ERG Mode problems

I haven’t been able to do an ERG Mode workout in the past few days and that is pretty much all I use Zwift for. Trying to do 100W warmups at 300W is infuriating and I have tried something like 5 times now and not able to keep grinding away until it starts working correctly. Anyone know a fix for this? If I stop pedaling it says its dissabled ERG mode, but it wasn’t working in the first place. Problems like this make me feel like relying on Zwift is a mistake and that I should stop causing myself frustration and use something else.

It’s impossible for anyone to help you without more information.  E.g. What trainer are you using? What platform are you running Zwift on (PC, AppleTV, iPhone/iPad)? Are you using Bluetooth or ANT+? 

" I have tried something like 5 times now" what exactly are you trying?  

Have you tried opening a ticket w/ Zwift Support?

I couldn’t find a better way to report this to support. I would love it to know how you do that.

I am using an Elite Direto which I have calibrated 3 times since having this issue. Elite does not have a firmware up to try.
I am using Zwift on PC and connect with Ant+.

Sorry I am not better at reporting problems, I never have this much trouble with any other softwares to need to get good at it.

After you calibrate the Direto, do you turn it off and on again *before* using Zwift? 

Try that. And make sure the Elite trainer app is closed before you do it.

It might help.  It could be a problem similar to the one that causes the Direto to stop adjusting resistance for hills in SIM mode that is causing your ERG problems.  A trainer reboot always fixes it for me. 

If not, then the problem might be with your trainer hardware.

And by the way, the Direto doesn’t require frequent calibration.  I’ve had mine for  a couple months now, and the offset value has never changed by more than 1 (6395-6396 iirc?)

By “turn it off” are you suggesting unplugging it? I’m pretty sure there is no on/off switch. If unplugging a trainer fixes any problems that will blow my mind, I’ll have to figure out how to pop the battery out of my phone next time an app doesn’t work, haha.

Thanks for the help Joe. Much appreciated.

Yes, sorry. I have mine plugged into a power strip / extension cord - so I use the switch on the power strip to turn the trainer off/on.  Unplugging it and plugging in again will work too. :) 

There is definitely an issue (for lack of a better word) w/ the Direto + MyETraining app and subsequent control by Zwift.

When the Elite app connects to the trainer using Bluetooth (say, for a spindown calibration), I suspect it disables ANT+ FE-C - and it takes a reboot of the trainer’s firmware to reset things and allow Zwift to control the trainer again

Good luck, and let me know if it solves your problem.

No luck on simply unplugging the trainer, tried a bunch of times
You can hear the motor cycle every time you power it on, the same sound it always made. I bever use Bluetooth, I rebooted and shut down all Garmin tasks, but doing a workout in ERG mode still keeps the power at double or triple the indicated power. I did figure out how to submit a ticket, so we’ll see what they say. It took 3 months to get this trainer delivered, got 7 weeks use of it amd now worry that it needs to be sent back. Ugh.

That’s discouraging. I waited a long time for delivery of mine too, and have been using it ~ 11 or 12 weeks now.  No real problems to speak of yet (aside from the Elite app-Zwift glitch).

Garmin tasks? You mean Zwift?   

Just as an aside… when you run the spindown calibration in the ETraining app, what is the offset value that you get? Has it changed significantly since you got the trainer?  And how does it compare to the value on the sticker on/under your trainer?

According to Elite, a difference of up to -5 vs. the sticker is ok - but it should never be HIGHER than the factory offset value on the sticker.   If it is, your belt tension may be too high.  There were issues with some units having an out-of-spec pulley that tensions the belt.  On these units (Elite claims there “weren’t many” of them - but I don’t know if that means 10s or 100s!), the belts were coming off partially or completely, breaking or being otherwise cut/damaged.

You can read more about belt tension here: http://forum.elite-it.com/viewtopic.php?t=709   

and the pulley issue here: http://forum.elite-it.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=320

I guess the ‘good’ news re: the pulley problem is - if you had one with the bad part, it probably would have failed after just a few rides.  :expressionless:

What I meant in reguards to Garmin is I have tried using task manager to end tasks on Garmin background processes in an attemp to avoid conflicts.

When running the calibration spin down it has never been more than 2 off the number on the unit, usually 1 off.

Everything looks, sounds, smells fine. It just doesn’t seem to recieve the signal to adjust resistance.

What I meant in reguards to Garmin is I have tried using task manager to end tasks on Garmin background processes in an attemp to avoid conflicts.

When running the calibration spin down it has never been more than 2 off the number on the unit, usually 1 off.

Everything looks, sounds, smells fine. It just doesn’t seem to recieve the signal to adjust resistance.

Maybe you should give bluetooth a try. I got a direto too but I use it with Apple TV and bluetooth without any issues, ERG mode works fine. 

Update: Erg Mode still doesn’t function correctly. This morning Iattempted to do an Erg Mode workout and when doing a 125watt 5min warmup it seemed to be aiming for 250watts. I rode through it and it did adjust wattages after that, though not well. Either way, i can’t do workouts and am out of ideas. Support has given zero feedback on the logs I sent them.

Any ideas out there?