ERG mode wattage target can get stuck during session

Hi there — did you get an answer?

I’ve got the same issue and agree that Zwift is useless with this problem.

Thanks.

Trainer: Wahoo Kickr Snap
Device with Zwift App: Samsung Galaxy S9
ANT + or BLE: BLE (since ANT+ does not work with Android)
ERG mode or SIM: ERG mode

Trainer: TACX Flux
Device: Samsung S9
Bluetooth (would love to see ANT+ work)
ERG mode

Trainer: Wahoo Kickr
Device with Zwift App: Apple TV (4th generation)
ANT + or BLE: BLE

Works fine in “Just Ride” mode.

Trainer: Tacx Neo Smart
Device: MacBookPro Mojave and companion app
ANT+ or BLE: BLE
Erg or SIM: ERG

I have this issue every time while doing a workout and it is super frustrating. Unpairing and pairing is not working even after multiple attempts.

Trainer: Tacx Neo
Device: Andriod App
ANT+ or BLE: BLE
Erg or SIM: ERG

I’ve tried re-pairing bluetooth and re-installing zwift, nothing. I’ve transferred workouts to my wahoo elemnt and the erg mode works with that. So at this point Zwift is a no go if I want to train.

1 Like

Trainer: Elite Direto
Device: Huawai p20
Bluetooth
ERG mode

Trainer: TACX Flow
Device : Samsung S9
Blutooth
ERG mode

Happening all the time when I’m on a work out or group work out gets stuck on what ever wattage I’m on after 5mins, even took trainer back to the shop and swapped it. This is really poor…

Neo2. Android companion and Win 10. I see this bug as documented here. Re-pairing didn’t fix the issue. Turning off BT and unplugging the Neo2 didn’t help either. Problem resolved by exiting companion and PC program and restarting both. Looking forward to getting a quick bug fix.

Trainer: Kickr 2017
Device with Zwift App: HP laptop
ANT + or BLE: BLE (by Companion app)
ERG mode or SIM: ERG

Not yet. but i do have some news.

So I did some trouble shooting.

In a workout I paired to my Wahoo Kickr 2018 (the newest version, firmware up to date!)

When I pair both the power and the controllable trainer in zwift to my wahoo I have the ERG mode issue where the power trends the asked figure.

To confirm this I paired my Garmin Vector Pedals to my Garmin 520. In Zwift the workout is asking me for 255w and showing me doing 250ish. However the garmin shows me at 150w if I soft pedal and 400w if I pedal hard. When doing these tests the workout figure stays pretty much constant at 250w.

However, If I pair the zwift power to my Garmin Vector 3 pedals and the controllable trainer to my Kickr everything works fine.
Go figure.

So the issue only appears when I connect Zwift power and the controllable trainer to my Kickr 2018.

So the question is:

Is this issue with my trainer?

Or is it a glitch in the Zwift software?

Same here. Stuck during workout in high wattage.
Trainer: Neo
Device with Zwift App: pc
ANT + or BLE: ANT+
ERG mode or SIM: erg

Trainer: Tacx Neo
Device with Zwift App: Google pixel 2xl

This has been happening to me the last 3 days very frustrating just as u are about to get into the workout the watts don’t adjust with it and I end up having to cut it short.

Using a tacx neo smart
Galaxy s8
Ble
Erg

I’m these same issues constantly. Wattage remains stuck high when workout switches to lower wattage interval.

Trainer:
Tacx Neo 1

Device with Zwift App:
Zwift running in Laptop with Windows 10. Companion app running in Oneplus 5 with Android 9

ANT + or BLE:
PC Running Tacx ANT+ antenna and phone with companion app running BLE

ERG mode or SIM:
ERG mode

SOLUTION FOUND. at least for me.

so i installed Sufferfest as Zwift was no longer working in workout mode with ERG enabled.
low and behold Sufferfest had the exact same issue! so definitely my trainer.

Some info:
Trainer: Kickr 2018
Device with Zwift App: issue with Apple Tv and Mac
ANT + or BLE: BLE (by Companion app)

THE SOLUTION.
launch your Wahoo Utility and connect it to your trainer.
then WAIT. wait… wait… WAIT!!!
and 2 boxes will eventually pop up.
These being:
ERG Mode Speed Simulation
and
ERG mode Power Smoothing

i kept Speed Simulation ENABLED
and DISABLED ERG Power Smoothing.

that solved my problem.

the Power smoothing in the wahoo firmware clearly has a glitch somewhere.
it def does not smooth the power.
i’m assuming that it rather copies the asked for power figure that is being fed into the trainer for it to set the resistance level.

hope this info is useful to some!

2 Likes

Trainer: wahoo kickr core
Device with Zwift App: google pixel 2
ERG mode or SIM: ERG mode (actualy changing from ERG mode while FTP test)

I’m trying to do ftp test, everything works fine, power changes for each interval just as it should. But when 20min max effort starts I’m stuck on the power of last warmup interval, changing gears don’t change anything. Tried to change gears up and down, fully stopped and started to ride again - didn’t help.

Setup 1:
Tacx Neo
Zwift Beta on Pixel 2 with Android 9
BLE direct to phone
ERG

Setup 2:
Tacx Neo
Zwift Windows 10, HP zBook G3
BLE direct to laptop
ERG

Setup 3:
Tacx Neo
Zwift Windows 10, Companion app on Pixel2 at android version 9
BLE direct to Pixel 2 (turned off laptop bluetooth to rule out interference)
ERG

ERG mode stuck in at least following scenarios:
interval 5 min @ 215W transitions to 1 min @ 255W but, no matter how fast I pedal, watts stay at 215W
5 min interval @ 175W transitions to free ride. wattage remains at 175W and does not change for next interval 4 min @ 225 W

IMHO there should be a sanity check on values received and device should quickly reset. I had problems with my cadence dropping on 4iiii precision - I can’t do 100 rpm @ 0W and likewise can’t do 200W at 0 rpm, stick some rules of thumb in there and pause game automatically.

1 Like

Trainer: Wahoo Kickr Snap
Device with Zwift App: Windows 10/ Companion app on IPhone 6s Plus

Same think just happened to me. Not new to custom workouts (intervals) in Zwift, but first time doing using my Kickr Core and the iPad app (ERG Mode). Free ride works fine and so did the warm up and cool down portions of the workout (I think…first time), but the main set intervals were as you described—when it told me to go to say 200W, the Kickr wouldn’t up the resistance so I couldn’t get above 100ish, but when the interval wattage dropped to say 100W, all of a sudden it was VERY hard to turn the pedals over and I had to stop so the power would go to zero and “reset.” I was excited to try this workout today, but this was an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience. At least it seems to be a software issue and hopefully it can be resolved soon with an update.