Error ZL04

Get this multiple times. I have to click like 20 times in order to disappear. Any one knows how to sove this?

i get this all the rime it’s why i eventually deleted Zwift and cancelled my account. If you found a solution I would love to here it.

1 Like

Me too! Is there any solution?

Hi,

IT support sys admin here, once again kinda miffed by the poor lack of support from Zwift with this issue as it has taken me <5 minutes to figure out what is going wrong or at least causing this error.

User has domain joined laptop, Windows 10, NET framework installed (all versions), latest download from website, not being blocked by anti-virus or anything else, and they are their own local admin.

Setup process works “fine” (at least exits without failure code), until the application starts when it gives the ZL04 error.

Using MS Sysinternals ProcMon i found the issue is that it can’t find the folder C:\Zwift and then two files inside, prefs.xml and zl.ini

Of course as I’m not the developer of this software, nor do I know how this software operates, I cannot say what these files need to contain but if I create two blank files with those names, the error goes away and the application starts up but immediately hangs.

Surely these files need to be created upon first run, and that is clearly not happening.

Hopefully this is enough to get the developers to actually fix this issue instead of ignoring it.

Wow. It would be nice to see some acknowledgement from someone at Zwift to say thank you, and that they will fix it in the next release. Somewhat embarrassing that this problem was around for apparently a minimum of a year without being fixed. Does beg the question though of how the installs happened without these files being created properly? Clearly this hasn’t affected most people so there must be a special set of circumstances that leads these files to be missing.

I’ve discovered that when your Documents folder path is no c:\Users<your username>\Documents Zwift is not able to start.

I changed the location of my Documents folder to a network share (in my case u:) via properties dialog and then location, after that Zwift wouldn’t start. I reinstalled whit out a problem but I still couldn’t start Zwift.

After reverting back the Documents location to it’s original Zwift started again.

1 Like

Same problem with me. Folder problems usually are related to access control. For me it helped to add a local user with admin privs on the pc without any relation to an microsoft account. This user appears in the c:/users folder with his username and ther where no problems. I had my original user converted from an microsoft account to an local account but this is not the same as adding a local user from scratch. The converted account appeard in the c:/users folder in the folder “micro” and this might be the problem the zwift installation cannot handle.

This issue looks like its down to Windows Privelage settings , which depending on OS will have a problem with Zwifts slightly non standard location for writing files . You have to go into Windows Settings normally to just accept giving Zwift Application the permission it is asking for , i.e access to protected folders. Depending on which version of Windows you are running it might be slightly different how you do this . On windows 10 there is a specific UI section under defender around managing this … You can normally also action the required change from the notification that will be added also .

Open “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders” in the Windows Registry Editor and for the value of “Personal” enter the New path of My Documents.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! helped me

For me the registry entry was already set to the right path (H:\Documents) as posted earlier, although my Documents folder is on a network share and therefore there isnt a folder “Documents” in C:\User"Username, plainly I just added a shortcut in C:\User"Username\ that points towards H:\Documents and Zwift started flawlessly.

Hope this can help someone else.

//Tobias