CycleOps Hammer Difficulty/Resistance High at 100%

New owner of a CycleOps Hammer and loving it, although I’ve one complaint.

I went with a smart trainer to get the closest climbing workout I could, but 100% difficulty on a 10% climb feels like 15%, 15% like 20%. I’ve experimented with it some and found that 70-80% difficulty feels like a more accurate representation.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Hammer? Or am I being a wuss…

It’s possible. I don’t have the Hammer, but for me with the camera angle on Zwift, It’s hard to really get a sense of how steep the climb is so it feels like the trainer has too much resistance.

I am absolutely new to the world of Zwift/virtual training and I have a CycleOps Hammer as well and find the resistance to be on the aggressive side.  I know I am a tad out of “cycling shape/form”, but I should not have to be in my 39 to roll over 2-4 % short climbs.  In addition, I live where it is flat, Coastal SC, and am accustomed to rolling 53x16 for long periods of tempo riding, but cannot imagine being about to do that on the flats of Zwift.  My trainer has the latest Firmware update(s) using the PowerTap App and I did the Calibration through the Rouvy Mobile App, but did it through the Settings - Trainer & Sensors path.

Any advice and assistance in getting a more realistic feel would be appreciated, thanks!

I am absolutely new to the world of Zwift/virtual training and I have a CycleOps Hammer as well and find the resistance to be on the aggressive side.  I know I am a tad out of “cycling shape/form”, but I should not have to be in my 39 to roll over 2-4 % short climbs.  In addition, I live where it is flat, Coastal SC, and am accustomed to rolling 53x16 for long periods of tempo riding, but cannot imagine being about to do that on the flats of Zwift.  My trainer has the latest Firmware update(s) using the PowerTap App and I did the Calibration through the Rouvy Mobile App, but did it through the Settings - Trainer & Sensors path.

Any advice and assistance in getting a more realistic feel would be appreciated, thanks!

Scott,

What do you have the difficulty slider set at?

Paul:  Thank you for the response and I left the difficulty slider on the factory/default settings.  Also, I remember seeing the difficulty slider and making the decision to leave it in the default position until I understood the platform better, but have not been able to find it again, albeit, I just tried last night and only gave it 2 mins then went and showered up.  Is it in Zwift settings?

Scott,

Once you have paired the Hammer with Zwift, you’ll find it in the general settings under ‘Trainer Difficulty’. Default (I believe) is 50%.

I just did a reverse Epic KOM on Watopia, hitting some 10-15% inclines on about 75%-80% difficulty. I found it to be perhaps fractionally too difficult but otherwise right on the money.

Jeffrey:
Thanks for your reply, I found it, but cannot imagine going beyond the default setting?!.. While I know I am not training/racing 12-15 hours per week like I used to, but I should still be able to roll 53x16/15 over some minor gradients, 3-5 percent, but even that is difficult?!..

Perhaps I am just fatter and more out of shape than I knew. Cheers and enjoy!
Scott