Event late start for duration of event

At one point in time, late start was somewhat adjustable. Many groups have tried unsuccessfully to develop schemes for those who join Endurance rides beyond the 30 minute window to include them, but they can’t see the beacon, see the lead text chat, etc. They have to “ghost ride” the event.
If an event is an hour, if the event is 2.5 hours, why is there not a mechanism to late join an event that I signed up for?

I do Agree it would be nice to set a longer Late join.

4 Likes

Yes! This would be awesome. It doesn’t have to be super duper configurable, but at least an option that enables last join for the whole event. I know that the startup screen UI has been a concern in the past, but one way to deal with that is to only show events on that list that are past the 30minute mark and have this new option turned on, ONLY IF the user has already RSVPd for the event. So this won’t add tons of new events to that list for all users, just usually a single extra event for people who have already RSVPd to those events that have started more than 30 min ago, and still allow late join.

5 Likes

Agee. Late start all the way. Also bring you up to the leader if is not a race

6 Likes

This would be great!

+1 would like to see this too.:ride_on:

1 Like

I just found this old thread. Slightly stunned to discover that this can’t be done. Feels pretty straightforward to if it’s a config item.

What do you say Zwift?

Since Zwift have so much less events now. Late join should be cut off at half duration or longer to encourage people to zwift more.

Could also be implemented as re join yellow beacon with a set number of times per ride, so as to remove the need to exit a ride and allow for nature breaks on the long rides.

1 Like

Hi Zwift. Any views on whether this is easy to do and can be implemented as a feature?

I think it would be great not to be under that 30 min deadline. Seems like that’s when tech issues occur and then you’re on your own no more lovely group to ride with.

3 Likes

Yeah, it is tough for me to tell if it is a “late join” or “just a regular issue”…sometimes AppleTV will drop me i the middle of the road at a dead stand still after “finding riders”, or “ride with” the known ride lead.

1 Like

I agree, it should be possible for organizers to set a flexible (or even unlimited) late join!

allow late join!

Late joining… yes from me

for gran fondos and such absolutely.

This would be awesome. The event start late option should also be based on distance traveled not time.

+1. At minimum if there is a connection drop or other error it should allow recovery.

Yes, this would be great, especially if it was a group leader option.

1 Like

+1 would be ideal.