Elliptical - ALMOST!

I’ve managed to modify my cross trainer to work with the Zwift cycling app, I put together this video explaining how I used a cheap magnetic sensor to get your avatar moving.

1 Like

There is a new solution which is very easy to setup and which allows comparison with exercise on the bike trainer. The app HR2VP broadcasts power or equivalent running speed based on heart rate and takes into account individual parameters such as FTP, weight, min HR and max HR.

With HR2VP, you can choose a cycling or running activity in Zwift as you wish.

Started using Treadmill Speed Transmitter and just use manual mode adjusting speed to match up roughly with exertion level felt and calorie counts. Easy, and can participate in running with upright elliptical and a recumbent cross trainer. Excellent hack.I can not do races but being able to use zwift is addictive.

I tried the HR2VP beta app, and I think it works pretty well. Of course there will be a power lag while your heart rate catches up to your effort, and a similar lag for your HR to slow when you ease off. But for typical endurance runs/walks/elliptical activities, I think it will be fine.

Glad to hear this is working for you!

I’m wondering if the Garmin Footpod, which is sensitive enough to pick up on stride length, will serve as a cadence sensor on an elliptical?

Or alternatively, a disc, fitted to the outside of the flywheel with a large enough diameter to be able to “strategically place” the stickers provided with The Runn. Then fitting The Runn module to side of the flywheel casing where appropriate.

Thus mimicking distance travelled as per revolution of the fitted disc with the stickers on…in line with speed and distance readings in Zwift?

Two things to try…

Furthermore, what about the new Garmin Running Dynamics Pod?

It can be worn on the waist, which I’m thinking might present an improvement over a footworn pod, while on the cross trainer?

It is not a support speed source for running or biking on Zwift. It does not broadcast speed.

That’s a shame ;(

At this point, I’m thinking a flexible footpod mount with a pillow on the floor for simulating the footstrike?

Why doesn’t Zwift dev for Run to connect with the latest ellipticals with BLE capability?

Or has anyone tried to put a Treadmill console, on an Eliptical. Such as swapping the consoles between the Life Fitness T3 and E3 for example?

I found a page on the Slowtwitch forum, with a member who seems to have some luck with the Garmin Footpod recording the strides.

YEs, the Garmin Foot Pod works but the Garmin Dynamics Pod does not.

I am using a raspberry pi to connect both my ProForm iFit enabled elliptical to zwift using bluetooth. It works great.
Search for zwifit (not a typo) on github for the software and installation instructions.

I built my own BLE peripheral sensor out of an Arduino Nano… I wrote a sketch to process the inertial sensor output for g-force and translate that into speed. It also determines the cadence from the elliptical motion. It then sends the signal to Zwift using ble. The harder you run, the more force, the faster the avatar. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good… and completely robust. You just strap it to the eliptical’s foot stepper and plug it into a small usb battery… a use one of those rechargeable credit card ones. Was quite a cool way to learn the run speed cadence GATT protocol for BLE on Zwift. Picking apart the HEX transmission was interesting.

I’ve got a elliptical to work with zwift run while I’m recovering from injury. All you need is the wahoo tickrx heart rate strap. I don’t know how it works but it also works out cadences and speed to move the running avatar. So as long as you calabrate it with zwift it work fine. I’ve read alot about footpods don’t work as you don’t have the ground contact but the tickrx works perfect for me after calabrating it to match the pace on the elliptical. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

guys, if you want elliptical support please check QZ app. Some of them are already supported and i will be happy to support more!

Hi @Dave_J_Cole Thanks for this, it’s really helpful.

Our house got an elliptical AND a Wahoo Tickr for Christmas and I was wondering how I could get the cross-trainer to work with Zwift running. From your comments it sounds like I should return the Tickr and try a Tickr X instead. Are there any issues you’ve noticed, for example is it sometimes more accurate than other times? I’m not too worried about accuracy, but I’d like something that’s at least consistent.

For anyone else interested in the Tickr X, there’s another thread here which talks about it (though not in relation to ellipticals):

Roberto, will QZ allow me to connect a Sole E25 elliptical to Zwift Run? If so, does it connect directly or do I need something else in between? Thanks!

If it doesn’t have a built-in tablet and it has Bluetooth, yes! You just need the app on the phone and zwift on a tablet for example. Send me a message on the GitHub page if you have any problem

Based on Dave J’s post, I just bought a Tickr X (already had the Tickr) to try using with my Sole E25 elliptical. I can pair the Tickr X to Zwift for speed, cadence, and heart rate without a problem. But when I try using the elliptical, my avatar just stands there stretching. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? I must be missing a step somewhere in the setup.

Thanks!

What I did. Was first calibrate the tickrx with wahoo app with a run outside it uses GPS making sure the Bluetooth works. I then closed that app and then try the zwift app and connected it via Bluetooth and just walked around to see if my avatar moved which it did. Once I got that. I calabrated zwift with the tickrx to match the pace on the elliptical and that worked for me. It took a few goes to set it up right but it did work Calabrated was hard as you have to keep a constant pace and you can’t set a elliptical like a tread mill but it worked for me. Hope that helps.

1 Like