Elliptical - ALMOST!

I’m unable to ride since breaking my hip so I quickly attached a Garmin Bike Speed Sensor onto my elliptical trainer(see attached picture) tp try for striding, but Zwift wouldn’t recognize that sensor within the running sensor setup section. However, the sensor is recognized in the riding sensor setup section and after choosing the “unknown” trainer and selecting the largest wheel size, my bike avatar starting moving at 6-8 MPH which is a good running pace! Is there anyway that sensor could be added to the running sensor setup section with maybe stride length options so the runner avatar would work? I’d be happy to Beta test any solutions. This could open the door to more Zwift customers who are injured runners/cyclist and walkers!

No Zwift reply?

Hi @Lee_Chizum1

The zwift app look for a sensor that specifically broadcast running data, (ie pace m/s)

But it will be awesome if they could use a bike speed sensor as well, then we can just stick a speed sensor on our treadmills and calibrate it by entering a “wheel” size until it match the treadmill speed.

There is an app that does that as well, it’s called Treadmill Speed Transmitter. You should be able to find it in the Google Play Store.

It will be interesting to know if a foot pod sensor will register the smooth strides on an elliptical trainer.

No, a foot pod will not really work with an elliptical.

What I posted is an app for a Android phone that can transmit speed to Zwift.

Oh, I see, the app uses the phone’s accelerometer to calculate and send speed to Zwift. I’ll try strapping my phone to the elliptical handle, or my arm. Thanks!

There are different modes and you should be able to use it with an elliptical.

1 Like