Computrainer - Pairing then dissapears

My Computrainers suddenly does not work in zwift anymore. I launch Zwift goes to paring screen and for a couple of seconds it shows up as “power devices” then goes away.

Does anyone else have similar troubles or ideas how to fix this ?

I use the ftdi usb to stereo adapter to connect my CT to my PC.

As a backup solution i can use the PerfPRO CT smart bridge , and choose “dynastream” as power source and controllable trainer but before yesterday i always have been able to connect directly to my computrainer. (I know this solution “locks” up the com port / ftdi usb slot so I understand that the CT will not show up in pairing screen when this is running - i always restart my pc before alternating between these connection methods)

I have checked my computer , no new windows updates or driver updates have been installed so that should not be the problem.

Any ideas ?

Try a different COMM port? Go up 9 or so.

Thanks for the tip, but same result! Changed com port to port 10 , rebooted , no difference.

Dead FTDI? Does PerfPro use the stereo cable for connection?

Have you visually checked all cable, even the DIN?

PerfPro does use the same stereo cable and USB FTDI connection, and with that everything works.
So I am able to use zwift as always, I just have to use the PerfPro as a proxy solution.

It’s a solution but not a “clean” one in my mind.

Might you have a laptop or other computer to install Zwift on as a check?

Could PerfPro have changed something?

Can you run the RM1 software?

So , i installed Zwift on my laptop and connected the USB FTDI adapter to it , turned on my CT and Zwift pairs as it should with my trainer. Everything OK (on my laptop).

I guess this means that there are some software issue on my desktop, probably with zwift since other training systems detect my trainer on the desktop.

I have already uninstalled zwift (has been installed since 2015) , but I didnt remove all files & directories before i installed it again. It detected under installation that the installation folder was not empty but i went trough with the installation anyway.

Maybe ill uninstall , remove the zwift folder under program files (x86) and install again.

Should i also clear the zwift files that are under “My Documents” ?

Thanks for all the help so far :wink:

Those are your saved files. You could add old to the folder name so the install will create a new folder but you’ll still have the files just in case.

A fresh install can’t hurt.

Fresh install did not help. But when i renamed the zwift folder under my documents and restarted it worked out ok.

So that was the solution this time :slight_smile:

Success! Glad it’s working.

I was also having the same issues as noted. Forcing Zwift to create a new folder by renaming the existing folder to something else worked for me.

1 Like

I gave up on Zwift directly using Computrainer and just stick with the PerfProf CT Smart bridge. Reliable and never has any issues.

The only hiccup is if you run Zwift first and it grabs the serial port. Always run PerfPro first.

My plan five years ago was to wait until the CT died and then buy something new and fancier. Still running without hiccups. And I found a $20 CT (trainer and load generator) locally that was still in the original packing material. So I suspect that will outlive me.

So exactly what hardware are you using on the CT side that sends a signal to the Ant dongle on the PC?

“exactly what hardware are you using on the CT side …?”, I use a Windows PC with a dedicated ANT+ Dongle, an FTDI serial to USB cable. And in my case at least, it is the same PC that I use for Zwift, with a second ANT+ dongle.

PerfPRO CT Smart Wireless Bridge for Windows

That runs on a Windows PC, and makes the Computrainer into an ANT+ based trainer for Zwift.

That connects to your Computrainer via a serial port (most commonly using the FTDI serial to USB cable). An ANT+ dongle emulates a Smart Trainer using the ANT+ FE-C profile.

The Windows PC can be separate, or the same PC that you use for Zwift. You need to have two ANT+ dongles, one for Zwift and one for PerfPRO CT Smart.

Note that any other training apps you have will also work with this, e.g. TrainerRoad etc.

Stuart,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m trying to understand the interfaces going on here. CT connects to PerfPro Smart Bridge via the USB cable. PerfPro talks to Zwift via the dongles (each app needs a dongle to talk to each other). That’s correct?

That’s correct. Slightly inefficient but it is rock solid. And you can run PerPro on a second computer. And in a studio with multiple Computrainers, you can have one PC that bridges for all of them (with suitable USB cabling.)

Hey… welcome to January 2024. My computrainer is 23 years old and today I thought it gave up the ghost. I had the exact same problem… would “pair” for a few seconds on power, cadence, resistance, HR, and then just drop connection. I have a new FTDI usb that has the red & green flashing lights. The red would pulse but never saw any green… even after unplugging and plugging in (green would flash a few times and that was it). I uninstalled zwift and re-installed… still nothing worked. I was able to get zwift and computrainer to pair on an old laptop so I knew it wasn’t the cables. I finally came back and renamed my “Zwift” folder under my documents and restarted zwift. That did the trick! Back up and running!

1 Like