Game Update 1.29 [September 2022]

Anyone else seeing the irony here?

Zwift often brings out a new bike, super light or fast. Then in the next update nerfs it by adding a tonne of weight / slowing it down.

Now they’ve done the same to their slick new custom font, and made the number one look like a boat anchor.

Well done guys. Another winner :rofl:

@shooj @James_Zwift @Eric_Schlange_ZwftIn @Shane_Miller_GPLama

Did the Cadex tri bike get nerfed in the update patch? @Eric_Schlange_ZwftIn and idea?

It did not. Still as speedy as ever.

2 Likes

Here are the real problems with the new font.

It solved a problem that didn’t exist.
It had no upside, only a downside.
Even for those who don’t mind or who actually like the new font, many would question why change it? There are so many easily implemented feature requests that are ignored (landscape on the ZCA).
The change left Zwift management & developers wide open for criticism and being perceived to be disconnected from the wants of the Zwift subscribers.

The new UI is definitely an upgrade from the old, but it still needs refinement, and Zwift will get there eventually. The game has come a long way in the past two years, especially considering the near-exponential increase in subscribers and challenges with the pandemic.

I just hope that the people at the top and/or who make decisions on what & what not to change realize that making a seemingly simple change like the font can have such negative effects.

6 Likes

“ł” i rider name is now “,”, but in chat still is available… Good job :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Retried yesterday night after the last update. Put the fire socks on, verified my FTP setting was 325W, went for a ride and made a couple of sprints. At 800W there was no flames at all. I made a screenshot as well, only 768W and 10.6 W/kg but it should still be above the 150% of FTP limit :wink:

So @shooj what do you guys need to debug this? I’m on a pretty good GPU (eGPU connected to my laptop) and verified that Zwift runs on that GPU and not the internal one. It gives me “ultra” graphics settings.

I’m not sure if it’s only that my computer doesn’t show flames or if it’s that my fire socks aren’t functional :wink: I just suspect the former. Should I ask other people to check if they see flames behind me even if I don’t? Or check if I see anything when other people make flames? I’ve been riding in a few big groups where several people were wearing those socks, but I still haven’t seen any signs of this feature…

People have told me they can see fire trails when I go above 5.5 wkg - it just doesn’t show on my computer either. I joke that I got broken fire socks :wink:

I put in a ticket with Zwift and they said it was supposed to have been fixed with the patch that downloaded last week but now I have a knee issue so I can’t test whether it works or not :confused:

But it sounds like it’s still not working for you Anders?

1. IIRC, it’s only the rear wheel
  2. With the HR and Power bar up display at the bottom turned on, it makes it harder to see. You might try disabling that and going for a few 5-10s max effort sprints. If you still can’t see it, return your socks for another pair?! :man_shrugging:

It seems there is an issue with the resistance on my Wahoo Snap trainer on this update. Zero gradient feels like 1% and descending seems not less resistance unlike before.

It is working for me but like you I’m injured so I don’t put 5.5w/kg down at the moment if I can avoid it.

It’s the drive wheel. On most bikes, that is the rear wheel, but on the handbike, it’s the front wheel.

Definitely easier to see with different camera angles that let you see more behind you.

2 Likes

Your screen shot doesnt look like the ultra graphics profile, i dont see any rider shadows?

3 Likes

Interestin Bug found. You select a Pace Partner and get a map where it curently is. You wait at least 1-2 Minutes and then select Join. After Watopia has loaded you’re flying like crazy trough the map and get placed initially where you selected the Pace Bot. But its gone by now.

Happened to me as well about a month ago, but just once.

The numeral “1” is the old almost-7 version still in the “Enter Group Text” part (CTRL/CMD+M) part of the ZwiftApp, mysteriously.

I was just kind of getting used to feeling strong on my 7.5 D group rides. :rofl:

Thanks for the update and transparency of changes!

Just to loop back on another previous issue, this:

…appears to have also resolved the progressively worse ‘swipe in’ performance of the route/event selection screens, which led to the experience becoming a juddery mess over time. Seems fine now. :+1:

2 Likes

I noticed that there’s a mention in the Futureworks Steering forum that devices like the Sterzo smart can now be used to make turns on the route – evidently this was enabled in this Sept release? Can this be confirmed? I don’t see this mentioned in the above release notes. The Jetblack smart turning plate also alludes to their device being able to do the same (though not in stock yet).

As I said in that thread, the Sterzo can indeed be used to select your direction at junctions.

More details in GP Lama’s video from 3:45