Coasting on Neo 2T

Yes I agree, that is a very cool feature of the Neo.

According to Neo 2T ā€“ Phantom Watts ā€“ Tacx Faqx this is a known issue with the current 2T firmware. I get the same thing but for some reason the power is slightly lower (6 or 7 W) and supertuck still works pretty much normally. Guess there is a non-zero threshold for this but it should be slightly higher.

Supertuck should be activated if the power is 10 watts or less, and speed 58 km/h or higher. The problem for me with Neo 2T is neither of these, since the power drops to 10 W or less.

I think the problem is that when I start coasting downhill on my Neo 2T, it keeps sending non-zero cadence to Zwift. Typically itā€™s about 70 rpm, and stays there forever even if I donā€™t pedal. So Zwift doesnā€™t realize that Iā€™m coasting in the first place.

I imagine using a different ANT+ cadence sensor would solve this.

Yes i have said this before. But Tacx/Garmin refuse to acknowledge. In any case unplugging seems to do the trick (for me at least)

This was fixed by the Tacx Neo 2T firmware version 34, released on January 30th. When you start coasting both power and cadence go to zero and the supertuck works flawlessly.

1 Like

I kind of have a coasting issue, I guess, when compared to the Kickr Snap I just upgraded from. On a flat surface, as soon as I stop peddling, cadence and RPMs go to zero and in just a few seconds the avatar has completely stopped. Iā€™m really disappointed in this neo2 compared to the snap. At least with that I could stop peddling for a few seconds to catch my breath. Now, boom. Iā€™m out and way behind a group. The coasting therefore is totally unrealistic. Itā€™s like youā€™re either peddling, or applying a virtual brake (pick one). Oh. It is plugged in.

It makes sense that as soon as you stop pedaling the cadence and RPMā€™s (same thing) go to zero. How long you coast, however, would depend on the gradient on which you are riding. Personally, I think it is reasonably realistic. No issues with taking a short break when cruising in a pack on the flats. Have you checked to be sure your firmware is up to date?

The FW is up to date. The problem is that when you stop peddling there is practically no coasting. I only have my experience with a kickr snap. On that, you can stop peddling and the flywheel will keep you going for a bit. On the neo2t, itā€™s as though brakes are being applied and within 15 seconds you come to a complete stop. In group rides that means if you stop peddling for even a few seconds you fall out of the group and either have to really work to catch back up or forget riding in a group. This is all on a flat road.

Wouldnā€™t you come to a stop inside 15 seconds on the flat in the real world if you stopped pedalling?

I think the most you could get away with is about 5 - 7 seconds depending on the bunch and starting speed obviously.

No. On the Kickr snap w/a flywheel, if I stop peddling for 15 seconds on level ground in a group ride, I donā€™t fall out the back and nearly stop. On the Neo2t, 15 seconds and Iā€™m at a complete stop. Seems to me the ā€œsimulatedā€ flywheel is just not implemented right. This might be a great trainer for some folks, especially those that mostly ride solo or do climbs, but if youā€™re really just using it for group rides (like me at a cat D), then its just not the right trainer for me. Guess Iā€™m going to have to call REI and arrange a return and buy the trainer I had my eye on (kickr core) before I thought Iā€™d spurge for something nicer.

I agree with Paul that in reality on the road you would come to a stop in a short space of time akin to that of the Neo2.

Iā€™d also state that if you are in a group ride and stop pedalling I would fully expect to start drifting backwards so Iā€™m not sure you can attribute that to being to the detriment of the Neo.
I donā€™t know how the Kickr Core reacts but Iā€™d be surprised if that acts much different to the Neo.

Gary, it sounds like you are wanting an unrealistic feature.

I have a regular kickr with the flywheel, but I donā€™t think I can stay in a group freewheeling for 15 seconds on a flat surface. I think there might have been something wrong with your previous one to be honest if that was the case.
They all try to simulate real world cycling as much as possible, and while we might be able to stay with a group in the draft on a slight decent, I would almost certainly come to a complete stop on the flat before 15 seconds was up unless I was travelling very fast.

I did some more testing today with a stopwatch going 30mph if I stop peddling Iā€™m at a complete stop in 8 seconds on a flat road in Zwift. Also tried to do a test ride with the D pace partner, and while with the group, if I stop peddling I fall out of the group within 5 seconds, then a few more Iā€™m completely stopped. The neo2 is plugged in, tried the factory reset using the Tacx util app, and set the Zwift trainer difficulty to zero, and the result is the same.

I did some more testing w/the bike back on the Kickr Snap. What seems to be happening is as soon as I stop peddling the watts and RPM drops to zero, so literally within a few seconds you come to a quick stop. That ended up persisting when I moved the bike back to the Snap and I couldnā€™t figure out why the difference (even after multiple spin downs on the Snap). I then uninstalled Zwift , deleted the left over directories and reinstalled it. Now the watts and RPMs donā€™t drop to zero immediately when I stop peddling. This is back to the way it was before I paired w/the Neo2t. Even though I have a bike cadence sensor paired (Duotrap s), which does go to zero when I stop peddling, Zwift nevertheless doesnā€™t report RPMs going to zero immediately. For me, thatā€™s a good thing. It means I can stop for a few seconds (catch my breath, reach over for something to drink, etc.) and not get dropped out of a group ride.

That sounds like the sticky Watt bug thatā€™s being exploited. :confused:

1 Like

Well, perhaps thatā€™s the case. The wattage doesnā€™t stick at one value then drop to zero. The RPMs reported seem to correlate to the speed of the wheel (on the snap) as I guess itā€™s estimating the watts necessary to make that RPM value. As the wheel decreases in actual speed, so does RPM and wattage. If thatā€™s a bug, I like it. In the real world, if I stop peddling on a flat road going 20mph, I donā€™t come to a complete stop within seconds unless Iā€™m riding the brake. Itā€™s more of a gradual slowing down effect. In Zwift if the RPMs and wattage drop to zero when you stop peddling at 20mph, Iā€™m at a complete stop in under 10 seconds. To me, the former is more realistic than the later, and for a casual rider it doesnā€™t lead to discouraging me from participating in group rides, or riding w/the pace partners. For me, itā€™s not about any competition but simply entertainment to keep me motivated to keep peddling. This may be a debatable topic for competitions though (e.g. inconsistencies between race participants), but I never ride in any races. Iā€™m just a weekend recreational rider. :slight_smile:

1 Like