ERG not working during workouts

ERG mode works fine when I’m cruising around, but during workouts it no longer works. I have ERG mode enabled on the workouts menu, and it still doesn’t work. It’s a problem during more intense workouts as I’m spinning out in top gear at only 320 watts. I’m using the CycleOps PowerBeam Pro.

Hey there!

Can you please be more specific about what is happening when you’re in Zwift? You say ERG mode works fine when you are cruising around, but not in workouts. What are you seeing in the game, and what are your expectations?

ERG mode is only used during workouts in Zwift. It functions by automatically increasing or decreasing the resistance of your controllable trainer to help you reach interval targets, and functions independently of the course gradient.

While not in workouts on a controllable trainer, Zwift uses SIM mode. It functions by adjusting the resistance of the controllable trainer to match the gradient of the course as you ride it.

Which of these modes is not working correctly, and what trainer are you set up with?

I tried a workout in ERG mode for the first time yesterday (The McCarthy Special) and didn’t get the experience I was expecting. I was being given power thresholds to meet but it was clear that the only way to achieve these thresholds was by changing gears and cadence/speed.

Shouldn’t ERG mode set a threshold (eg 250W) whereby Zwift controls the resistance on my Kickr SNAP trainer based on my cadence/speed? Note I don’t have any additional sensors on the bike I’m using.

I did the McCarthy Special today and found that I had to go into settings and turn “Trainer Difficulty” to off, otherwise the trainer brake would interfere with the interval, making 275 watts feel like 700 watts. I have a Tacx Genius Smart.

John - have you been able to use ERG mode for other workouts?

@John. I had the same thing on my Bushido. The resistance was ramping up to the point I kept having to stop.

Hi my erg isn’t working during workouts and sometimes on rides I feel wahoo kicks is not responding.  The wahoo kicker app works perfectly and changes resistance.  I’ve changed the app from my android to my iPad and the updated version but it just doesn’t work.  At times the pedals could not be moved even with my body weight.  Please advise as this is doing my head in 

Michelle - have you tried closing down the Wahoo Kickr app (after spindown) and letting Zwift control the resistance in ERG mode?

Yes.   I shut down the app and go to zwift.  I’ve tried everything.  Advanced spin down as well.  I’ve messed around with the trainer difficulty.  If I go up a hill for instance on zwift it reduces my speed but not resistance if that makes sense.  During the ftp workout it wouldn’t recognise me going over the wattage but at other times it changed resistance so much I could hardly move pedals 

Just tried it again to confirm then on beginning where I had to hold 100 watts I could hardly turn pedal… it’s never done that before at the beginning.  It just gets weirder :open_mouth:

It looks like you’ve covered off the the main things I can think of: Advanced spindown and turning off the Wahoo app. 

I’m not an expert but I’ve been using the Kickr SNAP with Zwift for over a year and haven’t had any issues. I do workouts with ERG at least twice per week and the whole platform has been very stable. I’ve also set up some friends and they’re doing fine.

I recommend that you join the Zwift Riders community on Facebook and post your issue there. You will quickly hear from users with recommendations. Much faster response time than Zwift support :slight_smile:

Hi, I have a similar experience. In Group Workouts erg mode does not kick in.

Just riding around zwift - not in a Group Workout - I do get responsiveness from my trainer. 

To be more specific…

“ERG mode is only used during workouts in Zwift. It functions by automatically increasing or decreasing the resistance of your controllable trainer to help you reach interval targets, and functions independently of the course gradient.” - Does not do this anymore for Group Workouts (I haven’t tested individual workouts yet)- It used to work fine.

“While not in workouts on a controllable trainer, Zwift uses SIM mode. It functions by adjusting the resistance of the controllable trainer to match the gradient of the course as you ride it.”Does do this.

I notice that I don’t have any workouts in the C:\Users'username’\Documents\Zwift\events\upload\workouts folder or in the Workouts\Downloaded folder.

I also notice the My Documents folder is now simply named Documents.

Any luck or updates with this?

Thanks

doma