPhone (6s, ios 12.x) it works without any problems on all platforms. There are many people having the same problem and also with different hrm and devices and I am quite sure it is not something cause by Zwift. .

2 Likes

Hi Thomas, could you please clarify? A full factory reset of which device?
I have reset a 4 month old Apple TV, re-installed Zwift on that, updated to iOS14.1 on my iPhone, deleted and re-installed Zwift companion app on that, checked that no other device has a bluetooth connection to my Bluetooth HR and I continue to get a No Signal same as your image above. At the start of trying to connect, I can see my bluetooth HR has connected on the Zwift Companion App, but then after a minute it drops out and shows an exclamation mark next to the HR connection. I have replaced the battery in the New Garmin Bluetooth HR sensor (which is only two months old). Trouble is, it was all connecting and working beautifully before I upgraded the companion app to get the Halloween additions, and upgraded my iPhone iOS and AppleTV software too!
My hubby has the exact same setup next to me and his works perfectly fine.
The other complication, is that since these updates, the only way I can get ERG to work reliably is forget about trying to connect HR, and connect to Zwift on Apple TV (Power, Controller and Cadence sensor) NOT using the Companion App bluetooth button. Any ideas? This is so frustrating.
Please note, it was all working fine before the updates - so either a device is failing or an update issue (iPhone, Companion App or Apple TV?) but pinpointing this is proving difficult. Thanks :slight_smile: Sue

2 Likes

Just a thought, but the ONLY difference in my husbands setup versus mine, is that we have different iPhone models running Companion App. His is an iPhone 8, mine is an iPhone 11. Other than that we bought two of everything at the same time about 4 months ago. (Kikr Snap’s, AppleTV’s, Garmin Bluetooth HR’s).

1 Like

Hi @_SueMe ! I also have the Kickr Snap, AppleTV, Garmin BT HRM, but have a Galaxy S9 that the Companion app runs on (and hence all bluetooth is connected thru). I was able to go back through my activities list and see that my last ride with working HRM was October 29th. On the 30th it appeared to connect as usual, but then I had a HR of 75 bpm for the whole ride… Since then sometimes it appears to pair correctly, but then I have 0 bpm. Since I am not racing, my workaround until I figure something else out is to use my Garmin Edge on the bike to track my heart rate. Another interesting thing I read today is that such problems can be caused by wifi signal dropout, and when I look at my phone’s wifi signal strength, it is not great, so now I am looking at whether something like a repeater might help improve the signal strength to my phone. I do find it interesting that a lot of us started having this problem after the latest update. Good luck!

1 Like

I am starting to agree with this. The other day, hubby and I swapped our Garmin bluetooth HR sensors. (Previously, my sensor was connecting but Zwift showing No Signal and his was working fine), when I connected with hubby’s HR sensor it all connected first time with signal and Erg worked - but for one ride test only! As soon as I bailed out of a ride and went to a new ride - No Signal. My HR sensor on hubby’s setup worked once also then went to No Signal. We both have new Garmin HRM Dual HR sensors… and it was all working pre Halloween! :ghost:

1 Like

Hi Beth, I lost my reply to you… the reply I sent was supposed to be to another user. Sorry!

1 Like

Hi Sue, that’s ok! I see above what you said, and agree that it looks like we are seeing a pattern with the post Halloween problem. Hopefully enough people who are having this problem, and there do see to be lots of threads on it in various places, will up-vote this so that the clever programming minds at Zwift can have a look. Perhaps after the next update the problem will be solved…

Hi Beth, the reply I lost was just to say thank you for your input, but also to say we have a wifi repeater and connection specifically for our bike trainer room, so wifi signal strength is good, and our Apple TV’s and iPhones connect to the same wifi network. We run Companion App off an iPhone 11 Pro and hubby has an iPhone 8s, not sure if this has an impact yet…