External monitor for iMac recommendation

(Lukas Vodicka) #1

Hi,

I have tried Zwift twice and become an addict already :slight_smile:

Now I need to enhance my visual experience. Looking at 21 inch iMac screen with just right eye is not perfect. I cant move iMac from, where it sits (nor my KICKR), so I consider external monitor. Just for  Zwift… so I don’t care about any other monitor features that I will not be able to take advantage of.

My I have couple of questions?

1. I consider 32 inch monitor. If I buy monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution, will Zwift look okay on it provided it supports 1920 x 1080 max.? I mean: would the pixel recalculation cause some quality lost (maybe blurred edges or something)?

2. Should I care about the DisplayPort or if the monitor has only HDMI and I will use some DP -> HDMI conversion cable kit, the quality will be the same as with direct DP -> DP connection?

3. Would using AppleTV help? I don’t mean via AirPlay of course, but the following setup. iMac -> Ethernet cable -> AppleTV -> HDMI -> Monitor. The reason I ask is that I don’t know, how this connection works. Considering AppleTV has some “powerful A8 chip” dedicated just to video, I have a working with hypothesis, that this setup might work as something like graphic card upgrade. Might… if… What I don’t know is what exactly iMac sends over Ethernet to the AppleTV in case of video game running on it. If its some raw data and the graphic load is left to AppleTV, and the iMac graphic card is bypassed than this setup should work. But if the signal is video one already processed by iMac’s internal card, than this setup would be waste of money.

Please help :slight_smile:

(A Stewart) #2

I use a 27" iMAC that has a display port to HDMI connected to a 32" 720 P TV. It looks pretty good. Sure, it would look better on a 1080p or 4K, but I don’t have an extra one to spare.

I tried the AppleTV, but it can get laggy with the signal. The direct signal via a cable from the iMAC is probably the preferred method.